FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
Hi I'm another new Forum member ready to order Pinebook Pro ASAP.  Smile
(02-04-2019, 11:23 AM)Luke Wrote: After we arrived at FOSDEM my daughter spiked a 40*C fever and I subsequently spent entire Friday at the emergency. On Saturday I had to split time between being at FOSDEM floor and taking care of the kid. By Sunday I too had a fever of 39*C (shout-out to Manjaro and UBPorts Devs, as well as community members - particularly Gamiee - for coverning for me at the stall). Barely made it back home alive, with a sick kid a high fever and sinus infection. Once I'm well - and I collect pictures from community members - I'll do the write up. Probably a week delay.

Get well soon, for you and your daughter!
(02-01-2019, 03:19 PM)Baldnerd Wrote: Selden I believe you are speaking of QuickCharge, which is a standard that has not been mentioned in any of the documents I've seen at this time... so it is unlikely to be supported. Though definitely a good question to ask. I'll see if I can get an answer (unless someone beats me to it).

You are correct, the Quickcharge didn't support on Pinebook Pro.
(02-01-2019, 05:30 PM)Selden Wrote: Thanks Robbie, but Quick Charge is Qualcomm's proprietary charging implementation; I'm talking specifically about the USB Power Delivery standard, as proposed by the USB Implementers Forum. Since its implementation, one of the problems with USB Type-C has been insufficient enforcement, which leads to compatibility issues.

This article outlines some of the pitfalls: It’s 2018 and USB Type-C is still a mess

Using a dedicated power port isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can imagine a situation where I lose a charger with a proprietary barrel connector while travelling (DAMHIK) and using a USB Type-C charging cable would be a useful fallback. 

Google engineer Benson Leung has achieved some notoriety as a USB Type-C investigator — including destroying some of his devices in Type-C charging testing that went wrong. 
Here is the tl;dr version from Benson: USB Type-C™’s Configuration Channel

So, my questions are:
  1. Can the Pinbook Pro's USB Type-C port be used for charging?
  2. If yes, what charging voltage range is supported?

1. yes, the USB type-C can be used for charging
2. traditional 5V range but can quick charge in high current mode (max 4A) when enable.
(02-03-2019, 05:46 AM)thafra Wrote: Hi, I just signed up for this community as the Pinebook Pro looks very promising to me. As far as I know there has been no release date announced yet, correct? Could you maybe give me a rough approximation such as "first half of the year"?

My T410 is slowly but surely dying after almost 9 years of service and I would love to make the PBP it's successor!

Welcome to PINE64 community. The Pinebook Pro targets to release around late May or early June. We need to respin the Pinebook pro schematic to resolve some minor issue and also deliver prototype untis to key OS developers.
(02-04-2019, 11:23 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 08:32 PM)Selden Wrote: Luke, Eagerly waiting for pictures, and whatever you can information glean from the show floor, including first impressions, if you can get your hands on one for more than 30 seconds.

Try not to drink too much Belgian beer while you are there!

After we arrived at FOSDEM my daughter spiked a 40*C fever and I subsequently spent entire Friday at the emergency. On Saturday I had to split time between being at FOSDEM floor and taking care of the kid. By Sunday I too had a fever of 39*C (shout-out to Manjaro and UBPorts Devs, as well as community members - particularly Gamiee - for coverning for me at the stall). Barely made it back home alive, with a sick kid a high fever and sinus infection. Once I'm well - and I collect pictures from community members - I'll do the write up. Probably a week delay.

Dear lukasz, wishes your family on getting well soon.
(02-05-2019, 05:29 AM)jumanjicostco Wrote: Hi there, yet another user here who signed up when I heard about the Pinebook Pro, and am also excited for the PinePhone when that is ready for release. Do we know the physical dimensions of the Pinebook Pro yet? Will they be the same/similar to the current 14" Pinebook?

Also do we have a solid idea of how long a single charge will be expected to last on both devices? I know particularly for the phone we're sitll in the early stages but I am still very curious

Now teh FOSDEM is over and having some time to check out Pinebook Pro thermal profiling and also battery run times. I predict will have 5-6 hours on a single charge and will post my finding on next week.

The PinePhone single charge run time is my concern, able to use the pinephone for a full day is extremely challenging.
The idea of the black keys you something that I like, seems that way we could have different layouts four different encodings. You could target a wider market as well. The end user would stick different stickers for different language configuration that would suit English, Russian or French speakers, so to say.

Regards,

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
Pinebook Pro sounds great sign me up, its like Google's OP1 based chrome book but with or without chrome OS we get the choice. Amazing. Good work guys. And Happy New year.
I'm here to express my keen interest in the PBPro : )

As I have user experience with OP1 chromebooks (ASUS C101PA), at this stage I'm mostly interested in the thermals of the PBPro -- what is the TDP and what dissipation surfaces and materials are being considered for the RK3399?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,458 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,775 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,374 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,431 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,343 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,758 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,586 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,637 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,647 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim