Pinebook Pro Open Arena Tournament (Saturday /Sunday fun anyone?)
Hi Everyone,

I just figured out how to get Open Arena working on the Pinebook Pro yesterday - turns out ioquake3 is broken in Debian/ Ubuntu repos.
Being somewhat of an arena-shooting fan   I wanted to suggest we have a community play throughout the weekend (and potentially beyond), fragging like its 2001 again.

Also, if someone has ever set up a dedicated Q3 or OpenArena server please let me know - it could spare me a lot of learning how to set a server up. The server will be running on a RockPro64, which I assume will be sufficient for this task.
I'll edit this post with server details and how-to-connect information once I've set it up.

There is only one rule:  you have to play on a PBP (or Rockpr64)

Something you may want to consider also, apparently the game runs much better on Manjaro than default Debian - so you may wish to use that instead. I am not providing instructions for installing Open Arena on Manjaro however, someone else may wish to do that in this thread.

[Edit 14/01/2020] Server details

Quote:185.54.207.135
Port: 22222
arena.brixit.nl

Password: PINE64

Open Arena on the Pinebook Pro default Debian:  

Start by installing Open Arena via apt:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openarena

Once done, fetch this (working) ioquake3 deb [edit 20/03/2020] but instead of installing the .deb extract the game data from it:

Code:
cd /tmp
mv ~/Downloads/ioquake3_1.36+u20160122+dfsg1-1_armhf.deb ioquake.deb
ar x ioquake.deb data.tar.xz

Now lets fetch and substitute the working ioquake3 file:

Code:
tar Jxf data.tar.xz ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3
sudo mv ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3 /usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3

You can clean up now:

Code:
rm -fr ./usr ioquake.deb

Starting the Game

I found that these settings work the best with lowest graphics settings on Debian. You may wish to set the CPU to 'Performance' governor.
Again, from what I've heard performance on Manjaro is double, so you may choose to use that instead.

Code:
openarena +set cl_renderer opengl1 +set r_mode -1 +set r_customwidth 1920 +set r_customheight 1080 +set r_fullscreen 1 +set cg_drawFPS 1 +set r_swapinterval 1 +set  r_finish 0

[edit 19/03/2020]
[b]Open Arena on the Pinebook Pro running Manjaro (instructions via @spikerguy): [/b]

Download the pkg file from Here.

Install the pkg.
Code:
sudo pacman -U openarena-0.8.8-0-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz

Copy Game Date to Home Local directory, So you don't have to run with sudo. Thanks to morrolinux
Code:
sudo cp -rf /usr/share/games/openarena/baseoa/ ~/.local/share/OpenArena/

Run game using this command.
Code:
/usr/share/games/openarena/openarena.aarch64

If it have issue with permission then just update the permission
Code:
sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/games/openarena/openarena.aarch64
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-12-2020, 07:49 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I just figured out how to get Open Arena working on the Pinebook Pro yesterday - turns out ioquake3 is broken in Debian/ Ubuntu repos.
Being somewhat of an arena-shooting fan   I wanted to suggest we have a community play throughout the weekend (and potentially beyond), fragging like its 2001 again.

Also, if someone has ever set up a dedicated Q3 or OpenArena server please let me know - it could spare me a lot of learning how to set a server up. The server will be running on a RockPro64, which I assume will be sufficient for this task.
I'll edit this post with server details and how-to-connect information once I've set it up.

There is only one rule:  you have to play on a PBP (or Rockpr64)

Something you may want to consider also, apparently the game runs much better on Manjaro than default Debian - so you may wish to use that instead. I am not providing instructions for installing Open Arena on Manjaro however, someone else may wish to do that in this thread.

Here is how you install and set up Open Arena on the Pinebook Pro default Debian:  

Start by installing Open Arena via apt:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openarena

Once done, fetch this (working) ioquake3 deb but instead of installing the .deb extract the game data from it:

Code:
cd /tmp
mv ~/Downloads/ioquake3_1.36+u20160122+dfsg1-1_armhf.deb ioquake.deb
ar x ioquake.deb data.tar.xz

Now lets fetch and substitute the working ioquake3 file:

Code:
tar Jxf data.tar.xz ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3
sudo mv ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3 /usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3

You can clean up now:

Code:
rm -fr ./usr ioquake.deb

Starting the Game

I found that these settings work the best with lowest graphics settings on Debian. You may wish to set the CPU to 'Performance' governor.
Again, from what I've heard performance on Manjaro is double, so you may choose to use that instead.

Code:
openarena +set cl_renderer opengl1 +set r_mode -1 +set r_customwidth 1920 +set r_customheight 1080 +set r_fullscreen 1 +set cg_drawFPS 1 +set r_swapinterval 1 +set  r_finish 0

Hope to see you online this coming weekend Smile

Hi Luke! I was wondering if you'll host this again in a couple of weeks for those who ordered their PBPs late? It would be awesome if you did!

Re: Setting up a server: I currently have a server on Digital Ocean that runs Quake 3 and Doom(original). I would be happy to help if you have any questions!
I'll have the server up and running for a long time, so no worries.
About the server - I'd really appreciate help. I'll set the server up tomorrow, so if you're interested in helping me out then please reach out in Discord, IRC or Telegram and lets talk about it. I'll be online tonight too (in 2-3 hrs).

