Pinebook Pro won't turn on
(11-02-2019, 05:34 PM)bebop_man Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 12:53 PM)TAAPAye Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 11:12 PM)hsm89cheu Wrote: Received my PBP today and I have the same problem to boot up. I removed the back panel and pressed the reset button but still not working. Does anyone have a solution?

I flipped the eMMC switch (24 on https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro_Main_Page#Accessing_the_Internals_-_Disassembly_and_Reassembly)
and my computer now boots.

Which direction is the switch supposed to be ?

EDIT:  Success!  I flipped the emmc switch to up (towards the hinge) pressed reset, and then power, the system powered on finally!

This worked for me as well after encountering a problem where the system would not boot.
Many thanks!
  One problem I have not seen anyone post.

My A/C adapter is defective  ! 

I noticed when I assembled the plug face to the power unit that one of the contacts looked lower than the other.

The good contact has some spring to it, the other seems to be stuck solid and no movement.

After playing with it for a while it did provide power to the Pinebook Pro for a few minutes then it quit.

I am able to use the adapter from my earlier ISO PBP to charge my new ANSI PBP,  but most people do not have this option.

I also have a nice USB-C charger that will work,  but I am disappointed about receiving a faulty adapter.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I also needed to flip the emmc switch upon delivery.

tbh although simple to do... it was pretty concerning and annoying, and seemingly easy to do from the factory...

kinda a sucky first impression
(01-27-2020, 02:03 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: I also needed to flip the emmc switch upon delivery.

tbh although simple to do... it was pretty concerning and annoying, and seemingly easy to do from the factory...

kinda a sucky first impression

I have taken note and feedback back to production team.
I'm having a similar problem to those above and so far, none of the solutions have worked for me.

Last weekend I decided to install Buster to my eMMC. Everything went fine and when I rebooted, I saw the Debian splash screen. It then repeatedly tried to launch X and crashed, which I expected since I'd installed XFCE as my DE and hadn't yet made the required changes in my /etc files. I pressed alt+f1 to trigger a crash as I'd hoped to get to switch to a workspace without being constantly interrupted by the relaunches, but that failed and I rebooted.

I booted over to stock Pine Pro Debian on sd card, mounted the emmc and made the appropriate changes to /etc (or so I thought) to make X work. I rebooted and got the Debian splash screen again (yay!), followed by the X crash loop (boo). I took a few moments to look over the instructions again; and the crash loop stopped. All the power lights went off on my PBP.

Concerned, I tried to boot to SD card again. The power light flickered for a few moments and then went off; my PBP did not boot. I popped the sd card and tried again (long press to make sure it was powered off, followed by short two second press to turn it on again). This time no response. I plugged in the charger and tried again; no change in behaviour. I long pressed for about thirty seconds to make sure the PBP was off again.

I removed the back of my PBP and reseated the emmc. I checked to make sure my emmc switch was in the enabled direction (it was, towards the hinge). I pressed 'reset'. I buttoned up the PBP and tried the power dance again... no change while trying to boot from emmc or sd. Everything just stays dark.

At this point I'm not sure what to try next. Undecided Does anyone have any ideas for me?

One last point, my wifi/bluetooth chip has a little discolouration on it. It might be a burn mark, but it's hard to tell. I don't know if it was like that before I got the PBP or not as I didn't open it until I had these problems. I'm not sure if that's indicative of a power problem? I mostly use USB-C to charge (and I *never* have both USB-C and the barrel chargers plugged in at the same time).

Up until it stopped living, I've been loving my Pinebook Pro!
Hi comuntiy!

My problem is that my PBP has been working perfectly, but after I switch to Manjaro 20.04 (installed in the eMMC), I had to change the mirrorlist manually, once that was done, my PBP has not been able to power on again.

I tried different SD cards with different OS and there's nothing it can boot it, I long press the power button and the RED LED light is on but nothing happens; I tried to press the RESET button but it's the same... Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!
what does "long press" mean?
Is it 4+ seconds? OR 20+ seconds ???
Let's call that (20) "extra long press"
A couple months ago, I put a wrong uSD card in, for a SBC (a64?)
It appeared to be 'dead', but after an extra long press it revived
(05-04-2020, 11:11 AM)wdt Wrote: what does "long press" mean?
Is it 4+ seconds? OR 20+ seconds ???
Let's call that (20)  "extra long press"
A couple months ago, I put a wrong uSD card in, for a SBC (a64?)
It appeared to be 'dead', but after an extra long press it revived

Thanks for the reply.

I've done that and nothing happens, if I switch the eMMc switch OFF it doesn't do anything even if I press de power button for about a minute, if I enable the swicth the LED goes red but nothing happens more...
Well, it's a long shot ....
>but after I switch to Manjaro 20.04 (installed in the eMMC),
remove emmc?
OR a serial cable
(05-03-2020, 03:19 PM)gimy16 Wrote: Hi comuntiy!

My problem is that my PBP has been working perfectly, but after I switch to Manjaro 20.04 (installed in the eMMC), I had to change the mirrorlist manually, once that was done, my PBP has not been able to power on again.

I tried different SD cards with different OS and there's nothing it can boot it, I long press the power button and the RED LED light is on but nothing happens; I tried to press the RESET button but it's the same... Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

My problem is similar to yours: the red light comes on but nothing else happens. Nobody else here even gets a red light. I too had installed Manjaro 20.04 to the emmc. Unlike you though, I could boot some Operating Systems from the SD card or else from the USB 2.0 port. So it seems to be a software problem, not a hardware problem. As this a thread for hardware problems, I'm in the wrong place here really.

It was mentioned earlier in this post somewhere that all firmware has to boot from the storage device, and that this firmware is what drives the lights. There seems to be some glitch in Manjaro on the P.book Pro at the moment (going by the Manjaro forum), where alternative OS do not boot from the SD card. Before that there was a problem on 19.04 I think with the Pinebook pro not booting at all. This seems to be related.

Anyway, all I've succeeded in doing so far is booting up and installing a fresh Manjaro 20.04 from USB 2.0 to emmc. When I turned off the computer, however, I was back to the same problem.
Then I flashed Debian Mate to an SD card by following the link on the Wiki page (https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...an_Desktop). That booted into Debian from the SD card but there was no option to write it to the emmc.
I'm stuck there for the moment. I used a media writer to flash the image (Fedora Media Writer).
I tried to use the dd command instead in case this would make it prompt to install Debian onto the emmc. I did not really know what I was doing though so I failed (dd if=/home/ciaran/Downloads/pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit-191123.img.xz of=/run/media/ciaran
dd: failed to open '/run/media/ciaran': Is a directory).
I also flashed Bionic LXDE to an SD card using the same media writer. That gives a green light, but nothing more. I've also tried Balena Etcher before but had the exact same problems with booting SD cards to the pinebook pro on Manjaro. Besides, I've just used the Fedora media writer to flash the latest UB Ports build and that has worked just fine, so I doubt this makes any difference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 230 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,002 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,140 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,724 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,760 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife