Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release
(03-15-2019, 05:43 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 05:26 PM)NightCrawler504 Wrote: Im sorry im no dev and cant seem to access desktop session, get greeted with tty1, insert credentials and stay on command screen, tried startx, sudo service lightdm start/restart service not found, how do i start desktop session? im using a 4k tv as display don't have an hdmi monitor at hand to test on separate display, did change edid to 1080 and after a few restarts still stuck at tty1 command screen. Am i missing command to start in desktop session? Or is just because of tv?

Very strange. That shouldn't happen. You don't have to set anything, 1080p is forced upon you on the build just because 4K doesn't make for a good experience. To be honest, just reflash. If you still have the issue after you reflash, then please pastebin the output of dmesg.

[edit] could be a faulty SD card.
lol jokes on me, I burned the image without unzipping first, unzipping and re flashing im pretty sure after re flashing it will work, so for all the other noobs like me unzip first Big Grin guess the excitement got the best of me Tongue noob problems
(03-15-2019, 05:26 PM)kardanadm Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 04:57 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote: USB-C video output is working but no sound

Good to know. The default sound output is to HDMI; curious if its possible to switch sources to USB-C somehow ... hmm... could you poke around and see if you can make sound work? try alsamixer perhaps ?

[edit]
Quote: The fan is not working. I think we need to install software for it to work.

There is good software for the fan from one of the users

USB-C: When I log in with Rock, I enter a password and the screen turns off when the system is fully turned on.

When I sign in with Root, your question works, but no sound.

experienced this problem in other desktop systems.

I have no Linux experience, my adventure started with Linux rockpro64. but I want to share my experience as best I can.

Do two things. Edit exlinux config in /boot/extlinux (need to mount it) and the one flag referring to HDMI. You can also try and delete the xorg.conf in /etc/X11. You should back-up both configs first in case of issues.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2019, 06:14 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 05:26 PM)kardanadm Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 04:57 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote: USB-C video output is working but no sound

Good to know. The default sound output is to HDMI; curious if its possible to switch sources to USB-C somehow ... hmm... could you poke around and see if you can make sound work? try alsamixer perhaps ?

[edit]
Quote: The fan is not working. I think we need to install software for it to work.

There is good software for the fan from one of the users

USB-C: When I log in with Rock, I enter a password and the screen turns off when the system is fully turned on.

When I sign in with Root, your question works, but no sound.

experienced this problem in other desktop systems.

I have no Linux experience, my adventure started with Linux rockpro64. but I want to share my experience as best I can.

Do two things. Edit exlinux config in /boot/extlinux (need to mount it) and the one flag referring to HDMI. You can also try and delete the xorg.conf in /etc/X11. You should back-up both configs first in case of issues.

USB-C: the display is turned off repeatedly. I've waited persistently and now it's running steadily but still no sound.
No sound option what-so-ever in alsamixer for USB-C? Don't have the build at hand, but will check on Sunday night.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2019, 06:38 PM)Luke Wrote: No sound option what-so-ever in alsamixer for USB-C? Don't have the build at hand, but will check on Sunday night.

I've set up VLC, I've tried everything ALSA also no sound.

But I can give you two other good news. works bt dongle and wifi dongle. So far on Android, Debian, Ubuntu, LibreElec did not work. this is the first.

Edit: Netflix does not work
Ok so if you are running linux and use sbc for media in any way shape or form just change to this distro now, need to read no more.

Personally I have been using this board in Android as a media box (mostly for Morpheus app to watch tv shows and with google play installed) while a good Linux image comes out that can handle media, mi rpi3 is still the main sbc im using in my living room as it works as a torrent box/media player/pihole/nas/printer share device all at the same time running on raspbian.

