General getting started
(11-15-2020, 07:37 PM)wdt Wrote: If there is SD card in, likely that is what it booted from (well, uboot from emmc)
Check with lsblk, will show where / and  /boot are,,,,,  boot0 and boot1 are on emmc
If the etc/shadow (on emmc) is edited, there will be no password, just hit enter (twice)
example, not exact since I don't have manjaro booted  (18NNN,, the N stands for number)
root::18NNN::::::  ---,,, this is as I remember, this is with NO password
What you will find when you start is
root:40-to-60-semi-random-chars:18NNN:::::  --,, the semi random chars are your hashed password
no spaces
And do make a copy, just in case you screw up, when you have a copy, it ends up that you don't need it,,
and when you don't, often you go "shit, why didn't I make a copy"
For whatever it might be worth, this morning I attempted to turn the PineBook Pro on after removing the SD card.  All prior attempts were with the SD card in the slot on the right side of the keyboard.  The net results of the attempt, or test, today was that the power LED does change from RED to GREEN but the screen remains black with nothing visible on the screen.  There is no splash screen, no log-in screen, no error message, nothing.  I made additional attempts (or tests) first by pressing and holding the Left Shift button while turning the power on and holding the Left Shift until the power LED turns green.  This test was repeated twice, the first retest by holding the Ctrl key and the Left Shift at the same time then turning the power on, and the second time by holding the Alt key and the Left Shift then turning the power on.  The results in each attempt were the same:  Power LED green, screen blank with no splash or log-in screen and no errors.  All of these attempts were made with the SD card removed from the computer.  To me, this could indicate that either the software is not, or did not get, written to the eMMC and the PBP had in the past been booting from the SD card only.  Since I have not been able to do a complete boot, and I am not able to use a USB cable to connect the PBP to a desktop computer running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS to try to look at the eMMC and the general file structure on the PBP.  Even that attempt failed.  The software version on the SD is Manjaro KDE Arm 20.04.  Once a few weeks back I attempted to load Ubuntu Cinnamon 18.01, again with no success.
What should I look for and try now?  Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
General getting started - by James Good - 11-13-2020, 01:14 PM
RE: General getting started - by wdt - 11-13-2020, 02:48 PM
RE: General getting started - by James Good - 11-13-2020, 03:06 PM
RE: General getting started - by motezart - 11-17-2020, 08:28 AM
RE: General getting started - by James Good - 12-13-2020, 01:17 PM
RE: General getting started - by wdt - 11-13-2020, 03:22 PM
RE: General getting started - by James Good - 11-15-2020, 06:36 PM
RE: General getting started - by wdt - 11-15-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: General getting started - by James Good - 11-16-2020, 11:30 AM
RE: General getting started - by wdt - 11-16-2020, 01:27 PM
RE: General getting started - by ab1jx - 11-16-2020, 10:33 PM