Has your NVMe affected your battery at all?
(01-17-2020, 07:58 AM)tophneal Wrote: Eh. I have my PBP right now, but not any spare SDs (all at home.) I'll look through the KDE package list and see if I can find it, and check its dependencies. It might not require too many additional dependencies (I can always remove them once I'm done, too.)

EDIT: So I was wrong. There is some Power stats available to me in this image. Here's what Power Statistics showed me for the battery:

[Image: WQcNlH0.png]

What charger was used while you took this screen ?
It is charging from a USB-A to barrel cable, that's plugged into a USB2 hub in my monitor at work, in that photo. I can't use the stock charger here, b/c the closest empty plug is on a UPS with a dead battery. I'll likely have to wait another month when we move buildings to setup a better charging situation while I'm at work.
Hmmm and with stock charger it also does not charge above 16% ?
(01-17-2020, 08:57 AM)as400 Wrote: Hmmm and with stock charger it also does not charge above 16% ?

I will have to check that out this evening. The stock charger is a bit too bulky to carry in my bag (general shape of the wart makes packing other stuff into the bag difficult.) Since posting this morning, it does go above 16%. I think the 16% is due to 2 factors: I left the PBP booted into Manjaro to drain the battery before I went to a game night session last night, and (possibly, but hopefully not) the 30W USB power brick/beefer USB-to-barrel cable is not providing sufficient enough power. I'm really hoping the second isn't it since the same setup works well for charging my PB1080, and I'm running out of available outlets.

Since 66% is the magic number I want to get above, I've booted back into CrOS (it seems to have better battery usage/management) put it to sleep, and am going to leave it to charge while at work. I'll switch back to the OEM wall wart to charge it once I get home. Though something tells me, it'll be tomorrow before I know if I can get back above 66%. (I forgot how long these battery can take to charge from dead.)
(01-17-2020, 09:12 AM)tophneal Wrote: 30W USB power brick/beefer USB-to-barrel cable is not providing sufficient enough power.

I bet this is the cause. Especially if it's from USB2 port - they usually deliver less power.

(01-17-2020, 09:12 AM)tophneal Wrote: (I forgot how long these battery can take to charge from dead.)

Yes, they charge long. Even not from dead.
I honestly figured USB2s power limitations wouldn't have been to limiting since the power output had been sufficient to run a Pine A64, RPi3B, AML-S905X-CC, OPi PC, and a Vim1, without any issues at all. (Only issues I ever had were from grabbing a micro USB cable to power the RPi, that was data only.) The only power difference I've noticed between those boards and the PBP, is the +.5A the PBP uses. The power brick SHOULD be able to handle that, but it could also be the cord's fault.
I have really good power brick --> http://www.baseus.com/product-409.html?lang=en-us
But, to be honest, I have never seen pbp taking more than 2,47 A.
I have a new alternate USB cord arriving later today, and a pair of modern bricks that will hopefully work well. I made sure they matched the power requirements from the wiki. I'll probably try it out, too.

Quick edit: I just opened up the PBP (sleeping CrOS on emmc) and CrOS is giving me a battery level indication of 70% (and climbing!) 66 has been surpassed! I'll still be doing testing later to compare the 3 potential charging setups. Hopefully, though, the PBP is fully charged by the time EOD rolls around and I can verify no loss in battery health. Now I do wonder if this was a combination of high power consumption from the NVMe drive, and how Linux handled the drive once installed.
(01-17-2020, 09:56 AM)tophneal Wrote: I have a new alternate USB cord arriving later today, and a pair of modern bricks that will hopefully work well. I made sure they matched the power requirements from the wiki. I'll probably try it out, too.

Quick edit: I just opened up the PBP (sleeping CrOS on emmc) and CrOS is giving me a battery level indication of 70% (and climbing!) 66 has been surpassed! I'll still be doing testing later to compare the 3 potential charging setups. Hopefully, though, the PBP is fully charged by the time EOD rolls around and I can verify no loss in battery health. Now I do wonder if this was a combination of high power consumption from the NVMe drive, and how Linux handled the drive once installed.
There are messages scattered thoughout the forum, but
just FYI,  here's one thread about power issues with USB devices...https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8643

I didn't have to configure my internal NVME al all,  and it has been fine.  When I was using a USB-C attached  device with sd ports, ethernet, HDMI,  with just the ethernet port being used (I did this when the wifi was not working properly), even while pluugged into mains,  the battery would lose power slightly.   I have a couple of older samsung portable ssd's (T1's).  I plugged one in yesterday and could see faster battery depletion. It was working fine but after hearing about your experience,  I did not leave it infor very long....  I have used it as my boot and only drive on an rock64 and a pineh64,but of course, no battery was involved.
(01-17-2020, 01:47 PM)belfastraven Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 09:56 AM)tophneal Wrote: I have a new alternate USB cord arriving later today, and a pair of modern bricks that will hopefully work well. I made sure they matched the power requirements from the wiki. I'll probably try it out, too.

There are messages scattered thoughout the forum, but
just FYI,  here's one thread about power issues with USB devices...https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8643

I didn't have to configure my internal NVME al all,  and it has been fine.  When I was using a USB-C attached  device with sd ports, ethernet, HDMI,  with just the ethernet port being used (I did this when the wifi was not working properly), even while pluugged into mains,  the battery would lose power slightly.   I have a couple of older samsung portable ssd's (T1's).  I plugged one in yesterday and could see faster battery depletion. It was working fine but after hearing about your experience,  I did not leave it infor very long....  I have used it as my boot and only drive on an rock64 and a pineh64,but of course, no battery was involved.

The Rocket Nano I purchased was a NVMe drive, installed onto the adapter board. Here's the one I purchased. I was as careful as possible after my first folly, where Arwen pointed out I bought the wrong type of NVMe.

I've noticed that with USB3 after putting some NVMe SATA drives I purchased by accident into enclosures. I'd see about an hour or 2 shaved off the battery's up time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad replacement battery? chris88233 3 255 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: tllim
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  Bypassing the Battery gilwood 0 193 02-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  PBPro Battery specification Perl6_user 3 442 12-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: DrYak
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 940 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak