What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
(02-03-2021, 03:34 AM)kern707 Wrote: What native (mobile optimized) applications would you like to see becoming available for the PinePhone in the near future?

I am not talking about existing applications that are currently not compatible, I am talking about applications that exist on other platforms (such as Android), but are not available for linux phones, and that you would love to have on your PinePhone.

This thread is in order to put together some opinions, that will help developers decide what the end-customer really need / want on their PinePhone, and maybe give it a higher priority.

Any input will be very much appreciated :-)

So right away I feel the need to point out that the PinePhone supports multiple OSs (which they have no control over)—all which vary for support for apps in different ways.

For example, SailfishOS, as I understand it, can actually emulate some Android apps and run them. Arguably, SailfishOS also already comes preloaded with a decent array of native apps (i.e. not Android/iOS) most would probably get use of right out the box. Other OSs like PostmarketOS or Manjaro offer what they do based on their decisions but are also limited to the desktop environment they shuffle. In the case of Manjaro, I believe they like PlasmaMobile... which is KDE whereas others like Mobian make use of Phosh which uses Gnome. Yes, I know there is nothing from stopping someone from running either desktop-distro pairing on whichever distro has an image compatible with the device... I'm merely trying to ingrain the notion that depending on what you decide to use, you HAVE guaranteed things that already work.

What I'm sure this is yet another post for getting Android/iOS apps ported to one of the OSs... in which case this entire thread is misguided if not pointless.

Pine64 has no control over what apps get developed or ported over to projects or distros they obviously do not even manage.

If your intent is to give devs some incentive to develop some app that exists in the Android/iOS space but not on Linux, then I recommend you actually go and bug the developers for those apps. The folks involved with projects like Mobian and PostmarketOS aren't likely to be able to do anything for you regardless of whatever popularity contest is held here.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Android emulation is something I believe most projects are aware of and perhaps are investigating still but go figure...

Messages In This Thread
RE: What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future? - by thatrandomguy - 03-27-2021, 07:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,198 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,527 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,945 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,482 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,611 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,674 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 994 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma