Video playing Faster
So recently installed lxde and when playing video be in kodi, omx or youtube video plays faster. How do I make it play at regular speed?
I'm reminded that this is fixed with the installation of the last kernel.

I got it

Quote:dts: rockpro64: fix i2s2 (4x speed of audio)

since

Quote:4.4.132-1081-rockchip-ayufan
Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language

1. Quartz64 Model B, 4GB RAM

2. Quartz64 Model A, 4GB RAM

3. RockPro64 v2.1

https://linux-nerds.org/
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Solved by following very simple instruction found at the following page:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...upgrade.md

Basically

1) Uncomment pre-releases from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ayufan-rock64.list

2) Search for available kernels: apt-cache search linux-image

3) Manually install the <kernel>, ex: linux-image-4.15.0-rockchip-ayufan-177-g59389fa34

apt-get update
apt-get install <kernel>

4) Reboot

Copied textually from reference page.

Thank You Frank for pointing out how to fix, you and ayufan are doing a great service for the community of this great sbc with so much potential.
I tried the latest namely:
Linux rockpro64 4.4.154-1124-rockchip-ayufan-ged3ce4d15ec1 #1 SMP Mon Oct 22 20:59:41 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Now the Video and Audio are playing super slow. I also tried to run the latest 4.19 based kernel. The system boots but the LXDE does not come up correctly. How can I fix both?
4.4.154 has broken HDMI sound, it's being looked into. I suspect it's the synopsys bridge driver. This weekend I was going to bring-forward the 4.4.138 version and see if it works in 4.4.154.

4.4.138-1100 is the best version (in my opinion) to switch to.

Then you'd need to rebuild the DTB to enable rkvdec by using dtedit.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6896
The idea is in the second post but I only spoke about it offhandedly and I didn't include a step-by-step guide.
1) You really gotta backup your current DTB first. Run 'dtedit' once and then cancel out of the editor, that will generate /boot/dtb-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever. Then copy that file again so you have another one, call it "/boot/dtb-4.4.x-WORKING" or something.
2) Backup your current /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
3) Make sure you have a way to mount your root filesystem in case something gets messed up, so you can rearrange extlinux.conf or whatever, if it breaks. It's partition # 7.
4) Edit /boot/dts-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever (notice the "s" in "dts" this time, not "b"). This is the script file that gets compiled to create the "dtb" version.
5) Find "rkvdec"'s braced area and set its status = "okay" like other devices are. It's set to "disabled"
6) dtc /boot/dts-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever > /boot/dtb-4.4.x-RKVDEC
7) Edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and if you have a 'devicetreedir' line, delete it and put 'fdt /boot/dtb-4-4.x-RKVDEC' in its place. If you already have a 'fdt' line, update it to reflect your new DTB.
8) Reboot.

If something goes wrong, fix extlinux.conf to point at the "WORKING" DTB you backed up before by using the 'fdt' parameter.
Or you could even use 'devicetreedir /boot/dtbs/4.4.x-ayufan-whatever/' if your system has /boot/dtbs/ tree available

* I was also able to enable "rga" and "vpu" and it didn't blow up on me, and those will become useful later.
* Now rkmpv should play videos great. If it doesn't, it may be the LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the beginning of the rkmpv script. whereis rkmpv, edit it. (On mine, I didn't need /gbm at the end of my ld library path in the rkmpv script; my stuff is installed one dir back, so I just delete that off the end. My system is a hodgepodge.).
* If you use 'mpv' yourself you'd have to tell it everything on the command line every time:
mpv --vo=gpu --gpu-context=drm --hwdec=rkmpp filename.mkv

To get kodi to work with rkvdec, you probably have to build kodi with external ffmpeg (ffmpeg with rkmpp enabled, and libmpp installed).
I think ayufan's own ffmpeg is already that way, but I think you have to have the -dev version while building kodi, and I think pre-made kodi packages always use internal ffmpeg which means no rkvdec.
I'm not sure about all of that part because I haven't rebuilt kodi yet, I'm going to be doing that tomorrow.
I just know my kodi hasn't changed at all while ffmpeg and mpv has changed to perfect playback.
(11-30-2018, 08:12 AM)fosf0r Wrote: 4.4.154 has broken HDMI sound, it's being looked into. I suspect it's the synopsys bridge driver. This weekend I was going to bring-forward the 4.4.138 version and see if it works in 4.4.154.