Pros of present build
Youtube works on chromium at 1080 as confirmed by others
There is sound and video playback both on chromium and players
Nice look
Does also play other streaming pages.
Media works hardware accelerated as advertised the biggest plus is that it works!!

did change to on demand over performance (power option i think it was, usually youl find this on android devices under kernel tweks but its straight on the desktop in this case)

Cons
Got a 4k tv and although 4k resolution for display available, icons will not resize and changing font makes it look odd if I play media it starts becoming undependable, choppy and stutters.
Cant use 1920x1080 because screen size shows over scan, cant see the whole screen (mostly trouble because cant see task bar)
Cant use 1024x720 because of same issue
1024x768 does the job, every thing fits, but its under 1080 resolution, screen fits best here and don't get stutters
Could not play network shared media files on smp or mpv, did work on Kodi
Kodi on 1080p hevc 10 bit did feel choppy don't know if its because of my resolution madness
x264 at 1080p files did play nice on kodi, remember they are network media files im testing that only where able to play on kodi
Kodi interface seems choppy
As pointed before did have to manually add wifi network to work but really no problem here since its a one time deal
Streaming from other pages works but did get plenty of stutters here.

In short things work but its still not a smooth enjoyable experience, something that my rpi3 is actually is getting done surprisingly, even faster than rp64 board by this i mean loads media, browses the web and loads apps faster. doesn't do hevc though. doesn't have a pcie slot either.

I do want to thank Mrfixit and Luke for their hard work, Its another huge step forward, and knowing that because of pinebookpro announcement there will be continuing development, really hope eventually software reaches a mature state that results in an enjoyable experience; as it already is now as headless server, retro gaming box and many other applications actually for that matter just feels frustrating that it cannot outperform my rpi3 at the same tasks, and yes this might be a me thing, but selling a product to the average Joe like me is a vastly greater market than just developers or learnig experience until you create a dependable software platform. The sales point in this board is the PCIE but still can be as much mainstream as other boards without some nice software. I would love to ship in with code but im no dev, if anything maybe test and give my honest true opinion as end user. Dont get me wrong a huge thanks to you guys for the time investment in your code, you guys rock. But feel Like Rockship and Pine should have a more engaging role other than wait for good people of the community to get things done, its their product. Rockship should at least give support for kernell and if that wasn't part of the deal than Pine should step up, if not pay a salary or sale share, people that are already getting things done are good place to strart. At least give developers Like MrFixit lets say a nice Christmas present because these things don't sell if the people that bought them aren't happy and ppl start trashing the product. Most ppl will not be ok to deal with something that is not just plug and play. I find this board to be at a nice price point and a gr8 solution for many use scenarios because of its pcie but really would hope that pine or rockship reaches out to make their products more solid on the software side, tv boxes have managed this somehow, without loosing competitive prices, ill stop because i don't like to send bad out vibes, but really cant say i can deal with my frustration without venting a little out, Pine should do what ever is necessary to avoid that their products are being out performed by older products that are 1/3 the price. Really hope Pine gets the message and thank you guys again for your hard work. You have already manged to accomplish a great thing, would love pine to encourage you to continue to do so, with some substantial gratitude yes money I mean, so that this board can have the recognition, benefits and sales it deserves. The board is good, price point good, software both android and linux still have it cut out you guys really are making the diference thank you.
Thank you all for the feedback!!

Regarding DP audio - curious what the results of "aplay -l" are? We haven't tested this, so the device tree may need some tweaking for the audio part.

Netflix playback will require widevine. We cannot legally include that in the image I don't think, so do some googling on how to install it into chromium Smile

NightCrawler -thanks for the time and feedback! Sorry you've run into some roadblocks. We have not seen the display issues you're experiencing in our tests, at 1080p and at 4k on our 4k tv it all displays fine. It's good to remind users that not all TVs and monitors are created equal tho!
The desktop build isn't really intended to be a media center solution like you're describing. It sounds like the solution for you would be LibreElec or my Recalbox build. Both have KODI and support the type of media playback in a media-center solution you're looking for. 4K as a desktop resolution isn't really recommended, as it's not going to give a smooth user experience. But 1080p everything is nice and smooth in all tests so far Smile
We will continue to improve with every release as well, so thanks again!!
Thank you, just blowing of some steam, I purchased the rp64 as an upgrade for a rpi3, not being able to make it do the same job is what frustrates me, again rp64 hardware wise is more than capable of handling same work load and more, seems it just will not be the case  Sad will have to stick to the rpi3 as it works as expected (sometimes slow but working) and look for other options for upgrade.

