3D Printing a Pinephone Back Cover
Hey, y'all - I decided to download the 3d model of the pinephone's back cover as linked to from the wiki and give it a go through my 3d printer to see what happened.

Of course, I've only got a tiny printer, so I had to print it standing on it's side edge to get it to fit on the print bed.

The print quality wasn't high enough to actually use on my phone (I printed in PLA with 0.2mm layers for these initial attempts, will switch to a more appropriate material eventually) but it came close!

Here's a jumpy timelapse video of the case being printed that I posted to the fediverse last night:
https://toot-lab.reclaim.technology/@djs...5853072932

There are also some pictures in this thread:

https://toot-lab.reclaim.technology/@djs...1702310396

Has anyone gotten a good enough print to use on their phone yet? I'd love to hear about it!
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
I've had a couple of offers to print it in a Prusa i3, but I was waiting until it arrived so I could see if anything had changed since the release of the model, and whether all the finer details were necessary. Now it's arrived it looks to me that the catches could be redesigned for better strength when printed. Another option would be to have a solid back but flexible sides that wrap around the sides and have a slight lip on the front, giving the phone more protection from drops etc. That wouldn't need the catches at all. It's what Motorola did with some of the alternate backs for the original Moto G. It should make the buttons easier too. I'll be asking them about it when we meet later in the week.
I haven't tried 3D printing a back cover yet, but I did use the CAD model of the back cover to design a pair of cases which I've thrown on Thingiverse, along with the associated CAD files on OnShape: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4164993/comments
[Image: featured_preview_bettertux.PNG]
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to print it yet- waiting on a new extruder to come in the mail. But I'm hoping to run down to the local hackerspace later this week and give it a shot!
Would any of you skilled enough in CAD software be willing to isolate the phone's back plane shape as a simple vector and export it for me? I'd like to try setting up some skins for the Phones, but have no CAD experience, and know it would take me way too long to figure out how to export that.
(02-17-2020, 07:58 AM)tophneal Wrote: Would any of you skilled enough in CAD software be willing to isolate the phone's back plane shape as a simple vector and export it for me? I'd like to try setting up some skins for the Phones, but have no CAD experience, and know it would take me way too long to figure out how to export that.

I'm just getting into this stuff myself, but I'll see what I can come up with at some point today
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
(02-17-2020, 09:16 AM)sundog Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 07:58 AM)tophneal Wrote: Would any of you skilled enough in CAD software be willing to isolate the phone's back plane shape as a simple vector and export it for me? I'd like to try setting up some skins for the Phones, but have no CAD experience, and know it would take me way too long to figure out how to export that.

I'm just getting into this stuff myself, but I'll see what I can come up with at some point today

Much appreciated! I shouldn't need much, just the basic plane (before it starts to round at the edges) and where the camera bump resides, so I can make them into cut lines.
I know almost nothing about 3D printing other than what I've seen on YouTube. I've gathered that it's very slow and can take multiple runs to get an acceptable end product.

I am however into firearms and have seen a ton of laser stippling work and it just takes a minute or two to complete. Here's come examples of one companies work;

https://www.sharkcoasttactical.com/our-s...-stippling

Maybe it would be more cost effective to mail the back to someone, have them etch it and mail it back. If it's not very complex like Tuxx, they might cut a deal.
(02-17-2020, 09:42 AM)MIchael Wrote: I know almost nothing about 3D printing other than what I've seen on YouTube. I've gathered that it's very slow and can take multiple runs to get an acceptable end product.

I am however into firearms and have seen a ton of laser stippling work and it just takes a minute or two to complete. Here's come examples of one companies work;

https://www.sharkcoasttactical.com/our-s...-stippling

Maybe it would be more cost effective to mail the back to someone, have them etch it and mail it back. If it's not very complex like Tuxx, they might cut a deal.

Unlikely it would be more cost effective, as I have a direct line to a production facility that deals specifically with decals and vinyl. A small batch of PinePhone skins would cost less to produce than the shipping for sending it to be etched. The end goal for these would be to make them available for everyone in the Pine Store.

(Sorry I'm veering this to off topic territory, I'll dip out of here until someone @'s me, now.)

@tophneal How's this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-81IiD2...p=drivesdk
(02-17-2020, 12:37 PM)loefflerlabs Wrote:

@tophneal How's this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-81IiD2...p=drivesdk

WONDERFUL! Thank you so much!

EDIT: it appears I spoke too soon, there's some apparent differences when I overlay the template onto an image of the phone's backplate. (After getting a CAD program to open/view the file I understand exactly why.) I want to see if I can bring the decal closer to the edge/bezel of the case sides. Would anyone be able to export the pieces of the back panel as highlighted here? I'm trying in Fusion360, but I'm having no luck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 523 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,523 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,904 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 448 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 905 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Mouse for the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 21 14,632 10-04-2023, 10:24 AM
  PinePhone Wallet Case Shane 5 4,810 09-17-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: J T
  KB: Using bus powered USB peripherals with the pinephone keyboard mounted docsunset 9 35,775 08-07-2023, 06:12 AM
Last Post: mikeb
  PinePhone flex breakout board with Grove female header jnpine 0 598 08-04-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: jnpine