Case defect (crack)
(04-19-2020, 09:15 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Perhaps a drop of oil on the hinges may re-leave some of the stress seen on other parts of the PBP....?

but then hopefully the hinges will not get too loose and the screen flop around  ?

I tried lubricating the hinges. It seems like I didn't really manage to get the lubricant inside the hinges as I didn't notice any change in the force required to move them. 
Meanwhile I got myself some 2K glue. In the next days I'll try to fix and reinforce the broken plastic. On that occasion I'll try to lubricate the hinges again.
(04-27-2020, 06:48 AM)bigCamel Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 09:15 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Perhaps a drop of oil on the hinges may re-leave some of the stress seen on other parts of the PBP....?

but then hopefully the hinges will not get too loose and the screen flop around  ?

I tried lubricating the hinges. It seems like I didn't really manage to get the lubricant inside the hinges as I didn't notice any change in the force required to move them. 
Meanwhile I got myself some 2K glue. In the next days I'll try to fix and reinforce the broken plastic. On that occasion I'll try to lubricate the hinges again.

What lubricant did you use? I saw somebody else on the forum mentioned that oil takes a few days to work into the hinges.
(04-27-2020, 08:12 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:48 AM)bigCamel Wrote:

What lubricant did you use? I saw somebody else on the forum mentioned that oil takes a few days to work into the hinges.

I did use silicone spray. Lid opened and closed smoothly. Until today. Have a look at this:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9658&page=3
OK, it's been a while, but I'd like to share my device's fate and my thoughts. Disclaimer: This is no complaint. Just a report of my experiences that can hopefully be learnt of. I still like my PBP and hope the PBP will evolve into a robust, reliable and sustainable device. The issues I experienced may not apply to all PBPs. I do conclude though that the current mechanical design is not good enough. It is not up to the task.

So here's what happened in the meantime. I glued the cracks with epoxy and re-enforced the case around the cracks with thin fiberglass tissue (used in drywall construction) soaked in epoxy. 

On top of the cracks in the case, the spacers had broken into pieces. I measured the remains and found that the hole grid PCB I had lying around had almost exactly the same thickness. So I drilled two holes for the screws and cut out two pieces, both a little larger than the original spacers. I also tried lubricating the hinges again with some universal grease. I did not notice any relief, though. 

My fix lasted a few weeks before the cracks cracked again. This happened while I was on vacation so I had no chance to immediately fix the case again. By the time we got back home, the entire edge of the case had broken off. The brass inlays had broken out of the plastic posts. It looked very much like on the pictures @vfr400racer posted.

When I read about the availability of the replacement cases I ordered one and it arrived recently. Despite the hope the "new" pIastic really turns out to be less brittle, I decided to re-enforce the spots the hinge plates get screwed onto by filling the voids with epoxy.

I managed to transfer all components to the new case except for the touchpad. Its glued into place with strong double sided tape as it seams. And I was afraid I could damage it by applying too much force. Does anyone have a tip how to safely uninstall the touchpad?
(08-13-2020, 04:03 PM)bigCamel Wrote: OK, it's been a while, but I'd like to share my device's fate and my thoughts. Disclaimer: This is no complaint. Just a report of my experiences that can hopefully be learnt of. I still like my PBP and hope the PBP will evolve into a robust, reliable and sustainable device. The issues I experienced may not apply to all PBPs. I do conclude though that the current mechanical design is not good enough. It is not up to the task.

So here's what happened in the meantime. I glued the cracks with epoxy and re-enforced the case around the cracks with thin fiberglass tissue (used in drywall construction) soaked in epoxy. 

On top of the cracks in the case, the spacers had broken into pieces. I measured the remains and found that the hole grid PCB I had lying around had almost exactly the same thickness. So I drilled two holes for the screws and cut out two pieces, both a little larger than the original spacers. I also tried lubricating the hinges again with some universal grease. I did not notice any relief, though. 

My fix lasted a few weeks before the cracks cracked again. This happened while I was on vacation so I had no chance to immediately fix the case again. By the time we got back home, the entire edge of the case had broken off. The brass inlays had broken out of the plastic posts. It looked very much like on the pictures @vfr400racer posted.

When I read about the availability of the replacement cases I ordered one and it arrived recently. Despite the hope the "new" pIastic really turns out to be less brittle, I decided to re-enforce the spots the hinge plates get screwed onto by filling the voids with epoxy.

I managed to transfer all components to the new case except for the touchpad. Its glued into place with strong double sided tape as it seams. And I was afraid I could damage it by applying too much force. Does anyone have a tip how to safely uninstall the touchpad?

Just peel out using more force due to the strong double sided tape glue. I have peel off several and works every time. Make sure peel off evenly and slowly.
(08-13-2020, 09:18 PM)tllim Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 04:03 PM)bigCamel Wrote: OK, it's been a while, but I'd like to share my device's fate and my thoughts. Disclaimer: This is no complaint. Just a report of my experiences that can hopefully be learnt of. I still like my PBP and hope the PBP will evolve into a robust, reliable and sustainable device. The issues I experienced may not apply to all PBPs. I do conclude though that the current mechanical design is not good enough. It is not up to the task.

Just peel out using more force due to the strong double sided tape glue. I have peel off several and works every time. Make sure peel off evenly and slowly.
Thank you for the advice. I managed to get the touchpad out and transfer it to the new case. The process was a little nerve wrecking, though. The touchpad workes, but unfortunately the right button gets stuck when being pressed. I can make it release by flexing the case a little bit, but this way it's not really usable. I checked the metal bottom half of the case multiple times for a good fit. I guess I'll have to avoid using the buttons and use tapping instead. Does anybody have an advice to get the button work properly again?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggested software for use case ehcorn 4 1,931 08-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Screws on bottom case coming loose quadrantids 8 7,076 01-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: quadrantids
  Pinebook Pro Case models sundog 2 2,764 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sundog
  Minor case damage with gentle use. (Is anyone else seeing this?) hikaricore 31 34,596 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: hikaricore
  Got a case for my Pinebook Pro GhostDragon 3 4,108 09-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bastafari
  Case upgrade for my PBP robt 2 3,771 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Damon
Photo No case logo? No problem! ALBNC1974 6 7,411 06-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64