Anybody compiled the latest ownCloud client?
I use a cloud service to store configuration files and use owncloud-client to access the files.  Unfortunately the Debian version of ownCloud client is too old to interface to the cloud server I'm using.  I tried to download the source and compile it but could not make the compilation proceed.  Has anyone else tried and succeeded in compiling the armhf version of this software?  I know that version 2.5.4 works (on an intel processor) and 2.4.1 does not (on the pinebook pro).

So far everything else I need works on this laptop.  This is the one thing that will make the device useable for my work, so am keen to get it going.  But I have not been able to successfully make the package compile, because it needs QT5.12 and inotify.

I think I have installed every library to do with inotify, but have not yet tried to install QT5.12, as the installation looks to be very hardware-specific.

Has anyone successfully compiled QT5.12 and ownCloud, and if so would you mind stepping me through the process?
(11-05-2019, 02:58 PM)sobyrne Wrote: I use a cloud service to store configuration files and use owncloud-client to access the files.  Unfortunately the Debian version of ownCloud client is too old to interface to the cloud server I'm using.  I tried to download the source and compile it but could not make the compilation proceed.  Has anyone else tried and succeeded in compiling the armhf version of this software?  I know that version 2.5.4 works (on an intel processor) and 2.4.1 does not (on the pinebook pro).

So far everything else I need works on this laptop.  This is the one thing that will make the device useable for my work, so am keen to get it going.  But I have not been able to successfully make the package compile, because it needs QT5.12 and inotify.

I think I have installed every library to do with inotify, but have not yet tried to install QT5.12, as the installation looks to be very hardware-specific.

Has anyone successfully compiled QT5.12 and ownCloud, and if so would you mind stepping me through the process?

I noticed Debian 10 uses 2.5.1, have you tried installing this?
I'd like to see a NextCloud client, but i'm not in a hurry for that.
I am, however terrifically impressed with ayufan, Mr.Fixit, and anyone else who has been working the default Debian/Mate so good!
(11-05-2019, 06:25 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:58 PM)sobyrne Wrote: I use a cloud service to store configuration files and use owncloud-client to access the files.  Unfortunately the Debian version of ownCloud client is too old to interface to the cloud server I'm using.  I tried to download the source and compile it but could not make the compilation proceed.  Has anyone else tried and succeeded in compiling the armhf version of this software?  I know that version 2.5.4 works (on an intel processor) and 2.4.1 does not (on the pinebook pro).

I noticed Debian 10 uses 2.5.1, have you tried installing this?

Thanks very much for the reply.  I tried installing this package and its dependencies as deb packages, but I still get the message from the server that the version  is too old.  I suspect I'll need to have the latest version (2.5.4).

(11-05-2019, 06:29 PM)Watercourse Wrote: I'd like to see a NextCloud client, but i'm not in a hurry for that.
I am, however terrifically impressed with ayufan, Mr.Fixit, and anyone else who has been working the default Debian/Mate so good!

Yes, I agree.  The Debian distribution that came with the Pinebook Pro looks and works great, and the upgrade is very easy to use.  Sincere thanks to all who have given their time to this project.
(11-05-2019, 09:38 PM)sobyrne Wrote: Thanks very much for the reply.  I tried installing this package and its dependencies as deb packages, but I still get the message from the server that the version  is too old.  I suspect I'll need to have the latest version (2.5.4).

If that's the case my next step would be to start with the source package and replace the source code with the newer version and then build a package.
I use Pinebookpro ubuntu 18.4.3 Mate image.
Owncloud client is available in Synaptic software: owncloud-client 2.4.1+dfsg-1 and works well.
I also use webdav in the filebrowser Caja; works very well and fast.
The nextcloud client is available for debian 9 (stretch) and 10 (buster):

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-back...ud-desktop

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nextcloud-desktop

For debian 9 (the default install in pinebook pro), just make sure the backports are added to the repositories.

These were recently added to the repositories, as app-images were the interim solution, and I just changed recently. I'll post how to do this in a sec -- have to run for lunch and meetings!
(11-13-2019, 11:46 AM)ambein Wrote: The nextcloud client is available for debian 9 (stretch) and 10 (buster):

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-back...ud-desktop

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nextcloud-desktop

For debian 9 (the default install in pinebook pro), just make sure the backports are added to the repositories.

These were recently added to the repositories, as app-images were the interim solution, and I just changed recently. I'll post how to do this in a sec -- have to run for lunch and meetings!

Thank you for the reply.  As mentioned above, I tried version 2.5.1 and it is too old to connect to the server I need to use.  The server insists upon the newer client (2.5.4) which is not in either the stretch or buster repositories (they contain 2.5.1).  So far I have not been successful in getting the client to compile, probably because I could not compile the required QT libraries successfully,
In case anyone else needs to do this: I was not successful in compiling the newest owncloud client in Debian because it had difficulties with the required (also compiled from scratch) version of QT that I was not able to get around. 

My solution was to install Manjaro, which runs the newest version of the client through pacman.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Install of ArchARM on latest pbp batch tallfrye 0 640 08-22-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: tallfrye
  Sound stuttering on Manjaro gnome after latest kernel upgrade? pjsf 0 1,741 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Last Post: pjsf
  Is there a VOIP client compatible with aarch64? mjc 4 4,851 09-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Last Post: mjc
Question How are Oses compiled for the Pinebook Pro? TDC_PBP 7 6,804 07-06-2020, 10:54 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  pCloud Client on PBP w/ Manjaro? fbshilli 2 3,659 07-01-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: fbshilli
  Pulse Secure Client on Pinebook Pro wwtaylor 0 1,702 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: wwtaylor
  Can we get a latest camera fix in Debian? Krakatau 0 1,543 01-07-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Krakatau
  Steps to install latest debian img to upgraded emmc xircledev 2 3,315 12-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Arglebargle
  Remote desktop client suggestions? rot26 12 12,195 11-15-2019, 03:11 AM
Last Post: mfritsche
  Citrix ICA Client on Pinebook Pro mfritsche 1 3,095 11-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Last Post: deviantgnome