Basic questions about what to expect upon powerup
Question 
So, maybe that's kinda noob'ish, but I can't find basic information about what is supposed to happen when I plug the USB power cable...

1. Is the red led meant to to be red all the time, or is it meant to flash or turn green?
2. Ist the red led simply a "power on" indicator?
3. Given 2. is true, when plugging the USB cable, is the system meant to start up or do I have to shorten the power pins?
4. Or does the constant red glow indicate an error of some kind, i.e. weak power supply?

5. When no microsd is inserted, is there a splash or start screen supposed to come up via HDMI?
6. Is there supposed to be an install screen when a microsd is inserted, given that it contains a valid image?

7. I'm using Windows 7, but PhoenixCard 3.10 has no button descriptions - anybody ever had this? I am using the download provided on the wiki and tried to change language-codes within the .ini file to no avail, then burnt an image "blindly" by looking at a screenshot of PhoenixCard 3.10.

Thanks for any advice! And maybe some admin could move this thread to the newbie-section? Didn't see it... Bummer.
(04-21-2016, 11:35 AM)bkodenkt Wrote: So, maybe that's kinda noob'ish, but I can't find basic information about what is supposed to happen when I plug the USB power cable...

1. Is the red led meant to to be red all the time, or is it meant to flash or turn green?
2. Ist the red led simply a "power on" indicator?
3. Given 2. is true, when plugging the USB cable, is the system meant to start up or do I have to shorten the power pins?
4. Or does the constant red glow indicate an error of some kind, i.e. weak power supply?

5. When no microsd is inserted, is there a splash or start screen supposed to come up via HDMI?
6. Is there supposed to be an install screen when a microsd is inserted, given that it contains a valid image?

7. I'm using Windows 7, but PhoenixCard 3.10 has no button descriptions - anybody ever had this? I am using the download provided on the wiki and tried to change language-codes within the .ini file to no avail, then burnt an image "blindly" by looking at a screenshot of PhoenixCard 3.10.

Thanks for any advice!
1 Red power indicator
2 Yes
3 Not clear? If you are asking if you have to short the power button pads to turn on, no, just apply power, it will come on.
4 No red means power, nothing else
5 No, you will get nothing on hdmi nor serial console 
6 If you have a correctly installed image on an sd there should be something shown
7 you are possibly missing a windows system dll, blindly should work

6b If your monitor does not support 1080p 100% correctly you will see nothing on the screen, if you have wired ethernet and wait about 20 mins for the boot to finish and see network activity you know the pine booted even if you get no display.
(04-21-2016, 11:51 AM)rahlquist Wrote: 7 you are possibly missing a windows system dll, blindly should work

AFAIK for setup there needs to be startup activated in Phoenix, also see here:

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PhoenixCard

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
Awesome, all questions answered right away! Thank you, rahlquist! I will try to get a decent image onto the microsd and try again afterwards!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power supply questions montero65 36 44,951 08-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 questions before purchase frankm 5 5,493 05-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Last Post: MrWizerd
  A few (hopefully) simple questions... Jake 9 14,067 01-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Nilocsemliw