Remote Desktop Support?
Oh. It is a commerical product. But it looks a client is open source to some extent. Not sure if the same is true for the server part. You can try, or ask them or check their support channels. It might work, who knows. I guess, they might be doing some strong optimizations, and compression, which might not work properly on the pine64 (i.e. they might be using some assembly or special libraries even), but it is worth a try if you are into it.

If not. I would say, try things like xrdp, or NX.

Yes, Linux do have remote desktop capability since before Linux existed. It is called X11, and was created in 70s or so. You can use it without any problems on Pine too.

I was just trying to give you some info about more modern approaches, that might be better in some aspects, especially when used from Windows machine (setting X11 server on Windows might be a pain for people without much knowledge). And I gave you about 8 different solutions like that. I.e. xrdp and vino.
(05-01-2016, 11:10 AM)baryluk Wrote: Oh. It is a commerical product. But it looks a client is open source to some extent. Not sure if the same is true for the server part. You can try, or ask them or check their support channels. It might work, who knows. I guess, they might be doing some strong optimizations, and compression, which might not work properly on the pine64 (i.e. they might be using some assembly or special libraries even), but it is worth a try if you are into it.

Yes, Linux do have remote desktop capability since before Linux existed. It is called X11, and was created in 70s or so. You can use it without any problems on Pine too.

I was just trying to give you some info about more modern approaches, that might be better in some aspects, especially when used from Windows machine (setting X11 server on Windows might be a pain for people without much knowledge). And I gave you about 8 different solutions like that. I.e. xrdp and vino.

What's a commercial product? What are you recommending I try?
(05-01-2016, 01:47 PM)Rochambeaux Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:10 AM)baryluk Wrote: Oh. It is a commerical product. But it looks a client is open source to some extent. Not sure if the same is true for the server part. You can try, or ask them or check their support channels. It might work, who knows. I guess, they might be doing some strong optimizations, and compression, which might not work properly on the pine64 (i.e. they might be using some assembly or special libraries even), but it is worth a try if you are into it.

Splashtop is a commercial product as far I can see. It does have some parts open sourced, so if you know how to compile and debug stuff you can try compiling it yourself.

If you do not, start with xrdp or vino.
(05-01-2016, 01:47 PM)Rochambeaux Wrote:

It means you pay for it Wink
(05-01-2016, 03:11 PM)nomadewolf Wrote: It means you pay for it Wink

I hope you're being cute and not a troll..

(05-01-2016, 02:54 PM)baryluk Wrote: , so if you know how to compile and debug stuff you can try compiling it yourself.[/color]

If you do not, start with xrdp or vino.

Yeah, I'm a straight up hardware guy so compiling ain't happening here Smile

Thanks
Yes, you do pay for the full version of splashtop. The one you can download and use for free do have some limitations. For full version you need to buy it.
(05-01-2016, 04:34 PM)baryluk Wrote: Yes, you do pay for the full version of splashtop. The one you can download and use for free do have some limitations. For full version you need to buy it.

Either we have a language barrier going on or you guys are yanking my chain.

I *know* splashtop is commercial - I've bought it for my Windows and Android devices.

No, I do not know how to or want to learn to, compile anything.

Just trying to find the easiest way to connect remotely.
(05-01-2016, 06:37 PM)Rochambeaux Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 04:34 PM)baryluk Wrote: Yes, you do pay for the full version of splashtop. The one you can download and use for free do have some limitations. For full version you need to buy it.

Either we have a language barrier going on or you guys are yanking my chain.

I *know* splashtop is commercial - I've bought it for my Windows and Android devices.  

No, I do not know how to or want to learn to, compile anything.

Just trying to find the easiest way to connect remotely.
You connecting from a windows machine? If so I am sure you have used rdp more than once. If you have a linux desktop os loaded like debian, ubuntu etc issue this command
sudo apt-get install xrdp

follow the prompts an tell it yes. Once its done point a windows rdp session at the ip for the pine. 

That easy.
To connect from my windows 10 machine at my pine64 I use ssh, xrdp and x11vnc:

sudo apt-get install nano ssh xrdp x11vnc  -y

After installation is complete create a password for x11vnc:

sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass

Then create a new file to let start x11vnc at startup sytsem:

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/x11vnc.service

with:

[Unit]
Description=Start x11vnc at startup.
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -repeat -loop -shared -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /var/log/x11vnc.log

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Now tell the system to start at startup:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo systemctl enable x11vnc.service

After x11vnc is configured, modifiy the xrdp config file:

sudo nano /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini

and change the ip entry for xrdp3 to 127.0.0.1.

After reboot your pine64 you can connect from your windows machine like

mstsc -v <ip address>

and select sesman-Xvnc or vnc-any. Via ssh use putty or winscp.
If you want to run X clients (windowed programs on the pine64) from your pine64, on your W10 box, then from W10 CLI (dos prompt):

Code:
ssh -X <pine_user_ID>@<pine64_ip_address>   like: david@192.168.1.13

It'll ask for your password, then login in.  So now you have a ssh terminal from your pine64.  To launch a windowed client from that terminal, just enter the command, followed with an ampersand & (job control):

Code:
scribus &

at which point you will shortly see your pine64's scribus (or whatever program you're after...yes, you HAVE to know the program's file name.) display on your W10 screen.  Because we put that & at the end, you can keep launching programs from that terminal.  The amperstan puts the job into the background (not suspend).  When you close these xclients (running programs from the pine64), you'll see an exit code on your terminal, showing they completed.

At least that's how it works in GNU/Linux.  I don't have W10, but if you have OpenSSH (???) this will work just fine.  If you do not have OpenSSH, then get it.

The thing to remember, is that in X, even a local session, xclients STILL go through a network interface, at the least localhost (127.0.0.1), to the xserver.  So the fact that you are there, on W10 (xserver), and the pine64 is there (xclients), on Xubuntu, does not really change the way it works.  The "server" is the machine on which your console is at, in this case your W10.  The clients are the programs running from pine64, not the W10.  arm64 has got nothing to do with W10, W10 is its own server.  X Clients/Servers are agnostic (session, presentation and application levels).  You effectively run arm64 kit on W10, so far as your display, keyboard and mouse are concerned.  That's what's so awesome about X.  You could X into a cray, or a render farm, from a netbook, and run whatever is on those systems, from your lowly netbook.

man X — from your pine64 bash prompt, will show you lots of stuff you can do with/in X.  Oh, and for the record, X came out of MIT, 1984.  :-)

Finally, I've also heard that W10 has bash (Bourne Again Shell).  You should use it, and let us know how it works.

David

PS: I'm working on a post about X.  Life is getting in the way of finishing it, but time is permitting, bit by bit.
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,074 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  AXP803 Battery Charger Support xalius 14 23,695 12-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Velociraptor
  Found this fully working RASPBIAN Image that boots to desktop speedro86 21 28,317 10-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: speedro86
Wink Pine64 Will support Freenas or openmediavault ? joe 1 4,910 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Possible to get 4K resolution on Linux desktop? tycoonbob 6 11,401 01-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: swinging
  Pine64 as a viable desktop replacement ? here are my thoughts! Luke 11 16,620 01-06-2017, 04:49 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  Problems with remote printers with pine64 (SOLVED) LocoMJ 2 4,093 12-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: LocoMJ
  Binfmt_misc support cztian 1 3,641 08-17-2016, 11:49 PM
Last Post: longsleep
Question Joystick/Gamepad support Drakuwa 3 5,855 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Last Post: xalius
Big Grin Funny ! Support Intel x86 linux applications on ARM-based ( PINE64 ) not freeware joe 10 16,065 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Last Post: dkryder