self-reboot issue
Hello,

This makes now almost a year that i use my rock64. Globally, i could verify and do what i wanted, but a problem remains with this SBC.
After each power up, and after some times of usage (generally few minutes), the Rock64 reboots alone Angry ; most of the time, this happens when using a web browser (my internet connection is done via the wifi usb dongle found on the Pine64 store),  and after this unwanted self-reboot the board works fine. I have this issue with all the linux versions i tested: bionic LXDE on eMMC, ARMBIAN stretch and ARMBIAN Bionic on µSD card.

Someone can help me?

regards
(02-06-2019, 04:51 AM)pas059 Wrote: Someone can help me?

Have you checked the chip temperature?
Tongue 
Hi,

I did not looked the T° while self-reboot, but following the informations given by armbianmonitor, the t° is between 60° and 70° during low activity (consulting some web pages, Qt Creator open). If i add a usb3 camera, just to make the heat increases, the t° goes up to 90° but no self-reboot. And when the self-reboot happens, my activity on the rock is low, as i know that a self-reboot will happen, i don't make crucial activities while a self-reboot is pending Smile
I Had added a heatsink on the SoC from the beginning
regards
(02-06-2019, 09:22 AM)pas059 Wrote: Hi,

I did not looked the T° while self-reboot, but following the informations given by armbianmonitor, the t° is between 60° and 70° during low activity (consulting some web pages, Qt Creator open). If i add a usb3 camera, just to make the heat increases, the t° goes up to 90° but no self-reboot. And when the self-reboot happens, my activity on the rock is low, as i know that a self-reboot will happen, i don't make crucial activities while a self-reboot is pending Smile
I Had added a heatsink on the SoC from the beginning
regards

Throttling should kick in about 83C and it shouldn't get as high as 90...
Hi,

this morning i made other tests; just after the power up i started arbianmonitor for seeing the T°. Then i started to use the rock64, Firefox, Qt,.... progressively the tmperature increased. After some time of "heating", depending on the activity, the t° fluctuate between 65° and 88°. And at a moment, while the T° was 75° and the activity low, the rock64 self-rebooted. So i think that it's not a question of T°.
After this self-reboot, i added an usb3 camera an started an application which display the video, no problem .... and the T° is continously at 90° (and cpu load > 90%). I already do this during hours without problem. If i open the case of my rock64, the T° falls at 86°, one can let a finger on the heatsink, ok that's (very?) hot but one does not burn oneself.

an idea?
regards
(02-07-2019, 04:27 AM)pas059 Wrote: Hi,

this morning i made other tests; just after the power up i started arbianmonitor for seeing the T°. Then i started to use the rock64, Firefox, Qt,.... progressively the tmperature increased. After some time of "heating", depending on the activity, the t° fluctuate between 65° and 88°. And at a moment, while the T° was 75° and the activity low, the rock64 self-rebooted. So i think that it's not a question of T°.
After this self-reboot, i added an usb3 camera an started an application which display the video, no problem .... and the T° is continously at 90° (and cpu load > 90%). I already do this during hours without problem. If i open the case of my rock64, the T° falls at 86°, one can let a finger on the heatsink, ok that's (very?) hot but one does not burn oneself.

an idea?
regards

my takes you may have grounding issue that cause your ROCK64 reboot. Looks like when you add more devices, your grounding issue becomes less. this is my wild guess on your issue.

floating grounding issue in general will not damage your electronic device (such as SBC), when there is energy spike in your house and create a grounding flux that may disturb SBC operation.

If you have interest to know whether you have floating ground issue, just tie all your device grounding to solid earth thru one ground point.

In digital world, people no longer care much about grounding. In old analog world, especially among HiFi forks, grounding is a serious issue that can cause hamming sounds

again, this is my wild guess due to you mention addin more device and self reboot issue doesn't appear.
Hi,

i never said that when i add device the self-reboot issue disappears; as we spoke of T°, this was just for indicate that when i connect and use a usb3 device, the heat increases, but this is not surprising.
The self-reboot appears ONE time after power-up (by plugging the power supply or using the power-up switche), and it seems that this does not depend on the T° (self-reboot appears with T° of 65°, 75°,...), and this happens wether i connect a device or not, and often under a web browser ( Huh ). And the time between power-up and the self-reboot power-up can be one minute, or dozens of minutes, and after the self-reboot i can work for many hours without problem. Strange, isnt-it?

regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDMI 2.0a CEC compliancy issue? Willem53 1 2,454 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  Rock64 scipy, numpy, scikit-image, matplotlib issue with pip3 ictele 0 1,976 02-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Last Post: ictele
  My Rock64 no power or light issue Nolaboy406 3 4,307 07-24-2018, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Reboot Issue with ROCK64 Linux version 4.4.77-rockchip-ayufan-141 techyjtmb 9 9,987 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Last Post: NablaMetal
  [Issue] All Rock leds are blinking Chispolas 6 7,743 04-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  [Issue] Can't install the LibreElec Port from Raybuntu k0Lm_ 1 2,808 03-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Last Post: k0Lm_
  HDMI-CEC issue after TV restarting Sahab 4 3,775 02-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sahab
  Possible Hardware Fault/Issue jata 6 6,396 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Last Post: jata