Charging via USB
I see it says 5V output on the adapter for PBP, am I correct to assume that I could charge it through any standard USB outlet given that I have the correct round connector to go into the PBP?
(04-02-2020, 09:43 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: I see it says 5V output on the adapter for PBP, am I correct to assume that I could charge it through any standard USB outlet given that I have the correct round connector to go into the PBP?

Yes, with a suitable "USB to type-H" cable you can charge PBP with any USB charger.
Only problem is if the charger can't provide over 2 amps then you might find the PBP won't charge when switched on and running.
Ok when switched off and a lower current charger will simply take a bit longer.
I "think"   if your charger is at or above 2 amps, you can charge via the 'USB-c'  port 

..*   (  Someone 'correct' me if I am mistaken...   I believe I have read that in several other posts. )

Of course there are variables,
if you add something like a PCIe SSD to your system you can run up the needed power requirements.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
So it doesn't take Any charge at all while running if its below 2 amps?

Regarding USB C (if this is true) then the same goes for USB C?
(04-03-2020, 08:01 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: So it doesn't take Any charge at all while running if its below 2 amps?

A running PBP takes 2 amps or so from the internal battery, more if the screen is full brightness and more if you added an NVME internal drive or any external USB device.

If you connect an official barrel 3A charger to a running PBP most of its charge current actually runs the PBP with only a bit left over for the battery so the charge level indicated will be slow to change. Worst case is - even with a charger connected the battery percentage drops with use.

The charger electronics within the PBP won't draw more than 3 amps so even connecting it to a 10 amp charger it will still take a maximum of 3 amps which may or may not be enough to charge a working PBP on high screen brightness.

If you run the PBP with an external screen and you turn the PBP screen to minimum brightness then you can charge the battery better from barrel or USB-C charger.
(04-03-2020, 09:01 AM)neilman Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 08:01 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: So it doesn't take Any charge at all while running if its below 2 amps?

A running PBP takes 2 amps or so from the internal battery, more if the screen is full brightness and more if you added an NVME internal drive or any external USB device.

If you connect an official barrel 3A charger to a running PBP most of its charge current actually runs the PBP with only a bit left over for the battery so the charge level indicated will be slow to change. Worst case is - even with a charger connected the battery percentage drops with use.

The charger electronics within the PBP won't draw more than 3 amps so even connecting it to a 10 amp charger it will still take a maximum of 3 amps which may or may not be enough to charge a working PBP on high screen  brightness.

If you run the PBP with an external screen and you turn the PBP screen to minimum brightness then you can charge the battery better from barrel or USB-C charger.

Okay,
so does that mean that even if charging through USB via barrel input on less than 2A, it will still charge the battery with it only it will not charge as fast as it depletes the battery?
(04-03-2020, 10:18 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 09:01 AM)neilman Wrote:

The charger electronics within the PBP won't draw more than 3 amps so even connecting it to a 10 amp charger it will still take a maximum of 3 amps which may or may not be enough to charge a working PBP on high screen  brightness.

Okay,
so does that mean that even if charging through USB via barrel input on less than 2A, it will still charge the battery with it only it will not charge as fast as it depletes the battery?

It'll be a slow charge if the PBP is not in use/powered off/suspended. If it's in use, you'll likely see a slower power drain.
Okay,
I was just under the impression from the first reply that it would not charge if it was not above 2A, why I was a bit confused.
I'm fine with it charging slower if it means I can bring only a USB cable and don't need the adapter as well. Battery time is crazy good on the PBP, so if I can plug it in just to extend it for a few hours if I needed, I'm all good.

Thank you all for the replies !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo P{inebook Pro not charging Ome Ko 6 1,837 11-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,700 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,358 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Pinebook Pro Stopped Charging via USB-C MickTheGeek 4 4,178 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  HArdware issues while charging user18130814200115 2 2,748 05-01-2021, 04:13 AM
Last Post: gabeeg
  PineBookPro does not charging floppy_rofling 0 1,610 02-03-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: floppy_rofling
  Screen flicker with USB-C charging bchenlee609 5 5,710 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bchenlee609
  USB-C Charging on the PBP? Paulie420 33 34,949 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: wrzomar
  Charging via USB-C Port tyha 15 19,750 07-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Last Post: iscmob
  Battery not charging via AC Adapter laissezfarrell 1 3,066 05-30-2020, 06:05 PM
Last Post: tllim