SSH for noobs on Debian
Hi all, 

I am having trouble connecting to my Pine via SSH. I am running Debian. I have attempted to follow these steps but keep getting password denied. https://wiki.debian.org/SSH 

Is someone either able to explain or point me in the right direction to steps on how to connect?

Thanks in advance!
Hmm it should be fairly simple, connect to the Pine using whatever software you wish, username and password will be whatever was posted with the distro you installed. So for lenny's debian its pin64user and password for at least one of longsleeps posted builds it was ubuntu and ubuntu
Did you create a new user?

And the command should be:

ssh ubuntu@(pine64 IP address)
Login and Password for debian img: pine64user ; password
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Is SSH enabled by default? Is iptables blocking external connections for port 22 by default? I'm not able to get any display on my HDMI but I can get the device to pull a DHCP IP address but attempts to connect to port 22 are being refused (not timing out). I don't care about video right now, command line is really all I need to do my testing but if I need to get my display working in order to SSH into the device then that's going to be a problem for a lot of users.

Can somebody verify if any Linux distro has SSH working out of the box? Also can somebody check why SSH is not working for Debian on a fresh install?

Thanks.
(05-06-2016, 12:13 AM)KuJoe Wrote: Is SSH enabled by default? Is iptables blocking external connections for port 22 by default? I'm not able to get any display on my HDMI but I can get the device to pull a DHCP IP address but attempts to connect to port 22 are being refused (not timing out). I don't care about video right now, command line is really all I need to do my testing but if I need to get my display working in order to SSH into the device then that's going to be a problem for a lot of users.

Can somebody verify if any Linux distro has SSH working out of the box? Also can somebody check why SSH is not working for Debian on a fresh install?

Thanks.

Yep, its enabled by default. Nope iptables isnt blocking port 22 (dont think it blocking anything). 
I can verify SSH on Debian works without issues - I'm SSD into it as we speak - I have a WP server running on it.

[edit] did you create a new user by any chance ? If no, what login/ pass are you using?

(05-06-2016, 04:07 AM)Luke Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 12:13 AM)KuJoe Wrote: Is SSH enabled by default? Is iptables blocking external connections for port 22 by default? I'm not able to get any display on my HDMI but I can get the device to pull a DHCP IP address but attempts to connect to port 22 are being refused (not timing out). I don't care about video right now, command line is really all I need to do my testing but if I need to get my display working in order to SSH into the device then that's going to be a problem for a lot of users.

Thanks.

Yep, its enabled by default. Nope iptables isnt blocking port 22 (dont think it blocking anything). 
I can verify SSH on Debian works without issues - I'm SSD into it as we speak - I have a WP server running on it.

[edit] did you create a new user by any chance ? If no, what login/ pass are you using?

I didn't create a new user, I took it out the box, plugged it into the wall + switch, got the IP off my DHCP server, and when I tried to SSH to it it refused my request almost immediately (no prompt to type in a username or password). I did get SSH working today by changing the password for root after hooking the PINE64 up to my TV so it looks like either root doesn't come with a password by default or changing the password triggered something.
(05-06-2016, 06:33 AM)KuJoe Wrote:

Thanks.

I didn't create a new user, I took it out the box, plugged it into the wall + switch, got the IP off my DHCP server, and when I tried to SSH to it it refused my request almost immediately (no prompt to type in a username or password). I did get SSH working today by changing the password for root after hooking the PINE64 up to my TV so it looks like either root doesn't come with a password by default or changing the password triggered something.

Yes, I dont think that root comes with a password; the default user (pine64user) is a sudoer

[edit: but did you try to connect as pine64user ---- ssh pine64user@you-ip-address ?  --- didnt you get a password prompt ?

Thanks.

KuJoe,

Are you sure you are using the right IP? I ask because the pine, with each new OS install, gets a new MAC. So DHCP would issue a new IP.

For me when I was first getting debian going my DHCP handed out about 12 IP's as I was having to reinstall often due to flash issues.
(05-06-2016, 07:04 AM)rahlquist Wrote:

Thanks.

KuJoe,

Are you sure you are using the right IP? I ask because the pine, with each new OS install, gets a new MAC. So DHCP would issue a new IP.

For me when I was first getting debian going my DHCP handed out about 12 IP's as I was having to reinstall often due to flash issues.

yea, this too. You may be connecting to a previous IP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch, Debian or other for Pinebook? cootcraig 3 6,164 05-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Last Post: cootcraig
  Pine64 will be supported by HypriotOS (a Debian Jessie based OS for running Docker) Quintus23M 9 16,684 02-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Netatalk on Debian pictus 10 13,467 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Last Post: wojciech_czyz
  How to make multicast working on ubuntu and debian brengthdom 3 6,920 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: brengthdom
Lightbulb Debian (Raspbian-like) Pander 15 21,909 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: lenny.raposo-pine64.pro
  Minimal 64bit ARM RootFS for Debian and Ubuntu umiddelb 46 63,439 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Last Post: umiddelb
  1st Debian image and further information umiddelb 13 20,280 03-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Last Post: umiddelb