Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge
(10-21-2020, 01:04 AM)gamelaster Wrote: Hello,

I think the SOEdge will be available very soon (in like 1-2 months by my opinion).

That was the impression I was getting from the phrasing used in the Community Update. It is also why I think now is about the right time to try to get "this is a good use case" defined for people to start getting themselves hyped about the platform, and for those who can build OS images to figure out what "value add" type things would make sense for starter images to allow new buyers to hit the ground running with more than a base OS.

(10-21-2020, 01:04 AM)gamelaster Wrote: There isn't much information about SOEdge, because developers receiving prototypes only now, and it will take some time, but step by step, the wiki will be filled with information, so also I expect more information published on next community blog. About USB SDK and normal SDK, I tried to compare it without unpacking, there isn't much differences on first sight, need to unpack it and make some bigger comparison. I will write here with results.

Thanks. 25 gigabytes is a lot to download on my current internet connection, for hardware I probably won't be able to buy until the new year. I'm really quite curious, though, what comprises the 4 gigabytes of difference and whether the larger SDK is just a superset of the smaller one.

And on the subject of low level bits, does mainline U-Boot have a defconfig which works with the SOEdge? Also, is the DTS in the mainline kernel? These sorts of things will determine just how much work it will be for the first developers to roll some software.

Licensing of the components is still a big concern of mine. A lot of what kept me away from the Khadas VIM3 (the closest competitor that comes to mind, which I was debating over for the past year or so) was the combination of Amlogic and VeriSilicon licensing making it so that I wouldn't be able to realistically distribute anything fun I did with the NPU on that board (and also the fact that they require a lot of information such as company name and telephone number just to download their toolkit).

Indeed, that is what interests me most about SOEdge: if the SDKs have all of the stuff needed to use the NPU, being able to provide starter images with things like DarkNet already installed and able to use the NPU out-of-the-box, with working examples, then that would position the SOEdge in a better place than the offerings I've considered in the past.

(10-21-2020, 01:04 AM)gamelaster Wrote: About the usage of SOEdge, I want to try to make License plate and road signs recognition + car driving recorder.
- gamiee

Awesome! So real-time image recognition for the license plates and road signs. This looks like something that is well-suited for the hardware for sure. I think image recognition would be a strong case for a ready-to-run distro. It would be good to have a "ready to go" installable image where you can copy over your code and just run it. Perhaps with some custom examples, and maybe even examples that have simple network connectivity demos built in (such as a web server displaying results/summaries, or bluetooth audio output when a desired target is recognized).

As for car driving recorder, do you mean something that records video plus stores information alongside that video that seems relevant? For example, speed and heading information along with all found license plates when coming to a stop at red lights. Or something else?

Messages In This Thread
Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by lewellyn - 10-20-2020, 06:19 PM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by KNERD - 10-20-2020, 07:56 PM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by lewellyn - 10-20-2020, 08:41 PM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by gamelaster - 10-21-2020, 01:04 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by lewellyn - 10-21-2020, 02:32 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by gamelaster - 10-21-2020, 04:32 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by KNERD - 10-21-2020, 07:14 PM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by gamelaster - 10-22-2020, 04:13 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by poVoq - 10-24-2020, 05:41 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by KNERD - 10-27-2020, 10:59 AM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by klaven - 11-18-2020, 01:15 PM
RE: Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - by tllim - 11-21-2020, 08:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chickens, Eggs, and SOEdge - Part 2 KNERD 11 6,592 11-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  New to the ecosystem - Bought the SOEDGE MrAnthony 11 9,570 02-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  console on SOEDGE Model A Baseboard bertiewooster 4 4,628 10-01-2021, 11:58 PM
Last Post: bertiewooster