FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
I'm yet another person that signed up out of interest in the Pinebook Pro. Is the newsletter the best way to get notified when it goes up for sale?
(02-02-2019, 08:32 PM)Selden Wrote: Luke, Eagerly waiting for pictures, and whatever you can information glean from the show floor, including first impressions, if you can get your hands on one for more than 30 seconds.

Try not to drink too much Belgian beer while you are there!

Credit to FireEater64 for this picture of the internals of the Pinebook Pro on display at FOSDEM:

[Image: 4JmSWX7.jpg]

I also have some impressions from him:
"Overall impressions - the build quality of the pro is very impressive but the keyboard is pretty cheap. It's not awful but it's not fantastic. Think netbook quality but with lighter keys. I could probably get used to it but I use a chiclet at work so I'm probably not the best judge. Other than that it was seriously impressive though." 

He was unable to test the Pro running as it wasn't powered on at the time.

Availability June 2019.
I also signed up due to interest in the Pinebook Pro - it sounds perfect as a laptop for travelling.

I would be interested to know where we can register on a waiting list for it!
Im also hoping the pinebook pro lives up to the expectations. To me the most important factor is a 1080p screen. it's what's put me off getting the Teres II and using my Chromebook more often. Anything less now a days is just a headache for daily use

However the camera has now also caught my eye. I've done small projects using a Logitech webcam and I've always found it lacking and frustrating in terms of "hackability". for instance it has many different output modes but they're all undocumented and it's unclear how to switch between them programmatically (you can seemingly do something through V4L, but how to do that from a simple c++ program is unclear). it has an adjustable focus, but again, no API for interfacing with it. the gain control is also automatic and can't be manually overridden. the only "API" of sorts ends up being whatever levers OpenCV happens to have ... which is not many

I think there is a big unfilled demand for fully adjustable cameras that aren't at lab-equipment prices. Of course this is not just a hardware problem, but a software one as well
So there we have it, 38 Wh it is.

(02-04-2019, 06:50 AM)CampGareth Wrote: ...
Credit to FireEater64 for this picture of the internals of the Pinebook Pro on display at FOSDEM:

[Image: 4JmSWX7.jpg]

(02-02-2019, 08:32 PM)Selden Wrote: Luke, Eagerly waiting for pictures, and whatever you can information glean from the show floor, including first impressions, if you can get your hands on one for more than 30 seconds.

After we arrived at FOSDEM my daughter spiked a 40*C fever and I subsequently spent entire Friday at the emergency. On Saturday I had to split time between being at FOSDEM floor and taking care of the kid. By Sunday I too had a fever of 39*C (shout-out to Manjaro and UBPorts Devs, as well as community members - particularly Gamiee - for coverning for me at the stall). Barely made it back home alive, with a sick kid a high fever and sinus infection. Once I'm well - and I collect pictures from community members - I'll do the write up. Probably a week delay.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Pinebook Pro is a dream coming to life for me. I'm using 10 years old Sony Vaio (Core2 Duo, anyone remember? Smile to manage my Raspberry Pi and for linux stuff. I've looked at Pinebook but specs were not up to my expectations. With Pinebook Pro I can easily say "this is what I was looking for". I want at least two, one for me and one for my daughter Smile
(02-04-2019, 11:23 AM)Luke Wrote:

After we arrived at FOSDEM my daughter spiked a 40*C fever and I subsequently spent entire Friday at the emergency. On Saturday I had to split time between being at FOSDEM floor and taking care of the kid. By Sunday I too had a fever of 39*C (shout-out to Manjaro and UBPorts Devs, as well as community members - particularly Gamiee - for coverning for me at the stall). Barely made it back home alive, with a sick kid a high fever and sinus infection. Once I'm well - and I collect pictures from community members - I'll do the write up. Probably a week delay.

We can wait, health is the first  Smile
Hi there, yet another user here who signed up when I heard about the Pinebook Pro, and am also excited for the PinePhone when that is ready for release. Do we know the physical dimensions of the Pinebook Pro yet? Will they be the same/similar to the current 14" Pinebook?

Also do we have a solid idea of how long a single charge will be expected to last on both devices? I know particularly for the phone we're sitll in the early stages but I am still very curious
I also signed up due to interest in the Pinebook Pro. It would be very nice to buy it without any letters on keyboard. Just many black keys. WOW effect is guaranteed. I'm ready to make pre-order right now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,456 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,767 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,373 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,430 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,342 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,757 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,570 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,634 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,644 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim