Better Different display
Hi all,

While i am waiting for the PBP to arrive (just ordered yesterday) i looked up the display that it had and while it isn't horrible for a 200 laptop i am thinking that an upgrade might be in place.

If i do decide to go that route http://www.panelook.com/NE140FHM-N61_BOE...38601.html seems to match all the power specs needed and such and the dimensions are close.

Apparently this display was used on some t4x0 series laptops  for Lenovo and luckily for me i have a t460s that has this panel.

I will test it out see if it works when i get my PBP
(04-24-2020, 08:18 AM)IT-That-uses-Linux Wrote: Hi all,

While i am waiting for the PBP to arrive (just ordered yesterday) i looked up the display that it had and while it isn't horrible for a 200 laptop i am thinking that an upgrade might be in place.

If i do decide to go that route http://www.panelook.com/NE140FHM-N61_BOE...38601.html seems to match all the power specs needed and such and the dimensions are close.

Apparently this display was used on some t4x0 series laptops  for Lenovo and luckily for me i have a t460s that has this panel.

I will test it out see if it works when i get my PBP

Looks like this is the similar one use in Pinebook Pro, not consider as an "upgrade".
(04-24-2020, 08:18 AM)IT-That-uses-Linux Wrote: i am thinking that an upgrade might be in place.

I think the screen will pleasantly surprise you once you start using it. it's one of the nicer screens i have used.
You would need to upgrade it to a 2K panel (not feasible with power etc) to see any real improvement.
Otherwise it will have to be a high quality IPS panel.
The stock screen is actually really bright - brighter than on many $400 laptops, not sure of the nits.
The colours are reasonable - a bit harsh and unrealistic but still just fine.

IMO the screen is really not one of the main issues with this laptop.
The trackpad and build quality are much larger issues,
....but still screen swap is a cool experiment - if you do it let us know how it goes please.
(05-01-2020, 09:28 AM)Eggmonkey Wrote: not sure of the nits.

250 nits. contrast ratio 1000:1.
(05-01-2020, 09:28 AM)Eggmonkey Wrote: You would need to upgrade it to a 2K panel (not feasible with power etc) to see any real improvement.
Otherwise it will have to be a high quality IPS panel.
The stock screen is actually really bright - brighter than on many $400 laptops, not sure of the nits.
The colours are reasonable - a bit harsh and unrealistic but still just fine.

IMO the screen is really not one of the main issues with this laptop.
The trackpad and build quality are much larger issues,
....but still screen swap is a cool experiment - if you do it let us know how it goes please.

There are WAY better 1080p panels out there. One of the best IPS screens I've seen was a convertible Sony Vaio; sharp picture, vibrant colors, bright, excellent contrast.

The PBP is comparable more to a high-res panel from 10 years ago. It's good, I like it, but it's pretty meh as far as the specs are concerned. I prefer the screen on my 2011 Macbook Pro. It makes up for the lower resolution with contrast and colors. But this panel was likely chosen for it's price, as opposed to it's performance.

I'd like to know the power requirements for the panel, but unfortunately that info doesn't seem to be available on the wiki. I think that's the most important factor. Come to think of it, how much power is available to play with from the mainboard? There may not be an upgrade option.