How to mount new microSD card?
I am running KDE Neon from EMMC.

I want to add a new microSD card for added storage.

I inserted the card and opened Dolphin. The new card shows as "60.0 GiB Removable Media", and "/dev/mmcblk1p1", but Dolphin can't mount it.

I suspect I need to format the new card, but how?

I have searched here and elsewhere on the Web, but haven't found an answer.

How do I format and mount a new microSD card?
(11-10-2018, 12:03 PM)jschall Wrote: I am running KDE Neon from EMMC.

I want to add a new microSD card for added storage.

I inserted the card and opened Dolphin. The new card shows as "60.0 GiB Removable Media", and "/dev/mmcblk1p1", but Dolphin can't mount it.

I suspect I need to format the new card, but how?

I have searched here and elsewhere on the Web, but haven't found an answer.

How do I format and mount a new microSD card?

You may need to install the exfat packages if it's formatted that way.

Code:
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
Thanks for the suggestion, @evilbunny.

But I would prefer to re-format the  microSD card as ext4.

Can I do that?
Yeah. Once you know the physical disk name, which you found (/dev/mmcblk1), you can format it like any other disk in Linux. There is plenty of documentation of this online, it's no different (generally speaking) than using a USB or regular spinning disk. Once you format it extX, the system should recognize it and mount it when you plug it in.

I've found microsd performance is pretty slow on the Pinebook. USB might be better. Don't know.
Thanks, @acruhl.

You said "format it like any other disk in Linux".

How? What tool do I need?
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p1
Wait, not mmcblk0! That's your running disk!

Use lsblk to figure out which one you want to format. If it's a microsd, it's probably mmcblk1 if you booted from the internal emmc disk.
(11-11-2018, 07:02 PM)acruhl Wrote: Wait, not mmcblk0! That's your running disk!

Use lsblk to figure out which one you want to format. If it's a microsd, it's probably mmcblk1 if you booted from the internal emmc disk.

Right, if you are running Legacy kernel.
But, for Mainline, Armbian Mainline for example, the eMMC will always be /dev/mmcblk2, either if you are booting from it or from SDCard ...
I know which drive I want to format - it's /dev/mmcblk1. I'm booting from the EMMC, which is /dev/mmcblk0.

Thank you for your replies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,607 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
Lightbulb Boot from SD card / boot options lodger 13 23,817 11-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Link to 11.6 pinebook mainboard schematics for removing wifi card Shoananas 0 1,954 05-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Shoananas
  [SOLVED] Can't boot when SD card inserted jschall 5 7,639 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: jschall
  Boot from MicroSD ramboton 3 5,315 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Move Installation from SD Card to eMMC? soupbowl 4 8,678 11-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: acruhl
Question Installer shows SD Card size 0GB atr.mbl 1 2,900 08-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  SD CARD - EMMC jmbernabotto 3 5,553 07-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Last Post: pfeerick