How to get started?
I think maybe my issue is with phoenixcard itself. I've found I have to do a very specific dance:
insert card, open app, select drive, select image (even if it's already selected) select startup, click format, click burn. even then sometimes it errors and I have to close the app and do it again. and it's not my cards, I've tried 3 now and they all do this, and they all pass the h2 test.
(04-17-2016, 08:33 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 06:30 PM)riahim Wrote: Hello,
I apologize if this has been asked, but is there a tutorial or a quick-start guide? I"m not really sure where to start.
I'm familiar with using other microprocessor based FPGA boards which require downloading a program (i.e libero) and using verilog/C. However, as far as I can tell this is not needed for the pine64...? Basically, if anyone could help me get srated, that'd be great.
Thanks

Hey there!

An official quick start guide is in the works, but for now I'll help you out as best I can. 

Useful reference page - Pine64 wiki
Helpful thread: The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot

Needed:
Pine A64 board
Power Supply (PSU and micro USB cable)
MicroSD card
HDMI cable
Input device(s) - (keyboard, mouse, remote, pointer, etc)

Firstly, be careful handling the Pine A64 board to make sure it is not subjected to electrostatic discharge. Wearing and correctly utilising a grounding strap can help to mitigate the risks of ESD. At any rate, handle the board at the edges, avoid touching components on the board, and place on a safe surface (avoid carpets and any other material that is prone electrostatic build-up).

Then you'll need a reliable 5 volt, 2 amp (or higher) power supply. This is very important. If the amperage rating of the power supply is too low, the board will not boot properly. A marginally higher voltage for the PSU is ok (such as 5.1 volts - due to the nature of the micro usb connection, a 5.1v supply can help protect slightly against voltage drops which can cause undesirable function), but a significantly higher voltage will damage the Pine A64 board and may render it inoperative.

If using a power supply with a separate micro USB cable, try to use a cable with low resistance. Cables with high resistance will cause improper function and the unit may have trouble booting up. The thicker the internal cabling, the better (i.e. AWG (American Wire Gauge) 20 is better than AWG 28).

You will also need a decent microSD card. There are many sub-standard and fake microSD cards in circulation, and using just such a card will cause issues booting up. There are ways of testing microSD cards prior to installing the operating system to make sure they are ok for use. The main one is H2testw 1.4. Another is F3.

Next, you'll want a decent HDMI cable. As with micro USB cabling, quality of HDMI cable can vary a lot, so try and go for quality rather than cheapness. If you are using a HDMI to VGA/DVI adapter, be aware that some work better than others.

Finally, you will want to have a way of controlling the on-screen cursor and of typing, thus you will need a keyboard, mouse, touchpad/trackpad, or some kind of combo device that combines these two things. 

After you have all the physical things you need, you will need to download and install the operating system to microSD card. 

For the Android image, you will need to use the PhoenixCard software. A guide to using this software can be found on the Pine64 wiki, specifically here:
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PhoenixCard

Android (and other OS) images are to be found here:
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

There are also user-posted images on the forum, some of which allow you to circumvent use of PhoenixCard. Example:
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=537

Linux-based OS do not require use of PhoenixCard and can be burned using Win32 Disk Imager in Windows, or via the dd command in Unix-based systems.

Booting up the Pine A64 simply requires you to connect up the power supply via the micro USB input (you should also connect the HDMI cable and input devices, obviously).

I can only get Debian Linux to boot. none of the android Images i have tried will boot even if the burn says success. I have also tried the Ubuntu Linux Image, listed on Pine64 wiki page, and it will not boot either. I would apprechiate any help or advice you could give, thank you
(05-19-2016, 02:00 PM)PKB2003 Wrote:
I apologize if this has been asked, but is there a tutorial or a quick-start guide? I"m not really sure where to start.
I'm familiar with using other microprocessor based FPGA boards which require downloading a program (i.e libero) and using verilog/C. However, as far as I can tell this is not needed for the pine64...? Basically, if anyone could help me get srated, that'd be great.
Thanks

Hey there!

An official quick start guide is in the works, but for now I'll help you out as best I can. 

Needed:
Pine A64 board
MicroSD card
HDMI cable

Firstly, be careful handling the Pine A64 board to make sure it is not subjected to electrostatic discharge. Wearing and correctly utilising a grounding strap can help to mitigate the risks of ESD. At any rate, handle the board at the edges, avoid touching components on the board, and place on a safe surface (avoid carpets and any other material that is prone electrostatic build-up).

Then you'll need a reliable 5 volt, 2 amp (or higher) power supply. This is very important. If the amperage rating of the power supply is too low, the board will not boot properly. A marginally higher voltage for the PSU is ok (such as 5.1 volts - due to the nature of the micro usb connection, a 5.1v supply can help protect slightly against voltage drops which can cause undesirable function), but a significantly higher voltage will damage the Pine A64 board and may render it inoperative.

