Windows 10 IOT
(01-26-2016, 12:20 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:38 AM)pine.tree Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 08:35 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 08:05 AM)pine.tree Wrote: Just to note, here's a video i found of Microsoft apparently using Windows on an ARM processor.

https://youtu.be/xKc_XGuvNIk?t=69

Hoping for Windows 10 though! Big Grin

Unfortunately that video was made back in 2011, during Microsoft's experimental phase with ARM. Their focus has switched away again since then...

As one of the comments to that video says:

Event Handler
It's now 4 years later and nothing of that stuff which is shown in the video is available... Sad

Yeah... it's a real shame. But i'm sure that if Pine64 shows interest with Windows 10, Microsoft might give support. I certainly hope so, anyways. Smile
There is hope, the Windows 10 IoT will support on Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC which is same ARM A53 CPU as Pine A64. Here is the announcement:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2...p-updates/

I just looked around a bit, and i found out that there is a version of Windows 10 for the DragonBoard 410c. Which uses the same ARM A53 processor as Pine64. The download is listed here. The direct download for the DragonBoard 410c version is here. Can someone test to see if this would work on the Pine64? (I don't get mine until March Tongue)

Hope this helps. I've no idea what the compatibility with these things are like, but i assume if something is built for a certain processor, it works  on all board containing it. Feel free to correct me.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
This is Windows IoT and NOT Windows 10!
These operating systems are totally different.
Windows IoT has no desktop environment or something else. It's a system for "Internet of Things".
(01-27-2016, 06:58 AM)JulianM Wrote: This is Windows IoT and NOT Windows 10!
Windows IoT has no desktop environment or something else. It's a system for "Internet of Things".

Got it. I'll add that to my list of things to remember.  Undecided
Negative!
Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows 10, it uses pretty much the same APIs, etc. !
Of course it does not have a UI shell of full Windows 10 edition, but it is still an edition of Windows 10.
(01-30-2016, 12:21 PM)Andru Wrote:
Negative!
Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows 10, it uses pretty much the same APIs, etc. !
Of course it does not have a UI shell of full Windows 10 edition, but it is still an edition of Windows 10.

I guess we'll know for sure when someone tests it! Apparently all IoT versions have some sort of "new graphical interface", according to their website. I get my Pine+ in March, I guess I'll have to wait Tongue
Well, from what I'vevbeen able to research, it seems there "should" be some sort of Windows IoT support available for the PineA64. If the Dragonboard supports it using the same ARM processor, then I imagine it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get it working for the PineA64 as well. I would be looking forward to seeing this work with the IoT Core....
Just to clarify for everyone...  Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows 10 for IoT devices that DOES run on ARM processors, and should be able to run just fine on Pine64 once Microsoft releases a build for it.  Currently it's only available for Raspberry PI2, Minnowboard MAX, and Dragonboard 410, however with the success of Pine64 and Microsoft's plans to spread the Windows 10 IoT through out the ecosystem, I imagine that it won't be long before we get a build for Pine64 too.

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm
To disambiguate for any one who swings through this thread in the future and is confused by the discussion, the practical take away here is Windows 10 IOT Core isn't going to provide you with access to a lot of every day personal computing( like internet browsing) if any at all, but will provide you with a full set of Windows functions for designing gadgets and scripting things.

Just wanna make sure that's expressly stated for the neophyte enthusiasts. I've been that guy searching for a straight answer and not finding it :/
Just a quick FYI in case you run into problems. The easiest way to fix Windows is by installing Linux over the top of it...
(02-02-2016, 05:30 PM)MasterC Wrote: Just a quick FYI in case you run into problems. The easiest way to fix Windows is by installing Linux over the top of it...

+1

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to share pine folder with windows? ealbers 2 3,564 09-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Tool chain to write Pine 64 linux apps on a Windows Dev machine SvdSinner 2 4,331 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Windows 10 Maximum 11 12,951 07-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Ghost