NetBSD
(02-24-2020, 02:40 PM)wdt Wrote: it finds run0 OK,, but,
I thought I knew how to set up wpa_supplicant,, guess not

Don't be so sure.  I wasn't able to get a run0 device to connect either (on -current; maybe a week ago?).  It's just constantly SCANNING.  Built-in wifi device connects fine (after copying around firmware files) -- so I'm pretty sure my wpa_supplicant config was good both times I tried the run0 devices.   Built in is flaky though (as has been noted on this forum).

-Wayne
Precise error, transcribed
run0: Failed to attach pkt_type filter
from wpa_supplicant with -dd ,, foreground
--edit--
Damn, clueless again
When running wpa_passphrase, it is easy to forget quotes around essid and password
DON'T
wpa_passphrase 'essid' 'password' >> config file
OK, after 3-4 hours struggling, I think I'll wait a few months
Made me feel young and stupid rather than old and stupid
(shades of '95)
I'm sure the x86 version is a lot better
Lots of hard lock ups, hard power off, fsck,, ro / mounts
Mostly from OVERWRITTING my wpa config, a rename to  .old ,,of course not
Four times, damn annoying (and a grand total of 1 terminal, but the kb was locked, so ....)
And vi, ever tried editing without BS or del, did finally find x and dd (command mode)
I only use vi when forced to, thanks for the experience, I'll pass
And install pkgin,  file list is bz2, no bzip or bunzip in sight,, great
Maybe sometime, much later
I need to investigate further but under -current with the internal adapter the kernel appears to deadlock if you use it much. In particular iperf will trigger it immediately.
(02-28-2020, 05:39 PM)gillham Wrote: I need to investigate further but under -current with the internal adapter the kernel appears to deadlock if you use it much. In particular iperf will trigger it immediately.

i've started looking into what may cause this but i have been busy with other tasks this week. hopefully this weekend will work..

FWIW, i've been successfully using urtwn(4) based adapters on my pinebooks and other laptops for years.  they're not 100% reliable, and i have to sometimes pull and re-insert the device for it to work again, but it's uncommon (less than once a day.)  this manual has a list of products that were once known to have this chipset:

https://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ur...NetBSD-9.0

(note that sometimes these products get new internals with the same name, so it's difficult to 100% be sure you'll get the right thing.)
(02-23-2020, 08:58 PM)wdt Wrote: Did I see somewhere that rt5390 (usb dongle) will work?

I am using rt5390 USB dongle with run driver and it works great. Overall, I am finding NetBSD very reliable and that's the only OS on my pinebook since over a month ago. Loving it!
it may be that internal wifi no longer hangs in -current. please update to something that includes this change:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-chan...15231.html

i have transferred almost 70GB of data in the last few hours without a hang. the above change has been requested for pullup to netbsd-9, and should appear there soon, and then shortly afterwards on armbsd.org for bootable images.

i am very curious about others reports with the above change in place.
After seeing the fixes to internal WiFi, I thought I would try and get NetBSD going from an SD card and test it.

I am using the -CURRENT image from armbsd.org dated 03/26, and was able to get it set up and connected to my network. Unfortunately it still seems rather unstable. When I try to set up pkgsrc by doing cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot checkout -P pkgsrc, it starts fine but then I get flooded with bwfm0: checksum errors.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this what everyone means by it hanging? I was under the impression that particular issue was already fixed... Or has that not made it into the current images on armbsd yet?

I also tried a netbsd-9 image, but it seems like the drivers for internal wifi card still couldn't be found.
(03-28-2020, 09:30 AM)Nappael Wrote: After seeing the fixes to internal WiFi, I thought I would try and get NetBSD going from an SD card and test it.

I am using the -CURRENT image from armbsd.org dated 03/26, and was able to get it set up and connected to my network. Unfortunately it still seems rather unstable. When I try to set up pkgsrc by doing cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot checkout -P pkgsrc, it starts fine but then I get flooded with bwfm0: checksum errors.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this what everyone means by it hanging? I was under the impression that particular issue was already fixed... Or has that not made it into the current images on armbsd yet?

I also tried a netbsd-9 image, but it seems like the drivers for internal wifi card still couldn't be found.

unfortunately, i am still seeing rare hangs when wifi is enabled, but i have not yet found any causes.  i have never seen the flood of checksum errors you report, though jmcneill@ has reported such i believe.

netbsd-9 is still missing some of the fixes, but should attach (perhaps the driver isn't included?)  i'll have a look.
(03-30-2020, 09:56 AM)mrgtwentythree Wrote: unfortunately, i am still seeing rare hangs when wifi is enabled, but i have not yet found any causes.  i have never seen the flood of checksum errors you report, though jmcneill@ has reported such i believe.

netbsd-9 is still missing some of the fixes, but should attach (perhaps the driver isn't included?)  i'll have a look.

FWIW, in -current, the wifi seems much more stable.  i've not had a hang for a long time except maybe one time.

we do not yet know why this is better -- lots of changes maybe relevant.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd NetBSD boot goes dark donn 6 1,351 02-22-2024, 03:59 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  NetBSD 1.0 runs down battery donn 13 1,122 11-15-2023, 04:05 PM
  Booting NetBSD untitled 12 5,652 08-30-2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: untitled
  NetBSD on the Pinebook Pro in August 2022 - or not? KC9UDX 6 3,504 08-24-2022, 01:49 AM
  NetBSD and pinebook keyboard/trackpad firmware updater mrgtwentythree 5 9,718 05-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree
Music NetBSD and USB "sound cards" KC9UDX 2 5,177 05-07-2021, 12:11 PM
Last Post: elimark1
Question Issues Installing NetBSD on a PineBook Pro ReleaseTheGeese 14 14,617 01-31-2021, 11:20 AM
  NetBSD -Current binaries BronzeBeard 8 11,263 12-31-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: BronzeBeard
Thumbs Up My NetBSD on Pinebook Pro journey KC9UDX 11 18,371 12-06-2020, 08:26 PM