Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China
Relax everyone.

I am not suggesting to stop free speech, just understand that Pine64 is in essence a partnership with a Chinese company. Pine64 has made no secret where the products are made.

Ethical concerns are certainly an issue, and each person can make their own decision on the mater.

Moderator hat off:
I too wish the world was a bit more "fair". In practical aspects, it will take time. Sometimes generations. Yes, an individual can "vote" with her/his pocket book, it just will take a great many pocket books to make somethings change in the short term. Some places have already changed, (I won't get into specifics because each specific item in itself will launch a whole discussion.)

In the case of the Raspberry Pi moving assembly from China to Wales, (aka Briton), that was simpler in most ways. They originally had 1 small board, without battery, display, keyboard, or case. They were able to get a "local" company's excess manufacturing capacity used to make RPi's. Adding different small boards later was no real issue, again no serious external hardware. Plus, 100% of the engineering of RPi's was already in England.

Moderator hat on:
So, discussing changes, (because of ethics or other reason), calmly, and stating what you would like to see different, is okay.

Blaming other people for having different ethics or behavior, or using emotional extortion is not acceptable. (I mention no names because it's not relevant yet.)

I will not be joining in this discussion, (regardless of any personal beliefs).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China - by Arwen - 08-05-2020, 05:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no ePacket shipping from China? KNERD 4 1,253 06-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: poundinitiative
  Poll: Move production outside of China? KNERD 10 9,567 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: xalius