Special mid-month update - shipping status of PBP ; PT and PP
Mid-month update (shipping & project progress information catch-up)

Since we've experienced shipping delays and other hurdles (which I discussed at length in this month's update) I figured that the right thing to do is bring you up to speed on whats going on in the past 2 weeks rather than have you wait until the November update. This way you're not left hanging without any information for too long - which I understand and appreciate can be quite frustrating. Instead of  writing another blog entry, I opted for a much less formal forum post - I'll likely have to edit it once or twice in the coming days anyways, since I expect more news from TL and the respective factories. 

Here is the run-down:

Pinebook Pro

Shipping of the first Pinebook Pros batch was completed today [edit] The majority of Pinebook Pros shipped out, with a handful shipping together with the 2nd batch; its all in DHL's hands now. If you are in the first batch and haven't received your unit yet, you'll be getting an email or SMS soon. I expect that most of the early adopters will have their Pinebook Pro by the end of the week *fingers crossed*.
Thanks for being so patient and positive on both the forum and the chats - its really appreciated!

The second and third batch Pinebook Pro PCBs have already arrived at the factory and will be assembled this week. The entire laptops will be assembled and quality control checked right after; if all goes well, we'll have them shipped by the end of October or sometime in the first week of November. I'll keep you posted. [edit 24/10/19] It appears that everything is on-track regarding assembly, and the batch will indeed go out on the 29/10.  

[edit 2 / 24/10/19] The 'public batch' with 64GB eMMC modules will ship the on November 5th(~ish).

PinePhone Dev kits

The thing that put the PinePhone dev kit shipping on hold was an issue with the touch panel digitizer (see October blog entry). This delay bought us some time to deal with the last outstanding issue - namely tuning the antennas. So not to waste time at a later stage, we engaged the modem vendor in helping us achieve the best possible reception on these developer units. It is my understanding that tuning has been completed as of today.

I don't have a firm shipping date for the dev kits yet, but I expect them to they will ship out before the end of October.

I will be getting more information regarding the PinePhone dev kits as well as the Brave Heart early adopter units in the next few days. I'll expect to be updating this entry very soon - perhaps even in the next 24hrs. 

[edit 24/10/19] The developer PinePhones will ship on 29/10, next week Tuesday (at the time of writing)

[edit] PinePhone Brave Heart edition pre-orders will likely open in November and will be delivered to users in December... just in time for Christmas.

PineTime Dev kits

The PineTime dev kits shipped out yesterday to developers. This makes for one thing less to manage or deal with production-wise. Its on developers now to take this project forward - cannot wait to see how fast software for the PT will progresses. We are also very keen to hear what developers think about the hardware.

At this time I don't know which shipping method was selected for the PT dev kits - but I expect it will take some 10+ days for most units to reach their destination.

[edit 24/10/19] At the time of writing, first PineTime dev kits have been received and I expect many more to reach their new homes in the next few days.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

... and the PineTab?
(10-15-2019, 11:45 AM)Paraplegic Racehorse Wrote: ... and the PineTab?

Waiting for a suitable OS. Also, we'll first get the PinePhone dev kits and Brave Heart edition shipped.

Thanks 4 the update. Waiting on the second batch  Smile
Nice to to know where we are at thanks for my /our update.
(10-15-2019, 10:09 AM)Luke Wrote: Mid-month update (shipping & project progress information catch-up)

Since we've experienced shipping delays and other hurdles (which I discussed at length in this month's update) I figured that the right thing to do is bring you up to speed on whats going on in the past 2 weeks rather than have you wait until the November update. This way you're not left hanging without any information for too long - which I understand and appreciate can be quite frustrating. Instead of  writing another blog entry, I opted for a much less formal forum post - I'll likely have to edit it once or twice in the coming days anyways, since I expect more news from TL and the respective factories. 

