USB C dock - hdmi adventure
(08-07-2020, 08:55 AM)NO_ob Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 01:36 AM)murak Wrote: #snip
It might be worth trying out gnome, you can install gdm and gnome then do "systemctl disable phosh" and "systemctl enable gdm" then reboot and login to a gnome desktop, I assume the second monitor will just work from there, to get back to phosh you can either re enable it and disable gdm or select phosh from the gdm login screen
Interesting timing, because today I spent installing xfce on Mobian and banging my noob-head trying to get lightdm to show up after boot so that I could choose either xfce or phosh. Long story short I disabled lightdm.service and phosh.service after concluding that gdm was installed. I was greeted with a black screen and since I don't have ssh I think I have to reflash.

But yes, next step is to have either gnome/mate or xfce running so that window managing is a little more manageable. I'll post more later, thanks for the reply!

UPDATE: I have not been successful installing lightdm, but gdm has been good to me on arch. 

On arch I have installed lots of desktop environments but few actually started after login with gdm.
xfce: black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
Cinnamon:  black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
Mate:  black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
LXDE: started but I could not start any programs
Openbox (part of LXDE): started but had severe graphic bugs and did not start any programs
Gnome: Started but instantly greeted me with a error message that said "serious error, could not recover from.." BUT, pressing the win-key on a usb keyboard lets me go to the menu from where I can start programs and use the system as normal (aside from some graphical bugs in the app grid)

On mobian I used tasksel to install mate. Tasksel seem to have configured lightdm for me and I was able to log in to mate! I´ll play some more with this but so far wlr-randr does not start :/

UPDATE2: Getting this error when trying to start wrl-randr:

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment. failed to connect to display
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 

Messages In This Thread
USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by murak - 07-31-2020, 01:36 AM
RE: USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by Ersatz - 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM
RE: USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by NO_ob - 08-07-2020, 08:55 AM
RE: USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by murak - 08-07-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by jmorris - 09-26-2020, 11:39 AM
USB C dock - hdmi adventure - by skaf2007 - 09-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb pinephone mobile dock jasmin763 2 1,710 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  USB dock - ethernet access Regula 2 3,208 07-14-2021, 11:54 PM
Last Post: TfromTexas
  HDMI troubles with Pinephone beta edition caveman250 9 8,342 05-23-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: whiteinge
  Is there any risk in plugging the PinePhone into a powered Thunderbolt dock? Mark53 2 3,312 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Mark53