Stable build and updates
Hi,

Up until today I have been using the nightly build with the latest updates as my daily driver which in heindsight, probably was not a good idea seeing as I am the kind of user who loves to tinker with absolutely zero knowledge to back it up.

After @"jed"  in his short but insightful comment "Yep" in my first thread asking how to make my new password change permanent, shared with me the https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks I have been running the terminal hot with codes adding sid repositories left and right, implementing zram, changing scale-to-fit settings, dark themes, wireguard, open-vpn etc. Shout-out to @RTP for creating the script Wipri https://github.com/righttoprivacy/wipri allowing me to easily randomize my mac adress on boot.

As for as my experience during all of this it has been a hell of a rollercoaster ride. Some of the issues I have encountered have been easy to fix such as not being able to send texts or view my inbox in Chatty, I had the wrong format selected in Region and Language. Others have been slightly harder like when my friend Carl sent me a MMS and I had to unclog my inbox and delete all messages, thanks buddy. And the most annoying has probably been trying to use firefox-esr with the no-script extension involving menus that wont dissapear, menus that never show up and ofcourse menus that dont respond.

What finally took me over the edge was when I had my SO call my phone and the "ringtone" was a constant vibration loud as hell with an accompanying sound seemingly played by a mouse with stagefright. Thus, I have now decided to stop my nightly adventures and move myself to the stable version of 20200905 because I just want a phone that more or less works while not having to worry about my own "coding skills" making a huge mess which is why I am not going to touch anything out of the box.

I have a question in regards to the updates of the stable build. After flashing it to my eMMC and doing an apt update, I see that I have exactly 80 packages that can be upgraded. Now, if I update all of them where will that take me exactly? Because if it is anywhere near the Nightly build I dont have the courage yet to go back in. Should I just not update at all until the next stable version is out or how exactly can I best try to enjoy mobian as a daily driver with low to no tinkering and high stability?

Thanks to all of you for being such a welcoming community even to people like me who have no clue what I am doing and then come here to complain about the software issues lol. You are the best.

Messages In This Thread
Stable build and updates - by ergo owl - 09-17-2020, 10:01 AM
RE: Stable build and updates - by User 18618 - 09-18-2020, 03:38 AM
RE: Stable build and updates - by ergo owl - 09-18-2020, 06:35 PM
RE: Stable build and updates - by User 18618 - 09-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,824 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,113 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Haven't seen updates in a while Zebulon Walton 3 1,186 06-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  [Fixed] Phosh crashes frequently after latest updates arno_nuehm 20 8,612 10-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Krafter
  Latest Reliable Mobian Build Confirmation Thread Katsujinken 5 2,590 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,149 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  How to check which mobian build I am running jojuma 0 715 08-29-2022, 04:44 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Glacially slow system updates on Mobian - waiting on boot 20m - 1h bujiraso 5 3,237 03-01-2022, 10:06 AM
Last Post: bujiraso
  I built a reminder app but can't seem to build a deb/snap/flatpak for it, help? ragreenburg 9 6,672 09-10-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  No updates after upgrade? jojuma 3 2,730 08-26-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bcnaz