4.4.138-1100 is the best version (in my opinion) to switch to.

Then you'd need to rebuild the DTB to enable rkvdec by using dtedit.

The idea is in the second post but I only spoke about it offhandedly and I didn't include a step-by-step guide.
1) You really gotta backup your current DTB first. Run 'dtedit' once and then cancel out of the editor, that will generate /boot/dtb-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever.  Then copy that file again so you have another one, call it "/boot/dtb-4.4.x-WORKING" or something.
2) Backup your current /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
3) Make sure you have a way to mount your root filesystem in case something gets messed up, so you can rearrange extlinux.conf or whatever, if it breaks. It's partition # 7.
4) Edit /boot/dts-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever (notice the "s" in "dts" this time, not "b"). This is the script file that gets compiled to create the "dtb" version.
5) Find "rkvdec"'s braced area and set its status = "okay" like other devices are. It's set to "disabled"
6) dtc /boot/dts-4.4.x-ayufan-whatever > /boot/dtb-4.4.x-RKVDEC
7) Edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and if you have a 'devicetreedir' line, delete it and put 'fdt /boot/dtb-4-4.x-RKVDEC' in its place. If you already have a 'fdt' line, update it to reflect your new DTB.
8) Reboot.

If something goes wrong, fix extlinux.conf to point at the "WORKING" DTB you backed up before by using the 'fdt' parameter.
Or you could even use 'devicetreedir /boot/dtbs/4.4.x-ayufan-whatever/' if your system has /boot/dtbs/ tree available

* I was also able to enable "rga" and "vpu" and it didn't blow up on me, and those will become useful later.
* Now rkmpv should play videos great. If it doesn't, it may be the LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the beginning of the rkmpv script. whereis rkmpv, edit it.  (On mine, I didn't need /gbm at the end of my ld library path in the rkmpv script; my stuff is installed one dir back, so I just delete that off the end. My system is a hodgepodge.).
* If you use 'mpv' yourself you'd have to tell it everything on the command line every time:
mpv --vo=gpu --gpu-context=drm --hwdec=rkmpp filename.mkv

To get kodi to work with rkvdec, you probably have to build kodi with external ffmpeg (ffmpeg with rkmpp enabled, and libmpp installed).
I think ayufan's own ffmpeg is already that way, but I think you have to have the -dev version while building kodi, and I think pre-made kodi packages always use internal ffmpeg which means no rkvdec.
I'm not sure about all of that part because I haven't rebuilt kodi yet, I'm going to be doing that tomorrow.
I just know my kodi hasn't changed at all while ffmpeg and mpv has changed to perfect playback.

Thanks for the update. I was trying to build the 4.19 kernel. I have the neon Security extension built there that I would like to try out.
The above would probably be similar in 4.19, it uses device tree database too.
However, I can't even build rockchips' own 4.19, and I haven't even tried ayufan's 4.19 but since 4.4.154 doesn't even work right and mainline kernel is missing a lot of things needed for HDMI, I don't even really want to try yet.

Plus, 4.4.20 is moving through rc's like crazy and has thousands of lines supporting SoC devices, so I'm hopeful that regular mainline kernel will start being a viable option.

I will adamantly continue to use 4.4.138-1100 until I can find a reason to switch though.

As for your 4.19, what does "LXDE doesn't come up correctly" mean?
There are a lot of kernel pieces involving graphics display for rockchip.

Also you may want to consider using fbturbo driver instead of xorg armsoc driver, it might make LXDE work for you, might not:
https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo
I found out what to do for Kodi, so I'll just reference my thread here:
And I'll post an update there once I rebuild kodi to try to use accelerated ffmpeg.
If it works then kodi-gbm will be very powerful!

I was not successful at building rc1 so I will have to just build b5 again with " --with-ffmpeg=shared "
When I rebuilt kodi 18.0b5 with " -Dwith-ffmpeg=shared " during the first cmake, it works great.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...7#pid43037
All videos are accelerated in kodi now, for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RockPro64 linux console video mode callegar 0 834 09-06-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: callegar
  Video playback hiccups with Fedora 35 on RockPro64 whitecat23 4 3,488 02-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Last Post: whitecat23
  Hardware Accelerated Video Playback Guide xkaiser 2 5,795 04-10-2020, 11:52 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
Information [archived] 0.8.X images from ayufan; Mate DE + video / 3d acceleration Luke 28 35,216 05-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: rickard