Here is the run-down:

Pinebook Pro

Shipping of the first Pinebook Pros batch was completed today, so its all in DHL's hands now. If you are in the first batch and haven't received your unit yet, you'll be getting an email or SMS soon. I expect that most of the early adopters will have their Pinebook Pro by the end of the week *fingers crossed*.
Thanks for being so patient and positive on both the forum and the chats - its really appreciated!

The second and third batch Pinebook Pro PCBs have already arrived at the factory and will be assembled this week. The entire laptops will be assembled and quality control checked right after; if all goes well, we'll have them shipped by the end of October or sometime in the first week of November. I'll keep you posted. 

PinePhone Dev kits

The thing that put the PinePhone dev kit shipping on hold was an issue with the touch panel digitizer (see October blog entry). This delay bought us some time to deal with the last outstanding issue - namely tuning the antennas. So not to waste time at a later stage, we engaged the modem vendor in helping us achieve the best possible reception on these developer units. It is my understanding that tuning has been completed as of today.

I don't have a firm shipping date for the dev kits yet, but I expect them to they will ship out before the end of October.

I will be getting more information regarding the PinePhone dev kits as well as the Brave Heart early adopter units in the next few days. I'll expect to be updating this entry very soon - perhaps even in the next 24hrs. 

[edit] PinePhone Brave Heart edition pre-orders will open in November and will be delivered to users in December... just in time for Christmas.

PineTime Dev kits

The PineTime dev kits shipped out yesterday to developers. This makes for one thing less to manage or deal with production-wise. Its on developers now to take this project forward - cannot wait to see how fast software for the PT will progresses. We are also very keen to hear what developers think about the hardware.

At this time I don't know which shipping method was selected for the PT dev kits - but I expect it will take some 10+ days for most units to reach their destination.
Thanks Luke!! :-)
Thank you for the update! One question, though - if PP demand turns out to be higher than expected, will you be able to meet it with the Brave Heart batch? If not, how will customers be prioritized?
(10-17-2019, 02:19 PM)vnord Wrote: Thank you for the update! One question, though - if PP demand turns out to be higher than expected, will you be able to meet it with the Brave Heart batch? If not, how will customers be prioritized?

I have no doubt that the demand will be grater than what we can pump out this year. The PinePhone pre-orders will be sold on a first-come first-served basis - people will get a week or two heads-up via social media etc.,

Unlike the Pinebook Pro pre-orders, there will be no prioritization of PINE64 community members. There are so many other partner-projects communities involved in this particular project, and we cannot alienate their user-base (nor force people from their community to join this forum). So, pre-orders will be open to all.

That said, even if the interest will be very big, the phone should not sell out within 12-24 hrs since the batch will be quite sizable. I imagine that it will be at least 2-3 days before pre-orders run dry. But I am guessing, not certain of this. This guess is based on previous experiences, which  may not apply in the PinePhone. Truth be told - we do not know (and no one knows) how big the demand is - its not like there are many other Linux phones out there.

Since Purism still hasn't shipped their phone, I'm guessing you'll get a huge number of their crowd if you end up beating them to the punch. They're taking a lot of heat for delays; partly because they are much less open about development and shipping status than you.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
(10-17-2019, 04:40 PM)Paraplegic Racehorse Wrote: Since Purism still hasn't shipped their phone, I'm guessing you'll get a huge number of their crowd if you end up beating them to the punch. They're taking a lot of heat for delays; partly because they are much less open about development and shipping status than you.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Seems they started shipping recently. Regardless, I think that within the Linux phone microcosm many people already have their hearts set for one phone or the other, and shipping dates (especially ones so close) don't really matter all that much. This is just my intuition talking - I may be wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 88,303 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 106,652 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,514 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 164,809 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 79,803 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 174,641 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,888 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM
  Manjaro Community Edition Shipping thread Luke 122 145,671 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Muad
Information August/ September Pinebook Pro, PineTab and PinePhone shipping thread Luke 256 371,123 10-27-2020, 11:14 AM
  The PinePhone is real and shipping soon! (September blog update) fire219 20 35,649 09-22-2020, 02:41 PM
Last Post: fsflover