4k screen does work on both 4096 and 3840 just letters too small and if you enlarge font icons wont resize past a certain size makes them look small and breaks the overall look. Attached you will see an image where icons are actually smaller then a microsd, pointer smaller yet, if i change fonts in resolutions other than 4k icons resize themselves perfect to new font size.  system stutters when in 4k.

For the record im using the rp64 as a media box via android because it cannot do all rpi3 can, hope it will someday, problem with recalbox is i cannot stream which i can with android at 1080p would use this biuld but being stuck at 1024x768 i prefer to go back to android, im sure software will mature specially if you are planning on pinebookpro.

could not attach image because of size, so here is the link:
Image Link

Might as well share a 1080 image as you can see no task bar:
1080img Link
Smile 
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank @Mrfixit2001 and @Luke and the community for all the hard word and commitment for the development of the rockpro64 (rp64). Thanks you!

I got my rp64 board just few days ago and have been experimenting with various available images including the desktop and minimal releases. So far this is the best one I have come across in terms of playback for audio and video. Like @NightCrawler504 I have also upgraded to rp64 from rpi3 to be used as a home media server with nas/file server. But to my disappointment there is still a lot of development that needs to happen before I can fully replace my rpi3 even though rp64 is vastly superior in performance and interface connectivity. However, I would like to contribute to the community as much as I can even though I am still a complete noob.

So after playing with this release for couple hours, I have hit wall when I tried to install NFS server. When trying to start the nfs-server it fails due to nfs or nfsd module not present in the kernel. So my question would be, is there any linux-headers available for 4.4.171 so I can compile the nfs/nfsd module and add to the kernel? Or if anyone be kind enough to point me to the right direction on how to get the nfs/nfsd module into the kernel without a full recompile?

Also on the side note, I did not have much time, but I tried to connect a bluetooth audio device, such as a JBL Charge 2+, it paired successfully however could not establish any connection to audio sink / headset and failed. I will try to test it again later. And also the volume from the 3.5mm jack is extremely low, I tried with different speakers and cables but to no avail. I am unsure if that is a software / hardware related matter. However, the volume from the HDMI out is fine.

For now thank you all for your continued support!
I did a pulseaudio uninstall, I get 8 channel sound from AVR with SMPlayer. just like LibreELEC.
Spotify is not set up I've tried so many hours I tried, but I couldn't succeed. I would be very happy if someone helped. I'm aiming to get rid of Android, he's gonna make me cancer. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,821 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  How do I enable Pine touchdisplay as display on Debian? Thisone 0 515 04-23-2023, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Thisone
  Is some u-boot required on the SPI for installing debian with the official installer? callegar 1 1,284 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ratzzupaltuff
  Armbian 22.02 Release Announcement TRS-80 0 1,110 02-28-2022, 05:08 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Install Mali 400 Drivers for Debian 11 on RockPro64 MaverickPi 2 2,317 02-19-2022, 06:44 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  Debian image configured for USB-C OTG? djonathan 2 2,484 01-06-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: susy1075
Bug Unreliable display in Armbian and Debian ksattic 3 3,068 11-17-2021, 05:42 AM
Last Post: PakoSt
  Debian Bullseye & RockPro64: No tty consoles? Pete Tandy 9 7,311 11-08-2021, 02:33 PM
  HBA Card working on Aufan's builds but not in debian, armbian or dietpi charsi 1 1,820 10-29-2021, 11:15 AM
  Two Questions About Debian on RockPro64 publiclewdness 0 1,272 09-30-2021, 11:54 AM
Last Post: publiclewdness