Power measurements
I measured the power usage over a day using the Mate power daemon. This is what it plotted.

.png   pbpro_power.png (Size: 67.21 KB / Downloads: 514)

It seems that charging via USB-C is almost as efficient as using an actual charger. The suspend one is weirder: it uses energy as much as a charger can put in the battery. I entered suspend by clicking on the power button and then selecting suspend on the pop up menu. Obviously something is not being properly powered down. This is with the default Debian image.
(11-07-2019, 03:52 PM)jpakkane Wrote: I measured the power usage over a day using the Mate power daemon. This is what it plotted.

It seems that charging via USB-C is almost as efficient as using an actual charger. The suspend one is weirder: it uses energy as much as a charger can put in the battery. I entered suspend by clicking on the power button and then selecting suspend on the pop up menu. Obviously something is not being properly powered down. This is with the default Debian image.

Hmm... ~20% in 1 hour. I haven't dealt with laptops for quite some time. Does it look a bit slow?

It looks like 3A DC is not enough to power a running machine. My one, even though it's powered by the DC adapter, still drains the battery pretty fast (under heavy load, I must admit). Wonder if having a 4A adapter would help?
Heavily loaded, PBP drains about 3.5A from the battery. No wonder it is discharging even with the DC adapter in.
(11-07-2019, 03:52 PM)jpakkane Wrote: I entered suspend by clicking on the power button and then selecting suspend on the pop up menu. Obviously something is not being properly powered down. This is with the default Debian image.

This is a known issue. Here is part of the discussion:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid52278
Hi,
Does anyone know if charging the pinebook Pro with the charger or via usb-c is the same ? Does it effect the battery health if the usc-c charge is preferred to the other one over long periods ?
(11-11-2019, 08:21 AM)Axevy Wrote: Hi,
Does anyone know if charging the pinebook Pro with the charger or via usb-c is the same ? Does it effect the battery health if the usc-c charge is preferred to the other one over long periods ?

I'm seeing huge difference in charge rates between USB-C chargers and cabling (2 watts, 13 watts and 15 watts) so if you have a power meter for an AC socket it would be worth checking what is actually happening with your charger.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(11-10-2019, 10:42 PM)VoxUnius Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:52 PM)jpakkane Wrote: I measured the power usage over a day using the Mate power daemon. This is what it plotted.

Hmm... ~20% in 1 hour. I haven't dealt with laptops for quite some time. Does it look a bit slow?

It looks like 3A DC is not enough to power a running machine. My one, even though it's powered by the DC adapter, still drains the battery pretty fast (under heavy load, I must admit). Wonder if having a 4A adapter would help?

Can someone from the Pine team or a knowledgeable person confirm if its possible to have a 5V 4A or 5V 5A adapter?
I think it would be useful for people who use the laptop heavily and those who have NVME drive installed.
(11-13-2019, 11:12 AM)aaditya Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 10:42 PM)VoxUnius Wrote:

Can someone from the Pine team or a knowledgeable person confirm if its possible to have a 5V 4A or 5V 5A adapter?
I think it would be useful for people who use the laptop heavily and those who have NVME drive installed.

Not that I'm a knowledgeable person, but I'm hoping to become one pretty soon. I've ordered a 4A adapter, which should be delivered on 18/11. I'll keep you updated Smile
What exactly do we need tracked?
I am happy to throw the PBP on a DAQ at work with AC recording abilities, or open up and probe other values over a long term test.
Please let me know, I am happy to help collect data.
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
(11-13-2019, 09:09 PM)MrTester Wrote: What exactly do we need tracked?
I am happy to throw the PBP on a DAQ at work with AC recording abilities, or open up and probe other values over a long term test.
Please let me know, I am happy to help collect data.

Well, it's been proven that the PBP needs more than 3A at high load (in my case, it was compiling a kernel with -j6). The question is whether a more powerful DC adapter would work with it. Is there any limitation in the charging circuitry? Can it take more than 3A?

As I said, I should be able to answer this question next Monday.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 232 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Increasing the maximum power draw dsimic 15 19,155 11-21-2022, 03:36 AM
Last Post: bircoph
  Alternative Power supply options gallomimia 13 17,618 11-13-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  PBP booting but stops at flashing power led jonasd 13 5,136 09-26-2022, 12:17 AM
Last Post: jonasd
  Blinking red light for charger, no power-on bifo 11 13,362 11-30-2021, 01:37 PM
Last Post: wdt
  power on PBP if your keyboard is dead? stozi 0 1,283 11-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: stozi
  Motherboard malfunction - a possible warning about power supplies mjc 8 6,890 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Last Post: mjc
Question UK Power Supply User 11436 11 17,099 02-09-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: dieselnutjob
  Pinebook Pro Dock Power Requirements calinb 9 11,892 12-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Auto-wake behavior when external power is connected diodelass 7 9,766 12-05-2020, 01:19 AM
Last Post: dsimic