A user's guide (manual) is really needed; the wiki page isn't enough
As far as I can see, Pine Microsystems doesn't provide a complete user's guide (manual) for the RockPro64. IMHO the wiki page isn't enough for ordinary users. Many of us (including myself) have coped, but perhaps many couldn't (or wouldn't). I think that it'd be good if the developers devote some of their precious time to writing such a user documentation. I know that writing docs isn't as pleasant as developing hardware or software, but who can do it better, if it's really needed? Thank you for your attention!
OK, so the question is not whether this is needed but only who could write it. I couldn't write a whole manual, but could at least add some information to the wiki page. For example, one of the most important (albeit small as it may seem) omissions is the role of the SW4 jumper. Here's what I've written elsewhere in this forum (slightly edited):

The possible combinations are summarised below (1 = present, 0 = not present, S = boot from the microSD card, M = boot from the eMMC module, X = unsupported combination):

Code:
microSD eMMC SW4 boot
   0    0    0    X
   0    0    1    X
   0    1    0    M
   0    1    1    X
   1    0    0    S
   1    0    1    S
   1    1    0    X
   1    1    1    S

Is this table correct? (I must be 100% sure before I add it.) If so, where on the wiki page is best to add it? The "Storage" section? It could also be helpful to explain how to remove the jumper "on the fly" several seconds after turning the power on in order to boot from the microSD card but then obtain access to the eMMC card. (This trick has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.)
Before you start writing anything (which I am happy to hear as I've been asking for help with the wiki / maintaining the wiki for over a year) tell in more detail, what information and docs would you like to see in the wiki ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Well, ideally it could contain an entire user's guide as in the wiki of the NanoPC T4 for example. But this is a big task, so at first it'd be good to add a section on how to write the image on the storage device (microSD card or eMMC module) and boot from it. The above SW4 table could be part of such a section.
If you'd put together a table of content, perhaps we could get another 3 people or so and write it up.

Would be willing to try chip in.

There are little "nuggets" in Ayufan scripts that need to be harvested, as well as bits on Bullet64 blog/forum.

Agree best place to start is a ToC. To cause an argument start with the NanPC one! (And give them credit - link to theirs and Bullet64 & Ayufan github as appropriate)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Great. Well, the RockPro64 wiki has the following TOC at the moment:

My proposal is to expand it as follows (new subtitles are in red; fell free to edit it, remove/add/swap parts of it, etc):

Ok, except:
  • Prerequisites
  • Debug with serial pins
  • Flash image to microSD card
  • Flash image to eMMC card
These are either already covered OR should be added to this section: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/NOOB
Its pointless to repeat the same thing for each single board.

I agree (I forgot about that page). But one of the methods to flash the eMMC module is using the trick with SW4 removal after boot, so it could be added to the "Select boot device" section or to that NOOB page.
(08-16-2018, 06:54 AM)lucho Wrote: My proposal is to expand it as follows (new subtitles are in red; fell free to edit it, remove/add/swap parts of it, etc):

• ROCKPro64
  • Board Layout
  • Select boot device (SW4)
  • Power, Reset and Recover buttons
  • Getting started - Android
  • Getting started - linux
    • Connecting WiFi/Bluetooth module
    • Connecting SSD and other devices to the PCIe bus

My suggestion above. (made a bit of a mess and cant correct - SW4 and buttons should be more indented under board layout!)

Luke - as per NOOB page you have to keep us on track for the overall Pine64 wiki.

I dream that the wiki page(s) become the go-to source of info, and should at least index any useful tutorial stuff in the forums or elsewhere.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise needed, which OS / applications to use? hemertje 7 7,643 12-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Last Post: hemertje
  OpenWRT installation guide for RockPro64 Summer 1 3,957 07-16-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: mocara
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,649 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  What's up with the Rockchip Open Source Wiki and main site? Tigger 4 4,745 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Tigger
  ROCKPro64 wiki main page tllim 2 4,968 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: tllim