Dev Log: Router/Firewall
I am switching my ISP, DOCSIS in a big city just too awful, unreliable, bad connections, I hated it! So, today I ordered a RockPro64. Field of Application: Firewall/Router. I did see some interest in this topic in one of the past monthly blogs. So I decided to blog my experiences here for the community to (possibly) follow my steps and avoid some pitfalls I might step into.

First of all: This is an OpenBSD based Project. The RockPro64 configuration will be the 4gb model, 16gb emmc, no wifi module. I need to connect to a VDSL2 100mbit up / 40mbit down connection and I do want to do that via pppoe.

Let's start with my network topology:
The RP64 will act primarily as a Router between a private cloud network (an actual one, 3 storage nodes, 8 compute nodes, NFV, ...), Intranet (VLANs for Private network, Guest network and home automation) and Internet, with traffic flowing through any of them. In addition to that, I have a Virtual Private Server with a bunch of public IPs, which get passed throught to the private cloud.

Due to this layout, i have to calculate in 3 NICs, 2 of them 10gbit for routing between the private cloud network and Intranet, and one gbit nic to the modem. I plan to use an Intel X520-DA2 as my network card, which should be supported by both the RP64 (according to wiki post) and OpenBSD's ix driver.

[Image: x520-da2.png.rendition.intel.web.320.180.png]

A DrayTek Vigor 165 acting as a Modem via PPPoE in bridge mode rounds up the setup.

More on this, once i receive my package, but I'm hyped already and can't wait to see, how much this baby can handle.

Messages In This Thread
Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by matosys - 06-17-2020, 03:09 PM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by matosys - 06-23-2020, 08:20 AM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by karr0n - 06-25-2020, 04:20 AM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by matosys - 07-01-2020, 01:33 PM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by matosys - 07-07-2020, 05:13 AM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by matosys - 07-08-2020, 02:00 PM
RE: Dev Log: Router/Firewall - by b4thed4wn - 10-28-2020, 02:51 PM