Kodi on Manjaro
Hi

I am trying to run Kodi on Manjaro Linux. After compiling, Kodi runs, but video playback is very slow (1-2 FPS). The same video plays just fine with mpv player or smplayer. I used the PKGBUILD from the x64 Kodi, Kodi-git didn't like custom compile flags. 

I tried compiling with the options provided in the default PKGBUILD. I also edited it to include 
Code:
-DX11_RENDERING_SYSTEM=GLES

that didn't help. I also added flags for
Code:
-DENABLE_GL=OFF
-DENABLE_GLES=ON
-DENABLE_VAAPI=OFF
-DENABLE_VDPAU=OFF
didn't make a difference.

Given the fact that ffmpeg seems to handle the video just fine (mpv is a frontend for ffmpeg, right?), I also tried compiling with 
Code:
-DWITH_FFMPEG=SHARED

to use the ffmpeg from the system, but no luck.
I tried using it on Manjaro, my last tests were with the Panfrost driver active. I also tried once with GL4ES. In order to speed up the build, I only compiled kodi-x11, not kodi-gbm or kodi-wayland.
Worth to mention: on Debian Kodi works fine (although it's a much older version).
Are there any Kodi packages for Manjaro on pbpro which use VPU? I would like to send Video/Audio over Kodi to my TV by using USB-C to HDMI (alternate mode Display Port devices).
(01-03-2020, 12:14 PM)brent.thierens Wrote: Hi

I am trying to run Kodi on Manjaro Linux. After compiling, Kodi runs, but video playback is very slow (1-2 FPS). The same video plays just fine with mpv player or smplayer. I used the PKGBUILD from the x64 Kodi, Kodi-git didn't like custom compile flags. 

I tried compiling with the options provided in the default PKGBUILD. I also edited it to include 
Code:
-DX11_RENDERING_SYSTEM=GLES

that didn't help. I also added flags for
Code:
-DENABLE_GL=OFF
-DENABLE_GLES=ON
-DENABLE_VAAPI=OFF
-DENABLE_VDPAU=OFF
didn't make a difference.

Given the fact that ffmpeg seems to handle the video just fine (mpv is a frontend for ffmpeg, right?), I also tried compiling with 
Code:
-DWITH_FFMPEG=SHARED

to use the ffmpeg from the system, but no luck.
I tried using it on Manjaro, my last tests were with the Panfrost driver active. I also tried once with GL4ES. In order to speed up the build, I only compiled kodi-x11, not kodi-gbm or kodi-wayland.
Worth to mention: on Debian Kodi works fine (although it's a much older version).

Getting it to work in the first place is a good achievement. I would like to work on kodi package with you But I can just compile and test if while you can do the research for what needs to be the compile arguments. running Kodi in gbm would be the smoothest option I can think of.

If you have a kodi pkg for manjaro then please share it I can look into it and see how we can optimize it. also please point me to the PKGBUILD you used so we can work on it together.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
Well, this is interesting. Since I did not have the PKGBUILD anymore, I edited it again, and now Kodi is working just fine. I've tuned the makepkg.conf to include the native architecture, but that's about it.

This is adapted from the x86 Kodi, so all the necessary files can be found over there.
My makepkg.conf looks like this (only the lines I edited):

Quote:CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"
MAKEFLAGS="-j6"

The PKGBUILD is attached (because of forum rules, I had to add the txt). This is in addition to the files which are present in the x86_64 repo (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu...6_64/kodi/). Can we include the package in the official repositories?

Attached Files
.txt   PKGBUILD.txt (Size: 10.07 KB / Downloads: 358)
(03-08-2020, 09:25 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: Well, this is interesting. Since I did not have the PKGBUILD anymore, I edited it again, and now Kodi is working just fine. I've tuned the makepkg.conf to include the native architecture, but that's about it.

This is adapted from the x86 Kodi, so all the necessary files can be found over there.
My makepkg.conf looks like this (only the lines I edited):

Quote:CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"
MAKEFLAGS="-j6"

The PKGBUILD is attached (because of forum rules, I had to add the txt). This is in addition to the files which are present in the x86_64 repo (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu...6_64/kodi/). Can we include the package in the official repositories?
Great work. I am going to build it tonight and test it on my PBP, If it works smooth then I will add it to the unstable branch.

Did you build it on the PBP itself?
Manjaro ARM Team.
I was able to build it using your pkgbuild and it runs slow. Though it places with software decoding but it's very smooth i ended up watching the whole movie instead of just testing it.

Great work Brent. I will upload the package in unstable and create a package repo.
Manjaro ARM Team.
I did build it on the PBP itself. I'm on KDE with Xorg, Compositing enabled. For me, everything was running smooth actually...
I'll try the package from the repo and see if there are any differences, if so, we can investigate what the differences where Smile
(03-10-2020, 07:42 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: I did build it on the PBP itself. I'm on KDE with Xorg, Compositing enabled. For me, everything was running smooth actually...
I'll try the package from the repo and see if there are any differences, if so, we can investigate what the differences where Smile
I build it on my Vim3 with kde and gles.

Kodi package 
It is uploaded to the Manjaro Repo. This kodi build needs GLES support, it only plays video with software decoding. There was no screen tearing or lag. Kodi UI works smooth as it is hw acc.

How to install
For users on Stable branch
Step 1: 

Code:
sudo pacman-mirrors -b unstable
[size=undefined]

Step 2: [/size]

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy kodi

Users on unstable branch can skip Step 1.

Nice work brent. Thanks.
Manjaro ARM Team.
How can I check if this uses sw or hw rendering?
Could it be that we need to do this to get HW acceleration working: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-.../112647/24
We will need VPU support for that
Code:
kernel 5.7 - [GIT,PULL,v2,FOR,v5.7] rockchip: Add the rkvdec driver - https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11403025/
https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/log/?h=rkvdec
I am not sure what else in Kodi will be needed and if Kodi supports v4l2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 167 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,606 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 746 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro - HIbernate - brcmfmac clk issue pompeyPinePro 1 709 08-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez