Pine64 makes snappy file server
Got my pine64 2GB 3 days ago: so far so good !

I installed/updated the latest longsleep Archlinux system with Xfce4.
Only snafu so far is the Chromium problem reported in this forum.

My goal is to use the pine64 as a file server to my home network.
Installed samba via pacman, configured the smb.conf file and was up and running.

With the help of the friendly folks at altdrive.com I was able to install
the altdrive Java-based backup service, including its GUI client.

I will give this setup a little time to settle, and then will swap out my old trusty i386-based server.
(05-01-2016, 11:30 AM)RaimundEge Wrote: Got my pine64 2GB 3 days ago: so far so good !

Installed samba via pacman, configured the smb.conf file and was up and running.

I will give this setup a little time to settle, and then will swap out my old trusty i386-based server.

Have you thought of running OwnCloud?
(05-01-2016, 11:30 AM)RaimundEge Wrote: Got my pine64 2GB 3 days ago: so far so good !

Would you mind posting the steps you had to go through to get AltDrive working?
This is how I installed the arm version of altdrive:

run AltDrive_1_92_Linux_x86_64_005.sh install script my 64-bit PC running Debian.
Then copy the /opt/altdrive_wbhome directory over to my pine64.
Replace the jre with a link to the ARM jre on the pine, replace the x86_64 swt.jar with a
link to the aarch64 swt.jar on the pine. Update the altdrive_wbhome_client
path to the swt.jar and remove "-client" from the invoke line at the end of the script.
Thanks for that info. I've done each of those things, and I can start the backend service as well as the console-based client (which does me no good because you need the GUI one for the initial setup), but when I start the GUI-based client, it exits a couple seconds later with nothing in the logs or on the console. I can launch other SWT apps, so my problem isn't that JAR (though that would have been a reasonable first assumption). Did you run into that behavior? And is there by any chance anything else you did that that wasn't in your description above that might have had an effect?

Also, were you using the Oracle HotSpot JRE, the OpenJDK one, or another one? And which version number (1.7, 1.8, etc.) was your JRE?

Thanks for your help.
Tim
Have you checked this log file:
~/.altdrive-wbhome/ui.log ?
(10-13-2016, 07:37 AM)RaimundEge Wrote: Have you checked this log file:
~/.altdrive-wbhome/ui.log ?

Yeah, it's empty (0 bytes long), though if I delete it and rerun the client script, it gets recreated.  Content does get written there if I run the client-console executable, but unfortunately it's not possible to configure AltDrive from that.

I (and AltDrive support) assumed initially that this was an issue with an incompatible version of SWT, but I was able to run an example SWT app using that JAR (and I confirmed it's the same version they depend on), so I don't think that's it.  And it's hard to tell what it's doing, because it exits too quickly for me to get a profiler or a debugger with a breakpoint attached (even with suspend=y, it still exits before the breakpoint goes active), and thread dumps haven't told me much that's useful.  So I was hoping that maybe there was something you'd forgotten to list in your steps (or something you'd previously done to the Pine's OS) that might explain why it worked for you but not for me.
Sorry to hear that altdrive is not working yet. It has been working nicely for me since May.

I since have moved on to Ubuntu for my pine. The steps I reported work reliably for my Ubuntu setup when I installed 2 recent altdrive updates.

What I remember about my ArchLinux system (with xorg & xfce4) was that I had used the openjdk JRE and compiled swt from sources.
In order to get altdrive_wbhome_client going I vaguely remember that I had to turn one of the command line arguments to the java invocation from true to false or vice versa. This step was not necessary for my current Ubuntu setup.
(10-14-2016, 08:56 AM)RaimundEge Wrote: Sorry to hear that altdrive is not working yet. It has been working nicely for me since May.

I since have moved on to Ubuntu for my pine. The steps I reported work reliably for my Ubuntu setup when I installed 2 recent altdrive updates.

What I remember about my ArchLinux system (with xorg & xfce4) was that I had used the openjdk JRE and compiled swt from sources.
In order to get altdrive_wbhome_client going I vaguely remember that I had to turn one of the command line arguments to the java invocation from true to false or vice versa. This step was not necessary for my current Ubuntu setup.

I'm running Debian, though I was able to install and run it on an x86 VM running Debian without issues, so I'm not sure the OS would make a difference.  (Of course, the fact that you think you remember having to make a tweak under ArchLinux but not Ubuntu might disprove that theory.)

For what it's worth, I tried changing each of the boolean arguments one at a time, and none of them caused any different behavior.  I didn't try combinations of more than one variable changed concurrently (the combinatorial expansion gets to be more effort than it's worth once there's more than one independent variable), but unless you think you changed more than one at once, that shouldn't be necessary anyway.

I'm using the Oracle JRE, though I'd be a little surprised if that was the difference.  But I'll try swapping it out for OpenJDK and see if it changes anything.  Ditto for the SWT JAR, which I downloaded via apt-get rather than building myself; I can't imagine that the downloaded one would happily run the sample app but have some flaw that compiling from sources would fix, but it doesn't hurt to try...  But another night.

If you remember anything else you might have done that could be relevant, please post it here and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your help!
Tim
For what it's worth, I am attaching my version of altdrive_wbhome_client to this post.
(I had to add extension .txt to make it work)

Maybe I missed some other change, or was not clear enough.

Attached Files
.txt   altdrive_home_client.txt (Size: 13.09 KB / Downloads: 416)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hopes for Pine64 dashed S265 0 2,711 01-02-2019, 02:21 AM
Last Post: S265
  How to Statically Assign IP address to Pine64? spruce1 6 11,171 06-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Last Post: cdslashetc