debian+phosh running on PinePhone
Well I tried the March 22nd image off a-wai's website both on my SD card and my eMMC. I get the splash screen, it boots, and then once the desktop loads it crashes. I have zero modifications made and I tried to redownload several times.

So I came back and I tried to build it myself today. I had the same issue that the other user @fpb4 said and I use whatever kernel comes with it
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
(03-27-2020, 05:56 PM)buffer Wrote: Well I tried the March 22nd image off a-wai's website both on my SD card and my eMMC. I get the splash screen, it boots, and then once the desktop loads it crashes. I have zero modifications made and I tried to redownload several times.

So I came back and I tried to build it myself today. I had the same issue that the other user @fpb4 said and I use whatever kernel comes with it

hmmm...?

I am a simple GUI user,  I download,  flash my SD card with Balena Etcher, put the SD card into my phone.
 >   Voice phone calls work both in and out going,
 >   Text works both directions,
 >  Contact book works,
 >   wifi works for surfing,   though the browser is in need of some help, it does 'work'  (no youtube video, yet)
 >  I am having trouble with data,  but that could be a fault with my old recycled sim card, I am waiting for a replacement from AT&T in the mail.
      ( While attempting to connect with data I got message my plan does not include data, but it does, but I do think that message was from the internet)
     ( I believe AT&T is blocking my connection at this point, new sim card will hopefully fix that )

May not sound like technical advice,  but try holding the power button for a full 4 seconds before releasing it.
    I did have a problem when I held it for 2 seconds, phone started, but not properly..
      Just my experience so far.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
dd should work just as good as etcher.

Has anyone tried earbuds with the built-in microphone? That's all I have, I don't have a headset and I was wondering if it works on images:

1) pre-March 22
2) March 22 or later

Waiting for Monday so I can try a usable image.

BTW I think @bcnaz seems to imply he's been running apt update, I'm installing image from dd every single time.
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
Hey all! Just thought I'd mention something I've noticed, and this might just be my unit, but who knows. When booting up the PinePhone with the latest Debian Phosh updates, it starts out by making a quiet, but noticeable, high pitched screech that persists until it's plugged in or removed from a charger for the first time after boot and makes that little "click-click" sound. I thought this might just be a weird artifact of me updating my system over and over instead of just reflashing with a new image, so I tried flashing the March 22 image to a new SD card, and it seemed to be fixed, but after updating everything to the latest version, the issue popped back up again. Not sure what's causing that, but I figured y'all might want to know.
(03-28-2020, 04:54 PM)fishbowlkraken Wrote: Hey all! Just thought I'd mention something I've noticed, and this might just be my unit, but who knows. When booting up the PinePhone with the latest Debian Phosh updates, it starts out by making a quiet, but noticeable, high pitched screech that persists until it's plugged in or removed from a charger for the first time after boot and makes that little "click-click" sound. I thought this might just be a weird artifact of me updating my system over and over instead of just reflashing with a new image, so I tried flashing the March 22 image to a new SD card, and it seemed to be fixed, but after updating everything to the latest version, the issue popped back up again. Not sure what's causing that, but I figured y'all might want to know.

I've definitely had that issue too! I have it across operating systems, ever since it came out of the box and I turned it on it does this.
Smile 
Wow! Smile 

I have my pinephone since 26/03 en started to experiment with various operating systems. I'm really impressed by "debian+phosh". I've flashed it to the emmc of my pinephone with jumpdrive.

And debos-pinephone/build.sh works great to customize some things. Interesting! I've learned a lot new things. (Minor detail, debos-pinephone/build.sh doesn't work when you try to run it from a ZFS partion.)

Thanks!
(03-29-2020, 05:48 AM)janw Wrote: I have my pinephone since 26/03 en started to experiment with various operating systems. I'm really impressed by "debian+phosh". I've flashed it to the emmc of my pinephone with jumpdrive.
Thanks Smile

(03-29-2020, 05:48 AM)janw Wrote: (Minor detail, debos-pinephone/build.sh doesn't work when you try to run it from a ZFS partion.)
That sounds like something you should report to debos upstream Wink
It's sunday, so a new image is available Wink

In addition to what I mentioned in my March 26th post, this image includes firefox-esr (tweaked the best I could to make it usable on the PP) and file-roller (archive manager) as well as a few additionnal tweaks under the hood.
SMS notifications are now enabled by default, but the messages might not appear in the chats list before a reboot.

Please note that, as we switched to Debian testing, it is highly recommended that you install the new image instead of upgrading through apt.
(03-29-2020, 08:34 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 05:48 AM)janw Wrote: (Minor detail, debos-pinephone/build.sh doesn't work when you try to run it from a ZFS partion.)
That sounds like something you should report to debos upstream Wink
I think it's more a problem to report to ZFS Wink

Code:
2020/03/29 18:46:22 bmaptool create debian-pinephone-20200329.img > debian-pinephone-20200329.img.bmap | bmaptool: ERROR: cannot generate bmap for file 'debian-pinephone-20200329.img': the file-system does not support "SEEK_HOLE" and "SEEK_DATA" but only provides a stub implementation
2020/03/29 18:46:22 bmaptool create debian-pinephone-20200329.img > debian-pinephone-20200329.img.bmap |
2020/03/29 18:46:22 Action `Create block map file` failed at stage Postmachine, error: exit status 1
(03-29-2020, 09:49 AM)a-wai Wrote: It's sunday, so a new image is available Wink

In addition to what I mentioned in my March 26th post, this image includes firefox-esr (tweaked the best I could to make it usable on the PP) and file-roller (archive manager) as well as a few additionnal tweaks under the hood.
SMS notifications are now enabled by default, but the messages might not appear in the chats list before a reboot.

Please note that, as we switched to Debian testing, it is highly recommended that you install the new image instead of upgrading through apt.

No cigar mate - same with the last build (vanilla from your repo, default kernel). Boots, stands by a perfectly visible lock screen, unlock, diplays phosh GUI for a couple seconds and dims to a dark screen (well it seems only to a too low backlight) - pressing power button brings back up a visible lock screen.

Started post Mar 15th build (the last known working).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,105 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,904 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,213 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,108 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,246 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,674 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion