[12.11.20 Update] Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Device Arrival & Initial Tests Thread
(11-10-2020, 08:27 AM)acid andy Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 02:06 AM)kern707 Wrote: Yes, power management seem to be a major issue, please refer to the last update I wrote on my original upper post about the power drain of my PinePhone at night, while the modem was (probably) in sleep mode and the charger constantly plugged-in, I woke up in the morning expecting a full charge of the battery, that was not the case - almost like a ghost was fiddling around with my phone as I was sleeping  Big Grin

* My assumption is that this is a power management issue, and not a charger or a charging block issue - since the phone is constantly losing charge even while connected through the night to a charger and sitting still on a desk with the screen turned off and nobody touching the phone, which is very strange.

My own experience so far is that: A. the phone's very power hungry, and B. it charges up very well provided the charger can supply enough current to exceed what the phone's using at that time.

I started off trying to charge it up from my PC's USB port while I was mucking around with the phone, with WiFi enabled, and looking at the Power Supply application Status I could see it was barely able to increase the charge (often going down to about, say, 0.15W). The PC USB port does a better job for charging if you just switch the phone off completely and leave it plugged in to that.

I don't know about your Apple charger but I've got a USB mains adapter that's rated up to 2 amps output and since I plugged the PinePhone into that today it's been charging much better. Right now it's up to 99%, Status: Charging (0.61W), Current limit 1.5A. It definitely helps that I've disabled mobile, WiFi and Bluetooth while I'm doing this.

I'm a kind of antisocial weirdo so I tend to leave mobile disabled most of the time unless I'm expecting a call, so if you're leaving mobile enabled overnight when you want to charge up the phone I wonder if that's why it's not charging so well. It will use up a lot of power. I'm not talking about just relying on the modem going to sleep by itself, I mean actually disabling it through the UI.

Thank you for your collaboration!

I have noticed that the apple charger is so weak, that while using it, my PinePhone kept on discharging regardless of the apple charger being plugged-in, the "PowerSupply" app was showing that the device is "Discharging" regardless of the tiny apple charger - so I figure out the same like you, that the apple charger is too weak.

Then I have plugged-in another charger, not by apple, but has a larger amp output, and boy did it start to charge - I was happy :-) still, it is clear that the device has a power management problem in general.

(11-10-2020, 08:27 AM)acid andy Wrote: I'm a kind of antisocial weirdo so I tend to leave mobile disabled most of the time unless I'm expecting a call, so if you're leaving mobile enabled overnight when you want to charge up the phone I wonder if that's why it's not charging so well. It will use up a lot of power. I'm not talking about just relying on the modem going to sleep by itself, I mean actually disabling it through the UI.
I am convinced that my device has shut off the modem sometime during the night (I saw it in the morning, when first turning on the screen and seeing both cellular network and Wifi icons turned from "probing" to "connected" mode), so I had no idea why still the device consumed so much energy that in the morning it was not fully charged - but then I have found out another interesting fact, the phone seem to randomly "stop" charging even when the battery is not fully charged, I do not know if this is a controlled by the hardware or software (still an open question) and it happens randomly, please refer to my last update on my original post- I have added some details there which will be of no use to duplicate :-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Updated] Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Device Arrival & Initial Tests Thread - by kern707 - 11-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 337 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,830 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,772 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 597 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,930 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma