Fried eMMC?
I have a Pinebook Pro. I did the following:
  • I flashed the Manjaro image on the eMMC from Debian running on from the SD card. That rendered it unbootable, it only lit up both LEDs if I tried to power it on.
  • I concluded that it must have a corrupt bootloader or u-boot on the eMMC, so I removed it. It then booted fine from the SD card.
  • I did the trick where I reinstalled the eMMC and then switched on the eMMC switch just after the machine started booting. It booted from the SD card and recognized the eMMC.
  • I then zeroed out the first few MBs of the eMMC in order to nuke the defunct bootloader or u-boot. After a few seconds the machine hung, I though it was because it filled its RAM with IO cache, no big deal.
  • Since it must have gone past the bootloader already, I reset the machine - and after that it never showed the eMMC drive again. It doesn't show up in /dev, it isn't shown in gparted. Dmesg only shows one line containing mmc1, it's about clock speed being set. I misplaced my USB eMMC reader, so I can't test it using that. I tried using rkflashtool, it shows this:
Code:
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v5.2
rkflashtool: info: Detected RK3399...
rkflashtool: info: interface claimed
rkflashtool: info: MASK ROM MODE
rkflashtool: info: Flash ID: 00 00 00 00 00
rkflashtool: info: Flash Info:
       Manufacturer: Samsung (0)
       Flash Size: 0MB
       Block Size: 0KB
       Page Size: 0KB
       ECC Bits: 0
       Access Time: 0
       Flash CS:
but it shows the same even if I remove the eMMC. (I had to patch rkflashtool and add the pid of rk3399 because it wouldn't find the pbp) Did I fry the module somehow? How to test it further before ordering (and waiting for) another eMMC reader? (I want to order a new eMMC too if this one is really fried and I don't want to pay for shipping twice)
(01-15-2020, 03:25 PM)matega Wrote: I have a Pinebook Pro. I did the following:
  • I flashed the Manjaro image on the eMMC from Debian running on from the SD card. That rendered it unbootable, it only lit up both LEDs if I tried to power it on.
  • I concluded that it must have a corrupt bootloader or u-boot on the eMMC, so I removed it. It then booted fine from the SD card.
  • I did the trick where I reinstalled the eMMC and then switched on the eMMC switch just after the machine started booting. It booted from the SD card and recognized the eMMC.
  • I then zeroed out the first few MBs of the eMMC in order to nuke the defunct bootloader or u-boot. After a few seconds the machine hung, I though it was because it filled its RAM with IO cache, no big deal.
  • Since it must have gone past the bootloader already, I reset the machine - and after that it never showed the eMMC drive again. It doesn't show up in /dev, it isn't shown in gparted. Dmesg only shows one line containing mmc1, it's about clock speed being set. I misplaced my USB eMMC reader, so I can't test it using that. I tried using rkflashtool, it shows this:
Code:
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v5.2
rkflashtool: info: Detected RK3399...
rkflashtool: info: interface claimed
rkflashtool: info: MASK ROM MODE
rkflashtool: info: Flash ID: 00 00 00 00 00
rkflashtool: info: Flash Info:
       Manufacturer: Samsung (0)
       Flash Size: 0MB
       Block Size: 0KB
       Page Size: 0KB
       Access Time: 0
       Flash CS:
but it shows the same even if I remove the eMMC. (I had to patch rkflashtool and add the pid of rk3399 because it wouldn't find the pbp) Did I fry the module somehow? How to test it further before ordering (and waiting for) another eMMC reader? (I want to order a new eMMC too if this one is really fried and I don't want to pay for shipping twice)
When you reinserted the emmc, did you press the reset button (reset and recovery buttons are 28 on wiki drawing) afterwards?
Quote:When you reinserted the emmc, did you press the reset button (reset and recovery buttons are 28 on wiki drawing) afterwards?

Multiple times. I even fully removed power in between tries.
(01-16-2020, 12:59 AM)matega Wrote:
Quote:When you reinserted the emmc, did you press the reset button (reset and recovery buttons are 28 on wiki drawing) afterwards?

Multiple times. I even fully removed power in between tries.

Have you tried to use the rkdeveloptool to flash the emmc ,  rather than rkflash?   I've never had to patch it--I've used it on a rockpro64.  The source is here

more info

here

I believe it is available in some distributions as well.  

I'm wondering what you are actually seeing with rkflashtool.   I thought  (from the wiki)  that the EMMC was a Sandisk device, not a Samsung....
You're sure, also, that the switch is in the proper position?..I just ask becuase I sometimes have gotten switches in intermediate positions,  because I am a klutz...

