Fedora GNOME3 now available
See here
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I just tried this. At least when running from an SD card it is slow enough to be almost unusable. Even if you enable all cores with the instructions given on the download page, things like running Libreoffice via Flatpak is massively slower than with other pbpro distros. The only thing that is almost fast enough for regular use is web browsing with Chromium.
I switched from Manjaro to Fedora on my emmc since 2-3 days and it works without major problems.
I'm just worried about 2 things :
- how kernel will be updated ? (need to flash an another image ?)
- can I build my own image ? (if builder don't want to support this image anymore, we need to switch to an another distro)

Except this, I don't really want to come back to Manjaro. Aur is best repo for computers like PBP but I prefer Fedora Smile
(02-13-2020, 03:55 AM)tuxfanou Wrote: I switched from Manjaro to Fedora on my emmc since 2-3 days and it works without major problems.
I'm just worried about 2 things :
- how kernel will be updated ? (need to flash an another image ?)
- can I build my own image ? (if builder don't want to support this image anymore, we need to switch to an another distro)

Except this, I don't really want to come back to Manjaro. Aur is best repo for computers like PBP but I prefer Fedora Smile

Hey , can you share a brief on how to switch from the stock image to fedora? 

Im referring to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architect...stallation and it seems to me i need to start by having a fedora install from which i will write the image to a microsd card via the arm-image-installer utility.

I would like to write the image to the sd card from the PBP itself  Tongue
(02-16-2020, 09:49 PM)saeioul Wrote: Hey , can you share a brief on how to switch from the stock image to fedora? 

Im referring to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architect...stallation and it seems to me i need to start by having a fedora install from which i will write the image to a microsd card via the arm-image-installer utility.

Fedora official image can't boot on PBP because of kernel issue.
I just used "official" readme : https://github.com/smithmcgriff/Fedora-o.../README.md
First, I tried on sd card, it works but a little bit slowly (my sd card is very old).
After that, I used emmc to usb adapter to flash Fedora image on my emmc.
(02-17-2020, 09:46 AM)tuxfanou Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:49 PM)saeioul Wrote: Hey , can you share a brief on how to switch from the stock image to fedora? 

Fedora official image can't boot on PBP because of kernel issue.
I just used "official" readme : https://github.com/smithmcgriff/Fedora-o.../README.md
First, I tried on sd card, it works but a little bit slowly (my sd card is very old).
After that, I used emmc to usb adapter to flash Fedora image on my emmc.

Thanks for the heads up!

I tried booting from an sd with the fedora official image, stuck on boot forever, the kernel issue you mention must be the cause. So, if get this correctly, you took  the eemc out of the computer and flashed it with an adapter ... i'll probably need to find a workaround as i dont have any adapter.
That's, right, kernel included on official image can't boot at all.
First, just for trying, I flashed image on this post on sd card : it's works, you can do it too Smile
Now I have Fedora on emmc, for this you need to open PBP and remove it from motherboard (very easy) and use usb adapter (you need to have one)

So, workaround is sd card, you just need fast one.
(02-19-2020, 09:59 AM)tuxfanou Wrote: Now I have Fedora on emmc, for this you need to open PBP and remove it from motherboard (very easy) and use usb adapter (you need to have one)

Does dd/xzcat/pv not work to right the image to the emmc while booted from an SD?
(02-19-2020, 10:12 AM)tophneal Wrote: Does dd/xzcat/pv not work to right the image to the emmc while booted from an SD?

I'm sorry but I didn't try. I preferred to flash emmc with usb adaptor.
Maybe it can work but there is many partitions and first boot configuration, so, I don't know.  Sad
Fedora already is working to officially support pinebook pro. The installer will allow to install Fedora 32 and the kernel will be supported by the Fedora community.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,455 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 365 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 816 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,846 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,333 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 52,767 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,387 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,280 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,376 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,547 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix