debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(04-13-2020, 11:58 PM)Boern Wrote: Ah, well, here's anbox running on the pinephone:

I was using the wrong image (android_1_arm64.img instead of android.img) from the archive. Bluetooth keyboard allows you to enter correct characters but looks like internet needs to be enabled and maybe touch (versus mouse) input too. I think I saw both issues on the anbox github site but will check later.

I'm just surprised it works to be honest - here's a quick photo.

.jpg   anbox-pinephone.jpg (Size: 67.33 KB / Downloads: 347)
? IS an 'Android Icon' really needed on a Pinephone desktop running Debian/Phosh ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-14-2020, 10:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ? IS an 'Android Icon' really needed on a Pinephone desktop running Debian/Phosh ?

It's a free phone. We'll put any icon we damn well please on our phone. :-p
No luck getting the network bridge to work - the script referenced here seems to be focused on snaps but it might give some clues. The attached log says nat entries are missing. Maybe apparmor is relevant too but that may need a kernel update. I guess some more reading is required.

.txt   lxc-checkconfig.txt (Size: 1.62 KB / Downloads: 193)

--

Edit: The likely solution is to build the latest version of anbox but arm64 support appears to be work-in-progress so I'll leave it for now.

Extra: The instructions listed here may work for someone. I can ping 8.8.8.8 from the container as root after setting the default gateway but last two steps produce a rtnetlink error.
Updated today, looks like Nextcloud integration is fixed! And battery life seems to be greatly improved! Oh and love that Telegram is in the build and scaled properly, fantastic Big Grin
(04-14-2020, 10:18 AM)Boern Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ?  IS an  'Android Icon'  really needed on a Pinephone desktop running Debian/Phosh  ?

@Boem

SORRY  !

Not my intent to Provoke  or  Offend anyone

Open Source is for everybody.

LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
SMS/text

I just flashed the newest release ( April,13, 2020 ) to an SD card,  using the GUI  I cannot originate a text message ?
  ( I can still receive and reply )

My other SD card has April, 06, 2020 release with updates through April 15, 2020 and I could originate text messages ?

Thanks,  GREAT OS  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-15-2020, 06:41 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:18 AM)Boern Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ?  IS an  'Android Icon'  really needed on a Pinephone desktop running Debian/Phosh  ?

@Boem

SORRY  !

Not my intent to Provoke  or  Offend anyone

Open Source is for everybody.

OFF!!!

I don't think anybody should be offended by this totally valid question. When the Pinephone Brave Heart was announced and could be bought many other Linux sites got flooded with questions like: whatsapp, messenger, android, etc. The only thing why these people were interested because the Pinephone is cheaper then a Samsung Galaxy whateverthefreck.

Jesus in heaven, this is a damn Linux phone if you want android go and buy an android phone. If you don't like Google, than use LineageOS or /e/, but people let the guys work on the Linux distros, as this phone was intended to help the mobile Linux endevours to thrive not the frecking android again. If someone wants to have android on the Pinephone, then do it but start a new thread and leave this one to those who are interested in Debian. We have a separate thread for /e/, go there. I don't care.

That is my honest opinion, don't really care if I offend anyone. Cool
From my point of view, getting anbox to work on debian+phosh is about software not ideology. I'm not interested in the politics, I'm just in it for the tinkering.  Wink

The developers recommend snap installation (found an arm64 version here) but since the hello-world snap fails with a cgroup freezer error, it's not going to install without a kernel update.
I gave it a try, and to be honest, I was suprised it worked at all, and without requiring that much tinkering! I guess the anbox devs have done a pretty good job so far Wink

(04-16-2020, 02:33 AM)cefre00 Wrote: this is a damn Linux phone if you want android go and buy an android phone.

Well, that's the whole point of free software: to have the freedom to do (almost) whatever you want with it. If anyone wants to have an Android OS and/or Android apps on a PinePhone, I won't argue with them.

(04-14-2020, 10:18 AM)Boern Wrote: It's a free phone. We'll put any icon we damn well please on our phone. :-p

Indeed Smile

Now for something completely different: there's a bunch of important upgrades coming soon, including u-boot and the kernel. You might want to backup your data during the week-end, as this won't be an easy upgrade, and most of you will most likely want to simply re-flash your PP.

The good point is, these upgrades should allow interesting things on the power management side, as suspend now works fine, with the modem (usually) waking up the phone on incoming calls and SMS Smile
The next release will also bring "crust" support (power management firmware, which allows deep sleep), but as of now we can't wake up from deep sleep on modem interrupts, so we'll have to stick with s2idle for some time...
And based on a few quick tests, audio quality during phone calls seems to have improved too, which can't be a bad thing.

Just teasing Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,906 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,146 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,675 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion