Best OS...
I have tried quite a few different distros and I have settled on Debian Stretch Minimal. It boots to CLI and everything I use it for I use CLI programs. There's a few things I'm still trying to get figured out how to do, but mostly it's because of python's ncurses isn't working right. Maybe I'm missing a library, I don't know. I need to spend more time with it.

But, yeah, Stretch Minimal is great.
(11-20-2018, 06:17 AM)Luke Wrote: In anarsoul's arch you need to select xfce from de drop-down menu. Then it will enter the session.
Armbian doesn't have an image for the 1080p Pinebook... yet.
Don't know about NetBSD - heard a similar report. Perhaps it got fixed yesterday...

I'll give Arch another try then.
I tried NetBSD again yesterday. Still black screen. That said, it's not dead. It does a flash of the caps and numlock lights. It also does something which the previous build did which can be infuriating if you don't know. It changes the system clock to a seemingly random date decades in the future when going back to Linux. This means SSL certificates fail until the date and time is reset. Just something to keep in mind.

As for Armbian, it's unfortunate. I misunderstood a post I saw. I quite like Armbian.
(11-21-2018, 05:14 PM)ImmortanJoe Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 06:17 AM)Luke Wrote: In anarsoul's arch you need to select xfce from de drop-down menu. Then it will enter the session.
Armbian doesn't have an image for the 1080p Pinebook... yet.
Don't know about NetBSD - heard a similar report. Perhaps it got fixed yesterday...

I'll give Arch another try then.
I tried NetBSD again yesterday. Still black screen. That said, it's not dead. It does a flash of the caps and numlock lights. It also does something which the previous build did which can be infuriating if you don't know. It changes the system clock to a seemingly random date decades in the future when going back to Linux. This means SSL certificates fail until the date and time is reset. Just something to keep in mind.

As for Armbian, it's unfortunate. I misunderstood a post I saw. I quite like Armbian.

So two things.
1) Mainline Armbian is coming - I've been testing a WIP build today:

[Image: 89sIKgN.jpg]

2) And NetBSD must work, someone posted a video of them playing doom on it. Perhaps you'd ask in their IRC for pointers how to get it going.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I tried Armbian mainline last night. Although it's in the early stages it's already extremely usable and useful.

Unfortunately I'm not near anything for long enough bursts that I can carry out a conversation on IRC. I'm sure they'll get it sorted in their own time anyway.
as far as I am concerned Android is the most usable OS for the pinebook 1080. While some may be annoyed by the features that are intended for a touch screen, there are a large number of apps that work perfectly. Unlike the various linux flavors, I was able to establish a VPN connection and run chrome remote desktop to connect to my computer at work. I was also able to run teamviewer, as well as sync my work email etc. This machine can now be a low cost, high battery life unit that I can take with me and allows me to get things done. Running the Android 6.0 for 1080p
So far I'm really liking the Armbian distro - at boot it's using about 300 megs of ram and stuff mostly just works.  Except bluetooth and sound - but there's a patch on the way.

*IF* the Pine folks are thinking about a future default distro for the Pinebooks - they should look at this one.
(11-26-2018, 07:06 PM)damosan Wrote: So far I'm really liking the Armbian distro - at boot it's using about 300 megs of ram and stuff mostly just works.  Except bluetooth and sound - but there's a patch on the way.

*IF* the Pine folks are thinking about a future default distro for the Pinebooks - they should look at this one.

Armbian or Manjaro lxqt are certainly my candidate picks for future Pinebooks. But lets wait for kernel 4.20 and make a decisions then.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I can also vote for Armbian. This is most solid distribution (from what I tried), and even though it's still in testing, it offers superior performance (including GPU), better choice of packages and what's most important to me, experience with it fits exactly what I imagined when I wanted to get a Pinebook.

I will stay with Armbian and I'm sure that with 4.20 kernel more great stuff will happen.