>2GB RAM? SO-DIMM expansion?
Hi all,

I recently stumbled on the PINE64, and so far it looks like a nice board.  I'm actually looking around for something that could replace my x86-based laptop for my workstation.  I'm doing more and more with ARM-based devices these days and less that is x86-specific.

I could just as easily use x86-based virtualisation on a server elsewhere for the x86-only workloads, and use an ARM-based desktop.  The PINE64 looks good for that.  For my needs, this will be a fixed workstation, so no need for Bluetooth or WiFi, but they don't hurt by being present.

The sticking point is RAM.  Now, the PINE64 has a 64-bit CPU in it, so theoretically can address more than 4GB RAM.  Some applications on my workstation currently like to eat RAM, Thunderbird regularly decides to eat about 4GB on its own.  I don't think limiting myself to 2GB is such a great idea.  I could try to fix the problem in Thunderbird, but if it's not that, it'll be something else that needs the RAM.

Therefore, are there any plans for either an 8GB model, or perhaps one with a SO-DIMM slot for upgradable RAM?
(04-15-2016, 06:54 PM)Redhatter Wrote: Hi all,

I recently stumbled on the PINE64, and so far it looks like a nice board.  I'm actually looking around for something that could replace my x86-based laptop for my workstation.  I'm doing more and more with ARM-based devices these days and less that is x86-specific.

I could just as easily use x86-based virtualisation on a server elsewhere for the x86-only workloads, and use an ARM-based desktop.  The PINE64 looks good for that.  For my needs, this will be a fixed workstation, so no need for Bluetooth or WiFi, but they don't hurt by being present.

The sticking point is RAM.  Now, the PINE64 has a 64-bit CPU in it, so theoretically can address more than 4GB RAM.  Some applications on my workstation currently like to eat RAM, Thunderbird regularly decides to eat about 4GB on its own.  I don't think limiting myself to 2GB is such a great idea.  I could try to fix the problem in Thunderbird, but if it's not that, it'll be something else that needs the RAM.

Therefore, are there any plans for either an 8GB model, or perhaps one with a SO-DIMM slot for upgradable RAM?

Hey Redhatter, welcome to the forum. The question of more and expandable RAM came up near the beginning of the forum's inception, see this thread.
Ahh many thanks, did look in the FAQ but didn't see a mention of it there.

So you're hobbled by the short-sightedness of the SoC designer. Never mind then, I'll have to wait it out I guess. :-)
(3GB would still have me paging out to swap lots.)
Not short sighted at all. They're targeting a specific market -- tablets and media players. The amount of addressible DRAM is directly related to the number of pins dedicated to the DRAM interface, which feeds into the cost of the packaging and memory controller real estate.