Problem with connection timeouts
Hi,

I have a RockPro64 with the sata drives being used for a file server. It serves my movies to my three kodi boxes running on Raspberry Pi 3.

the problem I face is when I try to stream a movie, every kodi box freezes at around 51 seconds. The error is a connection timeout with the RockPro64 box.

I have tried OpenMediaVault and a plain Debian install with NFS on my Rockpro64 box, and both experience the exact same issue. I have also tried multiple hard drives. I know the problem is not with the Kodi boxes because it is happening to all three of them, and my original Windows PC that is acting as a file server now does not have this issue.

What could be the problem here? The RockPro64 should have plenty of resources to do this. Did I just get a lemon?

Thanks!
Hey, please try streaming via dlna and let me know if you experience the same problem. I have a theory but please test this first. Thanks.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-06-2018, 03:13 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey, please try streaming via dlna and let me know if you experience the same problem. I have a theory but please test this first. Thanks.

Well, I have been trying to get DLNA working but have not been able to yet. I set up MiniDLNA on my OpenMediaVault server, but when I try to connect to it in Kodi it throws an error that it cannot find the MAC address. I will keep looking into getting that set up and give an update.
Well, I got DLNA set up on the RockPro64 box, and I can see the movies on my Kodi boxes. Unfortunately the movies will not play. After about 60 seconds of them trying to play, Kodi throws an error. Looking at the Kodi logs I see a connection timeout.

The miniDLNA logs show:
[2018/09/06 18:37:24] upnphttp.c:1281: debug: sendfile error :: error no. 32 [Broken pipe]

I checked my router logs and there were no ports being blocked.
I just tried another hard drive running in a hub connected to RockPro64 via USB. Still the same issue with all streaming: complete freeze after 50 seconds due to timeout. So, the problem doesn't seem to be with my drives or the SATA card. When doing a file transfer to the RockPro64, it is faster than my current junker NAS. It does jump between 60 and 90 Mb/sec on the transfer fairly regularly, but even with it not being steady it should have plenty of speed. And if it was just due to slow speeds, wouldn't the file just buffer?
I was able to reproduce the issue in SMB.

In SMB add the following to extras:
Code:
server max protocol = SMB2

and disable 'Use Sendfile'

I think I had a similar problem. I found 2 workarounds

1) Try a different network adapter. I used a USB-C ethernet dongle and network connection was perfect.
2) Disable rx/tx checksumming. This fixed the issue but it does not persist through reboots. I put a line in my rc.local to disable at start
Code:
ethtool -K eth0 rx off tx off
Thanks Luke! This worked perfectly!
Check the latest kernel commits. Maybe the issue is resolved?
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-k...b91f5bbdbc
(09-30-2018, 06:19 PM)Takenover83 Wrote: Check the latest kernel commits. Maybe the issue is resolved?
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-k...b91f5bbdbc

Haven't check, can someone check and report back ? Can't really do it on my setup now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  RockPro64 Debian xrdb -- problem connecting emarsh 0 861 05-19-2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: emarsh
  Connection but No Internet Blake 5 6,506 10-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Blake
  RockPro 64 V2.1 Boot problem only DDR Version ... message nutilius 5 7,000 05-02-2020, 03:26 AM
Last Post: freeviv
  RockPro64 boot problem MaxPesenti 2 3,793 06-21-2019, 01:17 AM
Last Post: MaxPesenti
  Lan Port Problem acwild 0 1,630 01-26-2019, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acwild