It would be good if you could find your EMMC adpter...  Smile
With the eMMC inserted and no SD card, my pbp goes into maskrom mode, doesn't matter if I use the recovery button or not. I can't seem to do anything in this state, I can't even reset it:
Code:
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool ld
DevNo=1 Vid=0x2207,Pid=0x330c,LocationID=102    Maskrom
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool rid
Reading flash ID failed!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool rci
Read Chip Info failed!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool rfi
Read Flash Info failed!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool db rk3399_usbplug_v1.19.bin  
Opening loader failed, exiting download boot!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo rkdeveloptool rd
Reset Device failed!
If I insert my 16G Samsung uSD card, boot it and execute `reboot loader`, it gets into loader mode, but then the only thing it sees is the uSD:
Code:
DevNo=1 Vid=0x2207,Pid=0x330c,LocationID=102    Loader
Chip Info:  43 30 33 33 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 30 31 56
Flash ID: 45 4D 4D 43 20
Flash Info:
       Manufacturer: SAMSUNG, value=00
       Flash Size: 14992 MB
       Block Size: 512 KB
       Page Size: 2 KB
       Access Time: 40
       Flash CS: Flash<0>
I've tried swapping and switching the eMMC multiple times, I'll make some more tries but I'm fairly confident I toggled the switch correctly Smile The USB adapter might as well have disintegrated, I can't find it anywhere.
(01-17-2020, 08:03 AM)matega Wrote: With the eMMC inserted and no SD card, my pbp goes into maskrom mode, doesn't matter if I use the recovery button or not. I can't seem to do anything in this state, I can't even reset it:
Code:
DevNo=1 Vid=0x2207,Pid=0x330c,LocationID=102    Maskrom
Reading flash ID failed!
Read Chip Info failed!
Read Flash Info failed!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo ./rkdeveloptool db rk3399_usbplug_v1.19.bin  
Opening loader failed, exiting download boot!
matega@neofelisnebulosa:~/build/rkdeveloptool$ sudo rkdeveloptool rd
Reset Device failed!
If I insert my 16G Samsung uSD card, boot it and execute `reboot loader`, it gets into loader mode, but then the only thing it sees is the uSD:
Code:
DevNo=1 Vid=0x2207,Pid=0x330c,LocationID=102    Loader
Chip Info:  43 30 33 33 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 30 30 31 56
Flash ID: 45 4D 4D 43 20
Flash Info:
       Manufacturer: SAMSUNG, value=00
       Flash Size: 14992 MB
       Block Size: 512 KB
       Page Size: 2 KB
       Access Time: 40
       Flash CS: Flash<0>
I've tried swapping and switching the eMMC multiple times, I'll make some more tries but I'm fairly confident I toggled the switch correctly Smile The USB adapter might as well have disintegrated, I can't find it anywhere.

Hmm.. RIght now I can't really open my pbp to try removing everything--hands not working very well, or I'd try for you to see what a working EMMC should look like.  I'm curious, though,  If the PBP is in maskrom mode,  and doesn't think there is any EMMC or SD card installed,  you should still get some kind of ID back from the SPIf lash.... but it looks like that is not happening.  If you have a chance can you  get into maskrom mode without SD or EMMC installed,  and see if you get anything different?  That might give some insgiht into whether the EMMC is being seen in any way.    You might have to press recovery to get to the spi flash--I can't remember off-hand....
There are some good news and some bad news. I've found the eMMC reader (and another one is on its way to me from the store along with a spare 16G module). The reader and the module both work, and despite my attempt to zero the eMMC out from the PBP in the beginning, its contents seemed intact (had a partition table on it and a hex editor showed content on it in the first kB). I tried flashing the default Debian image onto it, but the PBP doesn't boot from it (goes into maskrom mode) nor does it acknowledge it in any way.

I've tried going into Maskrom mode without anything installed, the output is the same.

Sadly it seems to me that either
  • there is something wrong with the eMMC module in a way that the USB adapter can see it but the PBP can't, or
  • something in my PBP is broken, either in hardware or software(?)

Does the PBP contain modifiable code that is used in booting from the eMMC?
The bloody silkscreen on the bloody PCB is labelled counter-intuitively. The eMMC is enabled if the switch is in the "DIS" position. Now it works fine. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,118 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
  Doesn’t power on after flashing emmc badguru 3 1,138 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: badguru
  eMMC problem with Tow-Boot/u-boot on SPI repa 3 1,615 02-21-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: repa
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 2,957 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM
  Unable to Boot anything (emmc or SDcard) line72 5 1,895 01-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: nfms
  What OS have you recently flashed onto PBP eMMC? jcun4128 6 2,245 11-26-2022, 09:39 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Unable to boot from emmc after flashing it rfm83 3 1,681 11-08-2022, 10:59 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  Pinebook picky about which EMMC will boot flatulent_piney 8 2,885 11-05-2022, 06:03 PM
Last Post: ajtravis
  After Flashing eMMC, Will Not Boot Mossbot 5 2,229 09-28-2022, 06:22 PM