Case crack
Greetings,

I too noticed a hairline crack near the pwr button a few months after delivery.

Removing the base screws (6) I noticed two or three were loose, half a turn or so. Most screws had locktite including the loose ones. I have no idea if these screws were loose at delivery but I alone have access to this 11" (1080p) Pinebook and I have not mistreated or dropped it.

Like the picture above it is a mess. Cracked screw holes for the hinge mounting brackets, bits of plastic debris.

I like my Pinebook. I still do and use it regularly. But I do not close it and thereby eliminate stress on the hinge assembly.

I'm not asking for a replacement or money back. But if a sturdier case came to market I might go that route.

Best..

HenryD
(07-05-2019, 10:50 AM)HenryD Wrote: Greetings,

Removing the base screws (6) I noticed two or three were loose, half a turn or so. Most screws had locktite including the loose ones. I have no idea if these screws were loose at delivery but I alone have access to this 11" (1080p) Pinebook and I have not mistreated or dropped it.

Like the picture above it is a mess. Cracked screw holes for the hinge mounting brackets, bits of plastic debris.

I like my Pinebook. I still do and use it regularly. But I do not close it and thereby eliminate stress on the hinge assembly.

I'm not asking for a replacement or money back. But if a sturdier case came to market I might go that route.

Best..

HenryD

Pro will come with a Magnesium alloy casing instead of plastic. Should last a bit longer.

Since my last post my Pinebook:
- Crack near power button now goes into USB port.
- Offside USB port bottom plastic cracked off.
- Hinge seems to have... dropped? Case makes click sound when screen is adjusted.
- Keyboard now even worse for detection than first purchase.

Nothing against Pine64 since they didn't claim this to be a singing and dancing laptop, but god damn this is a flimsy device.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
Soupbowl,

Quote:Pro will come with a Magnesium alloy casing instead of plastic. Should last a bit longer.

Thanks for the tip. I have not been following Pine64 news recently.

As this issue with cracked cases seems small in number I wonder if the cause is simply a QA issue with assembly rather than design or materials. I must admit that I was aware of the problem before purchase. With 20/20 it would be prudent to inspect inside and out for loose screws. Merely a guess.

Best,

HenryD
(07-06-2019, 11:02 AM)HenryD Wrote: Soupbowl,

Quote:Pro will come with a Magnesium alloy casing instead of plastic. Should last a bit longer.

Thanks for the tip. I have not been following Pine64 news recently.

As this issue with cracked cases seems small in number I wonder if the cause is simply a QA issue with assembly rather than design or materials. I must admit that I was aware of the problem before purchase. With 20/20 it would be prudent to inspect inside and out for loose screws. Merely a guess.

Best,

HenryD

True, I don't know enough about build material qualities to know what is suitable. I assumed the cheapest possible material were used to ensure the lowest price point, and I assumed it meant the form would be fragile. Holding the laptop up by the corner is enough for an alarming flex.

This was a pilot device for Pine64 however, so I would be more comfortable for such build errors not to be present in the Pro.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
(07-05-2019, 10:50 AM)HenryD Wrote: Greetings,

Best..

HenryD

We have feedback the findings from forum and support tickets to factory and also asking for their improvement feedback.
I have run into this problem as well. Many of the plastic screw points are broken at both hinges, around the battery and I have a crack just above the power button.

Now I don't think it is worth fixing this product. Has anyone else reused parts from a pinebook with other projects? Like the main board without a screen, keyboard and battery for a small server? Or the LCD panel with another SBC like a raspberry pi 3b or 3b+ on Retropie or other distros. Reusing the screen would be awesome for another system.
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
A replacement bottom case including keyboard and touchpad is only $18.95 from the Pine Store.
https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebo...d-build-in

Of course, when you add in the shipping, taxes, dismantling old, rebuilding new aggravation it might not be worth it.

But it would get you an "as new" working pinebook again.

Except the only problem is that they are currently out of stock ... sorry.
(07-29-2019, 11:57 AM)neilman Wrote: A replacement bottom case including keyboard and touchpad is only $18.95 from the Pine Store.
https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebo...d-build-in

Of course, when you add in the shipping, taxes, dismantling old, rebuilding new aggravation it might not be worth it.

But it would get you an "as new" working pinebook again.

Except the only problem is that they are currently out of stock ... sorry.

just email to sales@pine64.org and sometimes they have spare.
(04-09-2019, 02:00 PM)haukef Wrote: I spotted a faint crack line in the top right of the keyboard case. When I opened the back, I saw this:

[Image: DSCI0214.JPG]

Very similar issue on my 14" pinebook. Screws encased in plastic is almost destroyed, so they does not keep the chassis in place, and the screen has not support. It is really too much broken, to be repaired. Thus I contact them for a quotation on possible spare parts.

If any of you has a pinebook not working, but with intact chassis, I consider the possibility to buy it.
Mick 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Case Mod Opening for Serial Console Slider Switch MarkHaysHarris777 1 6,208 11-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: machinehum
  Switch inside the case hene 3 4,642 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Does the case take paint? combs 4 5,016 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: combs