PBR running hot
Hi,

I've just received the Pinebook Pro. I'm running the stock system. I've updated the kernel, the packages and keyboard firmware. Pinebook runs at 50 Celsius when doing only light browsing with the Powersave governor. Playing a 720p60 YT video pushes the CPU Temperature to 60-65 Celsius range. The laptop is particularly hot at the bottom beneath the Escape key, especially if I hold it on my laps. What should I do? The laptop is plugged with the supplied charger. Performance is choppy, the cursor stutters.

P.S. The temperature is 50 even when idling.

Thanks,
brzegorz
This is actually a known, and discussed tidbit. When using the PBP in a lap, it can get much hotter, faster, than if it were placed on a hard surface. I've been trying to make efforts to be more conscious of how the PBP is situated when in my lap, to try and avoid prolonged placement on my lap in the areas that heat up the most.
After reading your reply I've booted Pinebook again, put it on the desk and started running a 1080p60 YT video. The video is very laggy - not entirely unwatchable, but it would require a really strong desire to actually watch it. The temperature goes to 67 Celsius and possibly beyond. Based on the forums I believe it should be able to handle that kind of video fluently and without overheating.
P.S. After some time, the CPU reaches 73 Celsius degrees. That's almost as much as in hmuller's stress test(https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8383). I'm shutting it down for now, there's some issue with it.
(01-03-2020, 11:12 AM)tophneal Wrote: This is actually a known, and discussed tidbit. When using the PBP in a lap, it can get much hotter, faster, than if it were placed on a hard surface. I've been trying to make efforts to be more conscious of how the PBP is situated when in my lap, to try and avoid prolonged placement on my lap in the areas that heat up the most.

Wow. I might consider a thin neoprene pad glued to the bottom case cover, when mine eventually arrives!
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
Yea, I've been lazily looking into additional passive cooling options that would fit within the case. I haven't had an real rush, as when it heats in my lap, I usually use it as a sign to set the PBP on a table and take a small break.
I'd like to report that after booting Manjaro from SD card the temperatures are all right. I don't know what's wrong with the Debian. I still can't play 1080p videos, but I've seen a lot of talks about Panfrost and Mali and hardware acceleration in other topics: )
How to set up sensors in non-stock distro?

lm-sensors doesn't detect it.
I've used the following script, found somewhere on the forums:

#!/bin/bash
cpu=$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
gpu=$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp)
echo CPU ${cpu::2}C '|' GPU ${gpu::2}C
(01-03-2020, 05:45 PM)brzegorz Wrote: I'd like to report that after booting Manjaro from SD card the temperatures are all right. I don't know what's wrong with the Debian. I still can't play 1080p videos, but I've seen a lot of talks about Panfrost and Mali and hardware acceleration in other topics: )

I've done a test on YT with 1080p at 30fps, which works with ~70% load
60fps is not usable, frame drops ~40%
This is all due VP9 with software decoding

You can see the stats with right click on the video and "stats for nerds"

Panfrost and Mali are GPU's, they do 2D and 3D
Hantro is the VPU which can on rk3399 decode H264/VP9

drops some link here, because this is maybe missing in Rockchip source
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromi...rty/kernel

Code:
$ ls drivers/media/platform/rockchip-vpu/rk3399_vdec_*
drivers/media/platform/rockchip-vpu/rk3399_vdec_hw.c
drivers/media/platform/rockchip-vpu/rk3399_vdec_hw_h264d.c
drivers/media/platform/rockchip-vpu/rk3399_vdec_hw_vp9d.c
drivers/media/platform/rockchip-vpu/rk3399_vdec_regs.h
This is the old path and old name(s) ...

(01-05-2020, 04:07 AM)brzegorz Wrote: I've used the following script, found somewhere on the forums:

#!/bin/bash
cpu=$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
gpu=$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp)
echo CPU ${cpu::2}C '|' GPU ${gpu::2}C

On Manjaro I use XFCE with sensorplugin, the temperatures are in ACPI tab

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 514 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinebook Pro freezes when running on battery petaramesh 5 2,418 09-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: petaramesh
  Linus Torvalds using M2 Macbook Air running Linux orbital 17 7,432 09-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: orbital
  Running Libgdx sdk on pinebookpro Nick_dnepr 2 3,145 10-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Nick_dnepr
  PBP running shipping Manjaro won't wake from suspend fornio 2 4,382 07-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: vancheese
  Pinebook Pro seems to "seize up" after running any OS... User 6582 5 6,893 06-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: User 6582
  Screen burn in after running for a few min Flapjack 2 4,245 06-13-2020, 06:39 AM
Last Post: matosys
  Any one running any SDR solutions oxoocoffee 7 7,554 03-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: bluemage