Syabas Technology
Got a TXT from DHL again, I had to pay tax plus DHL fees. DHL fees were half of the tax.  Angry

But then aagain, the delivery time did not change, so, with a little bit of good luck, I will see my 11" Pinebook when I get home ffrom work.
Better start downloading the Linux image, as I have to replace the  16 GB eMMC for a 64 GB.
The pinebook cost me 175,35€ (124,52 laptop + shipment, 50,83 customs clearance and fee) for the original $99 (~87€)

Almost 300% [Image: 744e294f94042d53a35348ddc46747b5.svg]
(11-08-2018, 02:28 AM)e-minguez Wrote: The pinebook cost me 175,35€ (124,52 laptop + shipment, 50,83 customs clearance and fee) for the original $99 (~87€)

Nothing new, the same for me, when I ordered my 14" PB a year ago. You should expect it and I think it was mentioned a few times on this forum Sad

This is why PB is not so good deal for the total price, when you consider that you can buy much stronger machine for that price.
(11-08-2018, 03:17 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 02:28 AM)e-minguez Wrote: The pinebook cost me 175,35€ (124,52 laptop + shipment, 50,83 customs clearance and fee) for the original $99 (~87€)

Nothing new, the same for me, when I ordered my 14" PB a year ago. You should expect it and I think it was mentioned a few times on this forum Sad

This is why PB is not so good deal for the total price, when you consider that you can buy much stronger machine for that price.

Well, being able to do the math properly helps. 300% it isn't. It's not even 100%.
But that's the issue with all international orders. If it's going to be taxed, it's going to be more expensive.
But then, try to find a similar product within your economic region. Good luck with that. The Pinebook is quite unique and even with the inevitable markup, it still is a good system. I a quite looking forward to lay my hands on mine ASAP.
I don't want to compare what should not be compared, but we can have another same looking Chinese brand 13.3" x86 notebook with 6 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD for some 220 € with almost free shipping without taxes via EU Priority Line.

I wonder why Pine64 does not ship using gearbest or geekbuying sites, which offers this kind of transport which is much cheaper. Is it too complicated to make a contract with these online shops?
(11-08-2018, 06:19 AM)Wizzard Wrote: I don't want to compare what should not be compared, but we can have another same looking Chinese brand 13.3" x86 notebook with 6 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD for some 220 € with almost free shipping without taxes via EU Priority Line.

I wonder why Pine64 does not ship using gearbest or geekbuying sites, which offers this kind of transport which is much cheaper. Is it too complicated to make a contract with these online shops?

Over here in the EU, all my deliveries from China have to go through customs. I have to pay VAT on all of them. One thing that I could have saved is the DHL handling fee. But then, it took the Pinebook less than 60 hours from HK to over here, whereas China Mail usually takes 30 days. Yes, China Mail is cheaper, but I don't like to wait 30 days.
The shops like Gearbest and Geekbuying offer special "EU Priority Line" shipping that is not affected by VAT either customs. I tried that and ordered 400 € notebook from China and have not paid a penny for the customs, so it really works. It looks like the package is repacked somewhere in Netherlands and then sent to the final destination. The total time since placing my order to receiving the parcel was exactly 14 days.
(11-08-2018, 06:44 AM)Wizzard Wrote: The shops like Gearbest and Geekbuying offer special "EU Priority Line" shipping that is not affected by VAT either customs. I tried that and ordered 400 € notebook from China and have not paid a penny for the customs, so it really works.  It looks like the package is repacked somewhere in Netherlands and then sent to the final destination. The total time since placing my order to receiving the parcel was exactly 14 days.

In pass, we have contact with Gearbest and others, they are not willing to explore. However, from time to time, we keep explore on way that can save buyer shipping cost and tax hassle. If there is any good suggestion or knows someone that can offer such shipping service, please email to info@pine64.org
I agree DHL is pricy, but

they have delivered really quickly.
My shipping note was 12th Nov but on 9th Nov I suddenly received text message that they will deliver the same day.
That was so sudden that I was not at home.
The next day though I could pick up my package at the nearby DHL depot. So I had the Pinebook for the weekend Smile 

I still think the Customs handling fee that DHL charges is a bit high, but then at least you get something for your money and every carrier charges this fee one way or the other.