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a try. I'm curious to see how it runs on default Debian. I plan on eventually playing around with the Manjaro build, but that's a little while down the road, I think.
Smile 
Did someone say Quake3 Smile ? I am using Manjaro but not familiar with "openarena" - I was able to install ioquake3 from AUR fairly straight forward using "yay" package manager: "yay -S ioquake3-git" - do I need anything extra to join this server? The openarena binaries in AUR are for the intel platform only and looking around on git seemed overkill to compile when ioquake3 works. Anyone else playing openarena on Manjaro? would love to get online and frag some of you.
(01-15-2020, 09:28 PM)hackerfantastic Wrote: Did someone say Quake3 Smile ? I am using Manjaro but not familiar with "openarena" - I was able to install ioquake3 from AUR fairly straight forward using "yay" package manager: "yay -S ioquake3-git" - do I need anything extra to join this server? The openarena binaries in AUR are for the intel platform only and looking around on git seemed overkill to compile when ioquake3 works. Anyone else playing openarena on Manjaro? would love to get online and frag some of you.

@xalius got OpenArena on Manjaro ... I'll ask him for instructions.

Here is a script for mainline + panfrost images: https://paste.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/7a43a5...bd93365376
Thanks @MartijnBraam

Thumbs Up 
(01-16-2020, 03:38 PM)Luke Wrote: Here is a script for mainline + panfrost images: https://paste.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/7a43a5...bd93365376
Thanks @MartijnBraam

Thanks! I actually got this working with the help of astr0baby, from a clean build of Manjaro run the following, first install Panfrost drivers:

Quote:sudo pacman -S mesa-git qt5-es2-base qt5-es2-declarative qt5-es2-multimedia mesa-demos
sudo pacman -R xf86-video-fbturbo

After a reboot you should be able to see that it's using panfrost using "es2_info" command. I am using AUR packages and "yay" package manager which you should setup, you can then install the openarena dependancy. Alternatively you can compile this from github if you prefer not to use AUR https://github.com/cmatsuoka/libxmp

Quote:yay -S libxmp-git

You can now download the openarena engine ready for compiling using "git clone https://github.com/OpenArena/engine" - you need to apply a single patch to the file "code/qcommon/q_platform.h" - there is a large define elif block in the header for all supported architecture, just simply add a line like below around line 218 in that block to add aarch64 support.
Quote:#elif defined __aarch64__
#define ARCH_STRING "aarch64"

Now you can "make" the openarena engine and you should produce a "build" directory that has "openarena.aarch64" binary amongst other files. You still need the core OS pk3 files, so get them from http://www.openarena.ws/smfnews.php as a zip file, unpack the zip file and move the pk3 files into your compiled openarena engine under "baseoa" directory.

that's it! you are ready to frag the night away. I played it for a few hours late last night and honestly I do not see any performance difference when compared to higher end machines, I was able to run with high resolution, got a steady FPS, the WiFi enabled me to play multiplayer and I got into a few multiplayer games - having no issues with lag or latency, fragging away to my hearts content. You may need to install a few packages like "make" and "gcc" etc if your booting from a completely clean Manjaro (I already had those installed) but once you get past the slight curve of compiling it really is quite impressive. I recommend playing with an external mouse unless you want to die against everyone online as the trackpad is very difficult to aim with.
(01-17-2020, 10:59 AM)hackerfantastic Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:38 PM)Luke Wrote: Here is a script for mainline + panfrost images: https://paste.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/7a43a5...bd93365376
Thanks @MartijnBraam

Thanks! I actually got this working with the help of astr0baby, from a clean build of Manjaro run the following, first install Panfrost drivers:

Quote:sudo pacman -S mesa-git qt5-es2-base qt5-es2-declarative qt5-es2-multimedia mesa-demos

After a reboot you should be able to see that it's using panfrost using "es2_info" command. I am using AUR packages and "yay" package manager which you should setup, you can then install the openarena dependancy. Alternatively you can compile this from github if you prefer not to use AUR https://github.com/cmatsuoka/libxmp

You can now download the openarena engine ready for compiling using "git clone https://github.com/OpenArena/engine" - you need to apply a single patch to the file "code/qcommon/q_platform.h" - there is a large define elif block in the header for all supported architecture, just simply add a line like below around line 218 in that block to add aarch64 support.

Now you can "make" the openarena engine and you should produce a "build" directory that has "openarena.aarch64" binary amongst other files. You still need the core OS pk3 files, so get them from http://www.openarena.ws/smfnews.php as a zip file, unpack the zip file and move the pk3 files into your compiled openarena engine under "baseoa" directory.

that's it! you are ready to frag the night away. I played it for a few hours late last night and honestly I do not see any performance difference when compared to higher end machines, I was able to run with high resolution, got a steady FPS, the WiFi enabled me to play multiplayer and I got into a few multiplayer games - having no issues with lag or latency, fragging away to my hearts content. You may need to install a few packages like "make" and "gcc" etc if your booting from a completely clean Manjaro (I already had those installed) but once you get past the slight curve of compiling it really is quite impressive. I recommend playing with an external mouse unless you want to die against everyone online as the trackpad is very difficult to aim with.

Yes it works amazingly well on the highest details on the Pinebookpro Smile     Just got fragged by HackerFantastic in the Pine64 arena !
(01-17-2020, 04:17 PM)astr0baby Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 10:59 AM)hackerfantastic Wrote:
Thanks @MartijnBraam

Yes it works amazingly well on the highest details on the Pinebookpro Smile     Just got fragged by HackerFantastic in the Pine64 arena !

Playing on our server or?

[edit] regardless, I'll need to try on Manjaro and see for myself how well it runs on the Panfrost driver Smile
Thank you for posting!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiki: Pinebook 1080 entry disappeared Surehand53 1 2,772 12-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Can't open alerts on HTTP forum zxorg 0 2,425 12-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Last Post: zxorg
  Selling Pinebook 14" with 64GB eMMC, from Europe dahni 2 4,722 11-07-2018, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luke