Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
Hi, I've been following the conversations on this over at the Purism site. You guys are doing great work. I'm trying to test this on Manjaro/Phosh - but not entirely sure what I'm looking for or how to be helpful. 

Following the instructions, everything seems to compile and install. To test, I directed two MMS messages with image attachment to the PP from an AT&T device. Here's what happened:

-The SMS quickly came in as expected and appeared under the AT&T inbound phone #.
-A reference to the MMS attachment appeared quickly, but appeared under a seemingly arbitrary inbound #.
-The MMS entries in Chatty all display the text "plication/vnd.wrap.mms-message" rather than the file information in your screen shot.

Also, I removed the Chatty auto-run entry and launched manually as described in the instructions (but have not built from sources). Interestingly, after exiting Chatty for a bit and re-running, Chatty detected both test messages for a second time and downloaded them again.

Quote:(I learned later that it is a good idea to build chatty from source if you want to debug issues. This way you can build in the debug symbols)
What is the source repo location?

Quote:It would be great to integrate it into mobile-broadband-provider-info  ( [https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mobile-br...vider-info), and provide a way to provide a setting to provide the MMSC settings.

Bearing in mind I've never encountered an .XSL document before and am not at all sure how these pieces fit together, I did some poking around and the fields we need appear to have already been integrated/implemented.

There is a conditional in apns-conf.xsl on the usage field of an APN entry (provider>gsm>apn). When usage is set to "mms", the logic integrates the mmsc and mmsproxy fields. The mmsproxy field is parsed to derive mmsport (from mmsproxy:port, or default to 8080).

In serviceproviders.xml, many of the carriers already have MMS apn entries defined, which appear include needed fields to set up the internet connection. I don't see obvious changes needed at this level. It looks like everything is there.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Experimental support MMS on chatty - help/testing wanted! - by kent - 01-01-2021, 12:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,443 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 937 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,569 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,960 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,120 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,629 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,214 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 129,011 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,059 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,660 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel