OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available
(02-11-2020, 05:26 AM)S265 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:04 PM)Luke Wrote: See here

Hi, has anyone run OpenSUSE? I loaded it using the SD Card. I found myself at a login prompt. I tried everything I could think of, but could not log in using
username: tux
password: susepassword.

Not sure what the problem is.

I have the same problem; and is it slow booting. I timed it at 5 minutes +.
(04-19-2020, 09:55 PM)evj Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 05:26 AM)S265 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:04 PM)Luke Wrote: See here

Hi, has anyone run OpenSUSE? I loaded it using the SD Card. I found myself at a login prompt. I tried everything I could think of, but could not log in using
username: tux
password: susepassword.

Not sure what the problem is.

I have the same problem; and is it slow booting. I timed it at 5 minutes +.

The slow boot seems to be related to the two A72 cores, it somehow takes ages to detect them. If you set a boot parameter to 4 cores it boots super fast, but of course that makes the PBP much slower, so not a good solution.
(04-03-2020, 08:00 AM)maxjrh Wrote: Manjaro and Arch Linux explicitly disable webrtc in Firefox. You have to compile it yourself (without "--disable-webrtc") or use Chromium.
The webcam works perfectly fine.

Got time to update my Manjaro installation recently, and realized that the now current Firefox version is compiled with webrtc.
Meet Jitsi and simlar finally work.

Together with the 32bit Widevine Docker (I've been strugling to build my own before the whole tsunami of virology work on SARS-CoV-2), I completes all the "nice to have" I wanted on my PBP.
Anyone thinking that Leap 15.2 would be available for the PBP?
(02-22-2020, 07:57 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: # Conclusion
  • This distro has great potential.
  • Personally I like rolling releases
  • I like that the software is very up to date, however there is an element of testing before new versions are published
  • Small  early niggels but overall very usable

Hey, thanks for your full writeup - it answered a lot of questions I had about running SUSE on the PBP... are you still using it? I want to jump in, but just checking in again now that some time has passed. For me, if I can run SUSE that would be pretty cool.... I am enjoying Manjaro ARM a lot, but players will play.....
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
(09-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 07:57 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: # Conclusion
  • This distro has great potential.
  • Personally I like rolling releases
  • I like that the software is very up to date, however there is an element of testing before new versions are published
  • Small  early niggels but overall very usable

Hey, thanks for your full writeup - it answered a lot of questions I had about running SUSE on the PBP... are you still using it? I want to jump in, but just checking in again now that some time has passed. For me, if I can run SUSE that would be pretty cool.... I am enjoying Manjaro ARM a lot, but players will play.....

Hi @Paulie420 

I have not used it for a while, mostly because of a general sd card boot problems at some time. It worked fine when I used it, so by all means try. The only thing I noticed is that it has not seen any updates since the first release. There where some issues with the number of processors that had not been properly resolved.
Hi All,

I installed the OS to a fast SD card and used it for a day, worked fine to be honest, but after doing a system upgrade the OS could not longer boot up. I tried the same with Fedora and it is still working fine...
What do you guys think? Is it worth trying again, as no official support seems to arrive to the PBP. Would love to return to openSUSE but without support for the device it does not seem remotely possible. Sad
>but after doing a system upgrade the OS could not longer boot up
I would bet that there was a kernel or uboot upgrade
The kernel and/or uboot is probably patched, to work on pbp
An update probably would not be patched,,, rpm has no convenient way to "pin" a version
There is yum-versionlock (a rpm), don't know if in suse
So, you would have to manually check and disallow kernel/uboot upgrades
--edit-- much later
So, i thought I should give it a try, real slow on 4 cores, and slow boot bug with 6
It did give me some grief re nameserver, that took a while to sort out
Really pretty tho, but I notice no updates, some months (8?) later
Oh, and it did lock on sleep
It looks like the Pinebook Pro is on the way to get official openSuse support.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Pinebook-Pro-RK3399

So far I get a blank screen after booting, but it looks as if the system started (the power button to turn it off works)
Probably a small thing needs tweaking..
(12-18-2020, 11:30 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: It looks like the Pinebook Pro is on the way to get official openSuse support.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Pinebook-Pro-RK3399

So far I get a blank screen after booting, but it looks as if the system started (the power button to turn it off works)
Probably a small thing needs tweaking..

It's a very very good news. Thank you for HCL link.

SUSE / openSUSE said many times they want to have more compatibility with ARM systems.
They uses Pinephone to demonstrate openSUSE ability to run on "unusual" hardware.
Pinephone and all Pine64 hardware are very similar, so we can expect quick results on openSUSE compatibility Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,034 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Official openSUSE: U-Boot, dtb and graphics Jojonintendo 1 2,488 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Jojonintendo
  Error Log has a few scetchy things. Manjaro Xfce SpaceLord 0 1,479 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SpaceLord
Heart PBP Arrives Tmmro, Manjaro 20.12 xfce, Seeking Install Notes/Tips/Tricks/Advice SpaceLord 4 4,279 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Last Post: SpaceLord
  XFCE Window Tiling Telefza 2 4,470 12-04-2020, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Telefza
  [Release] Fedora 32 Workstation, KDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon Images wideawake 20 19,604 11-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Tharadash
  Fedora GNOME3 now available Luke 46 64,134 11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: DarrowAtreides
  Manjaro XFCE MPV Hardware Acceleration p3pp3r 2 5,349 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Last Post: p3pp3r
  Manjaro XFCE vs. Manjaro KDE pawlinski 0 2,295 09-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Last Post: pawlinski
  Manjaro XFCE: Vastly improved experience with Picom (Compton) compositor jichu4n 2 12,452 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: jichu4n