Home server questions
Lightbulb 
Hello all,

I need a small server to run on my living room (no space elsewhere), to be quiet and to use it for storage/nas, plex server, kodi, and some gaming if applicable (mame, snes psx etc) while will be connected to my 40" TV.

When I looked on RockPro64 4GB with the NAS case I thought that this is ideal for the job that I want.

So I intent to buy RockPro64 4GB, NAS Case, emmc 64GB, WiFi/Bluetooth Module, heatsinks/fan, PSU EU 5A and connect 2 HDD on it.
But before I buy it I have some questions, and I will appreciate any help:
1) Is v2.1 board available and without any H/W problems as the versions before (resistor removal etc)
2) Does PCIe SATA card works?
3) Which linux distro do you suggest in order to have desktop experience?
4) Based on (3) does it supports HW acceleration for Kodi?
5) Based on (3) can run Plex server (not just stream but transcode)?
6) Based on (3) I would want to install MAME, snes etc emulators. Would a bluetooth gamepad work?
7) Based on (3)  will a bluetooth Air mouse work?

The board will work as a server and NAS mostly but I want to be easy to control it with mouse and play some retro games from time to time.

EDIT: Looking the new ABS case with the graphene heatsink, I was thinking If I could power up a 2.5" HDD 1TB that I have with an external enclosure from the USB3.0 port.
It would take less space in the shelve under my TV.
I want to do exactly the same: RockPro64 4GB with NAS case and to begin with 1x 8TB WD Red, or maybe WD Red Pro. To be used as a home NAS and a media server.

Since a month has passed from your post, I was wondering how far you are with the project.
You mentioned a EU power plug, so given that you're from the EU: how long was the shipping time? Did you have to pay any customs fees?
I am still waiting for the order.
I ordered at 5th of September.

17th of September was posted by Pine...
We have 3/10/2018 and it is still at HK processing center...
(08-25-2018, 07:40 AM)jannerman Wrote: Hello all,

I need a small server to run on my living room (no space elsewhere), to be quiet and to use it for storage/nas, plex server, kodi, and some gaming if applicable (mame, snes psx etc) while will be connected to my 40" TV.

When I looked on RockPro64 4GB with the NAS case I thought that this is ideal for the job that I want.

So I intent to buy RockPro64 4GB, NAS Case, emmc 64GB, WiFi/Bluetooth Module, heatsinks/fan, PSU EU 5A and connect 2 HDD on it.
But before I buy it I have some questions, and I will appreciate any help:
1) Is v2.1 board available and without any H/W problems as the versions before (resistor removal etc)
2) Does PCIe SATA card works?
3) Which linux distro do you suggest in order to have desktop experience?
4) Based on (3) does it supports HW acceleration for Kodi?
5) Based on (3) can run Plex server (not just stream but transcode)?
6) Based on (3) I would want to install MAME, snes etc emulators. Would a bluetooth gamepad work?
7) Based on (3)  will a bluetooth Air mouse work?

The board will work as a server and NAS mostly but I want to be easy to control it with mouse and play some retro games from time to time.

EDIT: Looking the new ABS case with the graphene heatsink, I was thinking If I could power up a 2.5" HDD 1TB that I have with an external enclosure from the USB3.0 port.
It would take less space in the shelve under my TV.

1) Yes, only problems atm is WiFi and usb3 boot.
2) Yes
3) i don't use desktop on rp64

My NAS ist running fine for

Code:
rock64@rockpro64v_2_1:~$ uptime
22:02:05 up 14 days,  4:09,  1 user,  load average: 0,00, 0,00, 0,00

My NAS: SD-Card boot, 2 * 2,5 Zoll 2TB HDD.
Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language

1. Quartz64 Model B, 4GB RAM

2. Quartz64 Model A, 4GB RAM

3. RockPro64 v2.1

https://linux-nerds.org/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible HW Transcode with Media Server and Docker dperrigo18 0 1,059 02-10-2022, 02:37 AM
Last Post: dperrigo18
  hardrock64/rockpro64 questions xmixahlx 3 4,786 11-26-2020, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Munchkin
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,649 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  RockPro64 powerful enough as a Plex Media Server? TOMillr 14 21,713 09-18-2018, 03:20 AM
Last Post: dukla2000