If using a power supply with a separate micro USB cable, try to use a cable with low resistance. Cables with high resistance will cause improper function and the unit may have trouble booting up. The thicker the internal cabling, the better (i.e. AWG (American Wire Gauge) 20 is better than AWG 28).

You will also need a decent microSD card. There are many sub-standard and fake microSD cards in circulation, and using just such a card will cause issues booting up. There are ways of testing microSD cards prior to installing the operating system to make sure they are ok for use. The main one is H2testw 1.4. Another is F3.

Next, you'll want a decent HDMI cable. As with micro USB cabling, quality of HDMI cable can vary a lot, so try and go for quality rather than cheapness. If you are using a HDMI to VGA/DVI adapter, be aware that some work better than others.

Finally, you will want to have a way of controlling the on-screen cursor and of typing, thus you will need a keyboard, mouse, touchpad/trackpad, or some kind of combo device that combines these two things. 

After you have all the physical things you need, you will need to download and install the operating system to microSD card. 

For the Android image, you will need to use the PhoenixCard software. A guide to using this software can be found on the Pine64 wiki, specifically here:

There are also user-posted images on the forum, some of which allow you to circumvent use of PhoenixCard. Example:

Linux-based OS do not require use of PhoenixCard and can be burned using Win32 Disk Imager in Windows, or via the dd command in Unix-based systems.

Booting up the Pine A64 simply requires you to connect up the power supply via the micro USB input (you should also connect the HDMI cable and input devices, obviously).

I can only get Debian Linux to boot. none of the android Images i have tried will boot even if the burn says success. I have also tried the Ubuntu Linux Image, listed on Pine64 wiki page, and it will not boot either. I would apprechiate any help or advice you could give, thank you

please take a look at my reply to another user here. Hope this helps.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-19-2016, 02:06 PM)Luke Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 02:00 PM)PKB2003 Wrote:
Thanks

Hey there!

Needed:
Pine A64 board
MicroSD card
HDMI cable

please take a look at my reply to another user here. Hope this helps.
Tried all the steps, Android will not boot. i can only get Debian to boot. i was really hoping to be able get android on this board.
(05-19-2016, 02:23 PM)PKB2003 Wrote: Tried all the steps, Android will not boot. i can only get Debian to boot. i was really hoping to be able get android on this board.

Which board have you got? (512MB, 1GB, 2GB RAM)?

Have you tried burning both types of available Android image? (PhoenixCard, dd)
(05-19-2016, 03:05 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 02:23 PM)PKB2003 Wrote: Tried all the steps, Android will not boot. i can only get Debian to boot. i was really hoping to be able get android on this board.

i have the 1GB Board, and i have tried both types of android images.

even bought a new sd card, i got a Gskill 32 GB class 10, and a new power supply.
(05-19-2016, 03:13 PM)PKB2003 Wrote:

even bought a new sd card, i got a Gskill 32 GB class 10, and a new power supply.

Gskill is not a brand of micro sd I've heard of before (I live in the UK). Have you tested the micro sd card with H2testw 1.4?

Also, when you say Android and the Ubuntu image will not boot, are you getting any results, or just a black screen of nothing?
(05-19-2016, 03:18 PM)Ghost Wrote:

Gskill is not a brand of micro sd I've heard of before (I live in the UK). Have you tested the micro sd card with H2testw 1.4?

Also, when you say Android and the Ubuntu image will not boot, are you getting any results, or just a black screen of nothing?

adding to Ghost's questions above ^  2 more things: 1) what peripherals do you have plugged in (ethernet; keyboard; mouse? 2) using Phoenix card did you remember to set 'Startup!' ?  

If you have the ethernet cable connected then please disconnect during first boot - give it some time (see nr6 here)
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

GSkill is a brand here i the US. Yes to testing the MicroSD Card, and it passed. i only get a black screen of nothing.

(05-19-2016, 06:14 PM)Luke Wrote:

adding to Ghost's questions above ^  2 more things: 1) what peripherals do you have plugged in (ethernet; keyboard; mouse? 2) using Phoenix card did you remember to set 'Startup!' ?  

If you have the ethernet cable connected then please disconnect during first boot - give it some time (see nr6 here)

only have the screen and power plugged in. i also did set Phoenix card to startup mode.
Hi everyone !

I am new to this stuff. I am trying to getting the microsd ready but i am currently running into some issue with phoenix card. I have 32 gb micro sd card. I downloaded the latest android image and phoenix card. When i tried to select the android image, it keeps telling me the "script is not found". I tried doing it for remixos and same thing happened.

Any one have any idea on what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting started in nRF52 in pinetime64 Quim 0 2,123 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Quim
  PineA64 Getting Started Guide khgoh 12 25,386 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Doryan
  Getting started using OSX cranchh 17 31,693 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Last Post: killorfb