Question for GNOME3 users
Last week on Manjaro I got a whole stack of updates to GNOME and some system packages. After rebooting, both gdm and GNOME give me black screens with cursors, journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell gives me a bunch of errors: 
Code:
Failed to open gpu '/dev/dri/card0':        
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Operation not permitted

Installed Budgie a little earlier to get another DE going, and to see if it'd run since it shares a lot with Gnome. It runs without any issue.

Have any other GNOME3 users experienced similar issues from the most recent updates?
(02-24-2020, 02:22 PM)tophneal Wrote: Last week on Manjaro I got a whole stack of updates to GNOME and some system packages. After rebooting, both gdm and GNOME give me black screens with cursors, journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell gives me a bunch of errors: 
Code:

Installed Budgie a little earlier to get another DE going, and to see if it'd run since it shares a lot with Gnome. It runs without any issue.

Have any other GNOME3 users experienced similar issues from the most recent updates?

yes. it broke for me in both an Xorg and wayland session, so far I've tried falling back from nesa-git to mesa with no change, going to try re-installing Gnome=shell next.
(02-24-2020, 03:20 PM)pjsf Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 02:22 PM)tophneal Wrote: Last week on Manjaro I got a whole stack of updates to GNOME and some system packages. After rebooting, both gdm and GNOME give me black screens with cursors, journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell gives me a bunch of errors: 
Code:

yes. it broke for me in both an Xorg and wayland session, so far I've tried falling back from nesa-git to mesa with no change, going to try re-installing Gnome=shell next.

Thanks for your feedback! Have you found any indication to what happened?

Don;t hold your breath on reinstalling gnome-shell Sad  Ive reinstalled the entire gnome DE and still cant get into a usable DE.
Code:

You can try adding yourself to the video group:

Code:
sudo usermod -aG video USERNAME

then restart.
(02-25-2020, 12:31 AM)icecream95 Wrote:
Code:

You can try adding yourself to the video group:

Code:
sudo usermod -aG video USERNAME

then restart.

Nah, doesn't do it.  I've also had a go at a fresh install of the new 20.02 image which does suggest video as one of the default groups, still no kind of Gnome.
Yea, tried this morning, and no luck after adding the video user.

If anyone's been able to find the cause, we should report the issue to the Gnome devs.
Yes I may have experienced the same problem. I definitely had GDM stop coming up after it had been working and I hadn't been playing with anything aside from updating when the problem appeared. But I don't remember that much about it, because I used it as a prompt to install Arch and now my mind is full of the troubleshooting steps for that.
(02-25-2020, 09:39 AM)Damon Wrote: Yes I may have experienced the same problem. I definitely had GDM stop coming up after it had been working and I hadn't been playing with anything aside from updating when the problem appeared. But I don't remember that much about it, because I used it as a prompt to install Arch and now my mind is full of the troubleshooting steps for that.

Would you be willing to try it out on your fresh Arch install, when you get it going? It would be good to determine just how far this spans.
Because the error comes from DBus, this might be an error in the DBus configuration.

Does

Code:
$ grep -r '/dev\|dri\|gpu' /etc/dbus-1 /usr/share/dbus-1

return anything relevant?
Other places to look include /usr/share/polkit-1 and /etc/polkit-1 (which are only readable as root) and /etc/pam.d.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 53,598 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Managing cpu voltage and clock speeds question. FeMike 5 6,292 05-24-2021, 10:17 PM
Last Post: generaleramon
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,572 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix
  Fedora GNOME3 now available Luke 46 64,885 11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: DarrowAtreides
  Question about graphics support mcc 11 15,394 10-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  Manjaro Arm users - What does your trackpad/keyboard conf file look like? Eggmonkey 7 7,818 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Gnome3 UI Scaling Hint Jeremiah Cornelius 0 1,433 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Jeremiah Cornelius
  OS development question vfr400racer 4 4,536 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: vfr400racer
  Question to anyone with entire system on NVMe as400 11 10,302 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Quick Question Wayland vs X Jeremiah Cornelius 3 5,370 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Samarium151