cpu and case fan headers on PRO (NAS box)
I am assembling a recently arrived "new" NAS box.  There are of course two fans (cpu, case).  There is only one header labeled FAN (near gpio bus).   I assume that if for the cpu fan and can be controlled by os/kernel?   Where then should the case fan connect?  There is another compatible two pin header labeled RIC nearby the fan header.

Also Is there any proper "motherboard" manual like one would get with a standard motherboard.    The wiki has no detailed information on the board and it's connectors/headers.
(10-04-2018, 03:56 PM)dkebler Wrote: I am assembling a recently arrived "new" NAS box.  There are of course two fans (cpu, case).  There is only one header labeled FAN (near gpio bus).   I assume that if for the cpu fan and can be controlled by os/kernel?   Where then should the case fan connect?  There is another compatible two pin header labeled RIC nearby the fan header.

Also Is there any proper "motherboard" manual like one would get with a standard motherboard.    The wiki has no detailed information on the board and it's connectors/headers.

check this: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6598
(10-04-2018, 04:00 PM)tllim Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 03:56 PM)dkebler Wrote: I am assembling a recently arrived "new" NAS box.  There are of course two fans (cpu, case).  There is only one header labeled FAN (near gpio bus).   I assume that if for the cpu fan and can be controlled by os/kernel?   Where then should the case fan connect?  There is another compatible two pin header labeled RIC nearby the fan header.

check this: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6598

I saw that already.  He is only using a heatsink no cpu fan. 

I do my best to look for answers before posting.  My issue is I have BOTH a cpu and case fan and no obvious headers for both.
Take a picture of the board.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Picture? it's a rock64 pro in the new NAS case. Not much to see as board is covered by drives
https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=61454
See #11 the pi2 header. To the right is fan header. Two over is a header that says "RIC" but is two pins and would fit a fan connector.
These headers are undocumented as far as I can tell. What is the RIC header?

Better question: Has anyone set up the new NAS box (with a rock64pro obviously) with both a cpu and case fan? If so how did you power both
Real time clock?
click Board image  for fan - FAN, Number 4 (PWM controlled fan header)
Number 6 - not RIC, but RTC (for Real Time Clock battery backup header)
There are no signals for the fan on the GPIO connector (Number 2 - Pi-2 bus header)

connection of the second fan is not provided, plug FAN in either a chassis fan or a MCU fan.
If you want to use two fans, then connect the second one to the power supply yourself.
For example, I connected the second fan to an homemade thermostat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
my Multimedia desktops: ASUS H310T G5500, ODROIDs -XU4, -XU3, -C2, -C1;
my trash BananaPi; RPi B, B+; ODROID-W
(10-04-2018, 03:56 PM)dkebler Wrote: There is another compatible two pin header labeled RIC nearby the fan header.
Do you mean item 6 on the labelled diagram?

(10-04-2018, 03:56 PM)dkebler Wrote: The wiki has no detailed information on the board and it's connectors/headers.

Not sure how much more information you need than is in the table - but contributions to the wiki page are welcome.

Back to your original question - there is only 1 specific fan header (PWM controlled) on the board. There are suitable fan voltages elsewhere if you want to hack. Unless I am very much mistaken the NAS design is for a case fan with a passive sink on the CPU (which will benefit from the case flow to some extent).
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Thx all I get the lay of the land now

For now I'm going to forget about the cpu fan and see how that goes temperature wise.

If need be I can go with a 4 wire case fan and use existing header for cpu fan and then drive case fan with something like this https://goo.gl/izUx2V or use pwm from the gpio header which will give me control via os.
in my opinion it is easier to connect one transistor to connector the GPIO (Pi2-BUS),
having organized a PWM signal from the system, and adjust the duty ratio in it.
exactly the same as it is done on the first fan.
or even from the same PWM signal (FAN_CTL_H).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
my Multimedia desktops: ASUS H310T G5500, ODROIDs -XU4, -XU3, -C2, -C1;
my trash BananaPi; RPi B, B+; ODROID-W

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 673 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 958 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  Troubleshooting RockPro64 + Roshambo case SSD problems necoc.yaotl 1 2,878 11-30-2020, 11:10 PM
Last Post: necoc.yaotl
  Rockpro64 Case WIP xbcsmith 1 3,541 09-26-2020, 12:46 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Rockpro64 Case WIP xbcsmith 0 1,982 01-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Last Post: xbcsmith
  RockPro64 & Roshambo Case Gouki 2 4,551 01-26-2020, 12:57 AM
Last Post: EagleFlyFree
  NAS Case and two hard drives? jsfrederick 7 8,882 12-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Last Post: hemertje
Question How to automatically reboot rockpro64 in case it shutdown abruptly ? seaurchin 2 3,950 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Photo RockPro64 Case 2x3.5" HDDs and 2x2.5 HDDs Luke 48 109,799 10-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Tim Jones
  Basic question on the Nas case of the rockPro Slam 1 3,166 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Slam