Major keyboard problems! Plz help
Good Morning Pineland -

First, I am not really a noob even though this issue will sound like it! I have used Linux almost 20 years and ARM chips about 5...

Got my new Pinebook64 Pro a few days ago and love it. Couldn't wait to try some other distros. But I could not get it to boot from the MicroSD any way I tried. Ran updates, etc. to no avail. Then I tried the keyboard update for ANSI keyboard and it seemed to run fine, and requested a reboot.

After the reboot, the keyboard is mapped completely differently and I can't even enter the username or password.

I booted with an external keyboard, which works fine, and checked the keyboard setup, which was still reporting US English. I added a second layout, deleted the US English, and re-added US English. No dice.

So I guess my questions are:
  • How do I get the correct keyboard layout back?
  • And, once I do that, how do I get the MicroSD to boot?
Thanks to all who read this!

Tim
Lucko666

"Just say Angry to smilies.    
I'd suggest verifying you downloaded the ANSI FW updater, and running the keyboard step again.

Did you just update using apt, or did you run the update script? (indicator resides in the bottom panel.) The lack of SD booting implies you may be on a BSP u-boot. There's an update for the default Debian that patches that u-boot to prioritize SDs.
First, let me say I fixed this already.

It was the ANSI updater. I used Luke's line-by-line method, not the script. After the "Step 1" part it asked for the reboot which was when the borking happened.

My solution was almost too easy. I booted with en external keyboard which had no problem typing. I went to the update directory and ran Step 2 et voila (after the next reboot) all was copocetic!

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if the thread is posted, but if it is I can clarify the situation and fix in case it happens to others.

Tim
Lucko666

Oh, I guess I did just explain my fix.

I will repost the booting portion of the question elsewhere, thanks all.

Tim
Lucko666

(01-16-2020, 01:38 PM)tim2@timshome.com Wrote: Good Morning Pineland -

First, I am not really a noob even though this issue will sound like it! I have used Linux almost 20 years and ARM chips about 5...

Got my new Pinebook64 Pro a few days ago and love it. Couldn't wait to try some other distros. But I could not get it to boot from the MicroSD any way I tried. Ran updates, etc. to no avail. Then I tried the keyboard update for ANSI keyboard and it seemed to run fine, and requested a reboot.

After the reboot, the keyboard is mapped completely differently and I can't even enter the username or password.

I booted with an external keyboard, which works fine, and checked the keyboard setup, which was still reporting US English. I added a second layout, deleted the US English, and re-added US English. No dice.

So I guess my questions are:
  • How do I get the correct keyboard layout back?
  • And, once I do that, how do I get the MicroSD to boot?
Thanks to all who read this!

Tim

That is the expected behavior, check closely with the post. On the What you'll need section.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8407

It says you have to have an external USB keyboard attached to it or you can access to the Pinebook Pro via ssh.

Chip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 975 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 788 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,703 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  ISO keyboard Pinebook pro for sale tgrauss 3 3,509 11-01-2022, 04:45 AM
Last Post: tgrauss
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,832 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,143 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  Selling PineBook PRO with ISO Keyboard + NVME firefox-58 27 17,849 04-08-2022, 06:23 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  Selling PineBook PRO with ANSI Keyboard + NVME woodeen 3 3,039 11-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Last Post: luca22
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z