mesa-git build script for latest panfrost
Works fine on Debian bullseye aarch64, and installing mesa git seems to have fixed video playback in Firefox. Thanks for the script!
@xmixahlx Thanks for your effort in this!
Success with my build on @danielt stock arch64 Bullseye. Using your minimal lines for config knocked out the pesky dependencies for nVidia and unused external integrations.

I found that I didn't have a whole X11 development installation, and that the arm64 build from debbootstrap left out some Python3 goodies that I thought were covered. I can supply those as dependency checks, if you like.

First impressions are it's VERY snappy now. Switching to the Gnome3 overview is crisper and use of a transparent terminal Gnome Extension renders very smooth and quickly. My page-tearing when scrolling a full-screen Firefox goes away. Anecdotally, this is a number of great improvements, if not a formal benchmark.

A+
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
(01-28-2020, 08:40 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: @xmixahlx Thanks for your effort in this!
Success with my build on @danielt stock arch64 Bullseye. Using your minimal lines for config knocked out the pesky dependencies for nVidia and unused external integrations.

I found that I didn't have a whole X11 development installation, and that the arm64 build from debbootstrap left out some Python3 goodies that I thought were covered. I can supply those as dependency checks, if you like.

First impressions are it's VERY snappy now. Switching to the Gnome3 overview is crisper and use of a transparent terminal Gnome Extension renders very smooth and quickly. My page-tearing when scrolling a full-screen Firefox goes away. Anecdotally, this is a number  of great improvements, if not a formal benchmark.

A+

definitely please share any steps needed for the script to work as intended. others will benefit. glad this is working so well for you.
(01-28-2020, 09:27 PM)xmixahlx Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 08:40 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: @xmixahlx Thanks for your effort in this!

First impressions are it's VERY snappy now. Switching to the Gnome3 overview is crisper and use of a transparent terminal Gnome Extension renders very smooth and quickly. My page-tearing when scrolling a full-screen Firefox goes away. Anecdotally, this is a number  of great improvements, if not a formal benchmark.

A+

definitely please share any steps needed for the script to work as intended. others will benefit. glad this is working so well for you.

The deps required by any good build environment, not included in build-essential are:
bison
flex

Missing Python deps from a base install are:
python3-setuptools
python3-mako

X11 and Wayland build dependencies are:
wayland-protocols
wayland-dev
libx11-dev
xorg-dev

The last two meta-packages include a large number of libraries that would have to be tracked as some dozen or much more individual dependencies.

Because most users are starting with a debbootstrap and a couple simple tasksel items, plugging these holes should get them off the ground!
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
interesting. I expected the build-dep mesa to install most of these. I will add to the script.
(01-29-2020, 04:55 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: interesting. I expected the build-dep mesa to install most of these. I will add to the script.

Yeah, me too. After apt search for the 3rd libxxx-dev, I got the other meta-packages instead of cherry-picking and passed config.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
I recommend adding "set -e" to the top of the script, so that e.g. a failure to cd to $DEVDIR won't result in mesa getting plopped into the working directory. ("set -e" is good shell scripting practice in general.) Also, I recommend replacing:

Code:
git clone --depth=1 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa.git

with:

Code:
test -d mesa || git clone --depth=1 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa.git

so that it won't try to clone mesa if it's already been cloned.

Neither of these are major issues, and apart from the inevitable "what packages are actually needed" problem any script like this will face, this seems pretty good.
great. thanks. if the git directly exists it just displays an error and moves on. i agree your input is the preferred non-lazy approach. Smile

I also see I failed to mkdir -p $DEVDIR here at the top which is my usual approach.
I hope I didn't come across as knocking your scripting—far from it, I found the script refreshingly well-structured and commented for a shell script. Smile

Finally had the chance to try it in depth myself. I can confirm increase in stability and performance, including the ability to use GTK+3 apps under X11. Wayland broke, but 1) I don't care and 2) I'm pretty sure it was because of something I did during the "which packages does this actually need" stage.
np. love the input, it's how we all expand our knowledge. Smile

i've updated the script to to require minimal dependencies after some confirmations, as well as fixed a build issue on debian unstable.

also confirmed working well for stable/buster on a separate install.

cheers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  kernel build script for latest mainline manjaro kernel xmixahlx 42 57,466 07-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  sway-git build script for latest wayland wm xmixahlx 2 5,368 03-27-2020, 02:46 PM
  openarena build script xmixahlx 4 6,559 03-20-2020, 10:25 PM
  i3blocks Manjaro battery status script Gerhard 0 2,886 01-05-2020, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Gerhard